What is the best cell phone for MFT? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

What is the best cell phone for MFT?

Sabers am

Reaction score
City, State
Monroe, IN
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 Explorer Limited
I never thought a vehicle purchase would cause me to get a new cell phone. We just brought home our new 2013 Explorer limited. My wife will be the main driver. Her Verizon Intensity won't pair with Sync. ( other members have tried to help. Phone won't ask for code). I've seen mixed messages about IPhones causing problems. What Verizon phones are causing the least amount of problems?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Check this THREAD to see a couple of phones. I apologize for the brevity of the list, but participation in that thread has been lackluster at best, lol :)

The best would have the MAP (for texting) BT profile. This means no iphone, no android. A couple of the newer BB phones work but mostly dumb or feature phones.

HTC Arrive (Windows 7). Still waiting on my Explorer, but of the ones I've rented it worked fine.

I never thought a vehicle purchase would cause me to get a new cell phone. We just brought home our new 2013 Explorer limited. My wife will be the main driver. Her Verizon Intensity won't pair with Sync. ( other members have tried to help. Phone won't ask for code). I've seen mixed messages about IPhones causing problems. What Verizon phones are causing the least amount of problems?

I have used all three - Iphone, Droid and WP. The windows phone worked the best plain and simple. No suprise from Microsoft, right?;)

Here's a link to the Ford list. Listed by manufacture then carrier. Also shows media players. I have a 1 1/2 year old DroidX (Verizon) which does eveything on the list except photo id.

http://www.nsapp.fordtechservice.dealerconnection.com/sync/usEN/sync_us_EN_iop_2_00.pdf

I have a motorola Atrix. It' s an Android and I haven't had any problems at all. MFT works awesome as well. Which is why I believe it is the BT system creating havoc with some peoples MFT and sync. No probs with the phone = no problem with the MFT ;)

HTC Arrive (Windows 7). Still waiting on my Explorer, but of the ones I've rented it worked fine.

I have used all three - Iphone, Droid and WP. The windows phone worked the best pain and simple. No suprise from Microsoft, right?;)

Here's a link to the Ford list. Listed by manufacture then carrier. Also shows media players. I have a 1 1/2 year old DroidX (Verizon) which does eveything on the list except photo id.

http://www.nsapp.fordtechservice.dealerconnection.com/sync/usEN/sync_us_EN_iop_2_00.pdf

Are you all saying the phones above worked fully, or the limited fumctionality worked well? My iphone works great, with the exception of no messaging. My torch2 works as advertised, with messaging.

Are you all saying the phones above worked fully, or the limited fumctionality worked well? My iphone works great, with the exception of no messaging. My torch2 works as advertised, with messaging.

My WP7 HTC Arrive (Mango updated) works fully... messaging included. Blue Tooth audio and hands free phone. Last time was with a 2012 Edge with MFT. Paired right away, was able to receive texts and reply via voice command. Not a single issue over 5 days.

Used it on Fusions and Explorers as well... no problems.

WP7 is the only phone that works completely in my experience. And, it does it well.

If you are in the market for a basic phone through Verizon, I've had great success with my Samsung Convoy 2 phone. It is on Ford's phone compatibility list and all functions work with MFT including contact photos which is really nice! In addition, since I've switched to the Convoy 2 from my older Verizon Krazr (K1m), I've experienced no MFT bugs or glitches!! With my previous phone, not only did it disconnect all the time, but the radio would come on by itself or worse yet, I couldn't turn the radio off!. My Convoy 2 connects immediately every time and I've yet to experience a disconnect or dropped call.

I have generally had no issues with a Blackberry Bold 9900.

I'm using an iPhone 4s and a Samsung Galaxy Note in my Explorer. I prefer using the iPhone over the Galaxy Note. The only drawback with the iPhone is no text messages and no photo ID. I don't care about the photo ID, but I use Siri as a workaround for reading text messages. With the iPhone, you can hear Siri over the speakers in the Explorer, so I listen to my text messages that way or to send as well. I actually use Siri a lot since it's nice you can hear over the car speakers.

With the Galaxy Note, it won't work connected via USB. It only works connected as Bluetooth. The Galaxy Note won't show the song or artist information when using apps like TuneIn Radio or Radio.com app. I have a few songs I put on the Galaxy Note, but none of the song information showed on the MFT screen. With the iPhone, the song and artist information shows on the MFT screen when I use Pandora, TuneIn Radio, and the Radio.com app. When I use my iPhone as an alternative to my iPod, song information and album artwork shows on the MFT screen.

I haven't had any Bluetooth connection issues with either phone.

Well, I am learning there are a few phones finally. Thanks guys. WP7 was JUST coming out when I got my explorer...never considered it.

We will probably be looking at WP7 phones first when it comes time to re-up the ol' contract. We've been happy with our crappy little phones so far, but are starting to think that it might be nice to have a little more convenience features available.

Back