tearing out my POS ford remote starter | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

tearing out my POS ford remote starter

splash5

Reaction score
City, State
West Fargo ND
Year, Model & Trim Level
2011 XLT
i give in the ford starter has no range, 3 dealers say the poor range i have is normal. everyone i speak to say they hate theirs too!!!

time to go back to a good reliable astro start.

this is a warning in advance to anyone thinking of buys the option. don't waste your money or time. just get an astrostart or viper act installed instead of messing around.

wander if ford will refund the POS they sold me.. anyone else took theres out yet.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Warning to others RE: remote starters

don't buy the ford ones...

save your time and money just buy a good brand such as astrostart or viper etc . That way you will be happy rather than wasting your $$$ on the for POS.

just my 2c but hope other heed this warning.

Beware of aftermarket installers that just hack into any power source they can find. I have ripped more POS aftermarket starters out (at customer expense) to solve issues caused by tapping into said power source.....

Just my 2c and I hope others heed the warning....

(cricket sounds).....

Beware of aftermarket installers that just hack into any power source they can find. I have ripped more POS aftermarket starters out (at customer expense) to solve issues caused by tapping into said power source.....

Just my 2c and I hope others heed the warning....

i 100% agree there are ALOT of poorly installed starters out there. I've seen some of the installs people have done. everyone should always check the background of somewhere before you give them your $$$.

I've just lost faith in the ford starters I've had 3 friend pull theres out for the same reason. we all have the problem where if we park our cars (my EX, 2 f150, and a taurus) in the driveways we can't even get them to start from 50ft away. i even called ford 800 number and the rep said that they have had a number of people with similar problems (even having it serviced a number of times by 2 different dealers) and so far 3 out of 3 dealers have said they are very poor for range. (1 of them only sell/install ford ones and they still don't like them)

im not saying they are all bad but make sure if you get one test it well b4 you leave the lot as ford will not refund once its been put in and taken off the lot (this is try with most aftermarket too)

The biggest problem we have seen is with the new fob where the customer does not realize you need to push the LOCK button on the fob first and then the 2X button twice.

don't buy the ford ones...

save your time and money just buy a good brand such as astrostart or viper etc . That way you will be happy rather than wasting your $$$ on the for POS.

just my 2c but hope other heed this warning.
It would help if you gave some reasons why.

I have the long range Ford model and love it. Works fine from a 400 feet away. Like any low power radio device, there are limitations due to obstructions, etc. The best part is that it is fully integrated into the vehicle electronics.

redundant - merged thread

i give in the ford starter has no range, 3 dealers say the poor range i have is normal. everyone i speak to say they hate theirs too!!!

time to go back to a good reliable astro start.

this is a warning in advance to anyone thinking of buys the option. don't waste your money or time. just get an astrostart or viper act installed instead of messing around.

wander if ford will refund the POS they sold me.. anyone else took theres out yet.

WOW! My factory installed remote start works perfectly. Although sometimes at certain angles to the Ex it will not start. Everyone I talked to likes it.

deleted since combined

mine was the long rang one not the one built into the key fob.

ford say it should be 1000ft (http://www.partscheap.com/2011-2012-Ford-Explorer-Remote-Start-p/bb5z-19g364-e.htm) i know this is in open area, so real range should be 200-350ft no problem, i couldn't start it in driveway, it wouldn't start out back of my office, or when at a store. in and open lot i could get about 150ft at best. but as soon as a wall or anything was between me n it... nothing, it would send the signal and light up but never start or give a confirmation. (same problem friends had with theirs too)

would be useful if you listed which starter you had installed and now don't like. There are a few options out there. Please narrow it down to your specific item.

I have the remote start on my 13 Linited and it works great...no problems here as long as u push the lock button first, it works great......

I am the first I know of to get the ford one added to an XLT (with new keys that had the 4th button). It's been flawless, and range is great.

We have the simple 100 series on our 2012 Escape:

7L2Z_19G364_AA-20110705174638_137x100.jpg

...and get a really good range out of it, I'd say that the listed ~300' range is on the short end. We've had it fire up from well past that. Completely satisfied... :thumbsup:

I have the factory installed remore start in my limited. I have been able to start the Explorer from at least 175' away while it was parked in the garage. Haven't tried it from a further distance yet.
One thing to remember is that this particular remote start system will not work if two remote vehicle starts have already been attempted within the hour. The vehicle will flash the lights but will not start.
That might explain why some who are remote start testing find that their Ex won't start.

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I am the first I know of to get the ford one added to an XLT (with new keys that had the 4th button). It's been flawless, and range is great.

I had the factory 4 button key version installed when I picked up my 2011 XLT. It works well, up to several hundred feet.

Back