MFT Black / Blank Screen | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

MFT Black / Blank Screen

I have the most recent update and never had major issues before the update. I actually think my older version was faster than the new update. I will take my car to the dealer tomorrow, hopefully it's just a minor fix!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Got the black screen of death yesterday

Guess I'm gonna have to take it to the dealership, which pisses me off because the car is 4 months old. I've read about others having similiar problems and suggesting to unplug the battery cable from the battery, but that didn't work.

Started in the morning when I couldn't control anything. Radio would play, couldn't change the stations and couldn't select any options on the MFT screen. When I turned off the car and opened the door, the radio was still playing but shut off after a minute. Next time I started the car, nothing happened and the screen wouldn't come on at all. Just black.

Our 2011 Edge did the same thing. Dealer had to replace what they called the Sync Module. It now works better than it ever did.

Black Screen, 1 week old! Yay me!

Well great! My shiny new Ex got the black screen on the MyFordTouch screen yesterday, and has yet to come back on. The controls on the steering wheel work, as does the dash.

I am chatting online with a "SYNC Agent" and she is telling me they no longer recommend the 2 fixes I saw on here ( the fuse 29 thing, or the battery ). I asked why, she said, "After the software upgrade was released we have been advised that this is no longer an option for resetting the vehicle." She is telling me I *have* to go to the dealer, which honestly, just isnt an option right now as the nearest dealer is an hour away from me and I WORK.

What do you guys thi nk I should do?

Hey COOL. I will print that out for future reference.

Guess what? I went out to start it up again, and it came back! After being out all day yesterday. Ugh. Happy to see it though, hopefully this wont happen often, but I am glad I have all these options to work with now.

Well great! My shiny new Ex got the black screen on the MyFordTouch screen yesterday, and has yet to come back on. The controls on the steering wheel work, as does the dash.

I am chatting online with a "SYNC Agent" and she is telling me they no longer recommend the 2 fixes I saw on here ( the fuse 29 thing, or the battery ). I asked why, she said, "After the software upgrade was released we have been advised that this is no longer an option for resetting the vehicle." She is telling me I *have* to go to the dealer, which honestly, just isnt an option right now as the nearest dealer is an hour away from me and I WORK.

I'm super psyched to see your screen came back, Readmeli! I suggest, as a preventative measure, you perform a Master Reset when you get a chance. Here are the instructions:

MENU (Gears) > SETTINGS > SYSTEM > MASTER RESET

NOTE: You'll have to re-pair your phone after the reset. If you need those instructions, shoot me a private message.

Like George said (Thanks, George!), you can also use the reboot file. :)

Our first level SYNC Agents are no longer able to recommend a hard reset for your system. However, our second level and above are able to on a case-by-case basis. Let me know if you have any questions!

Rebecca

Thank you Rebecca. I sincerely appreciate you taking the time to respond to this thread, and your advice! I am impressed with Ford's customer service on this forum. It says a lot (good!)

I would have gone out and pulled the battery cable.

They (Ford IVT) also didn't recommend a wider beta test of this "new and improved" MFT. We see where that got them......

I would have gone out and pulled the battery cable.

They (Ford IVT) also didn't recommend a wider beta test of this "new and improved" MFT. We see where that got them......

dco43054,

The Ford IVT team does not make the big decisions. We're here for troubleshooting. :)

Rebecca

Most support departments aren't part of the development process they are just handed the product to support, nearly at the same time it's deployed to end users. May not be the best process but it's the most common. Cut them some slack, they do the best they can and it seems Ford's CSD is going above and beyond monitoring forums like this.

Thanks to Rebecca and Cory....haven't had any issues yet, but I feel better you're around.

Thank you Rebecca. I sincerely appreciate you taking the time to respond to this thread, and your advice! I am impressed with Ford's customer service on this forum. It says a lot (good!)

Most support departments aren't part of the development process they are just handed the product to support, nearly at the same time it's deployed to end users. May not be the best process but it's the most common. Cut them some slack, they do the best they can and it seems Ford's CSD is going above and beyond monitoring forums like this.

Thanks to Rebecca and Cory....haven't had any issues yet, but I feel better you're around.

Yes! Thank you! :thumbsup:

dco43054,

The Ford IVT team does not make the big decisions. We're here for troubleshooting. :)

Rebecca
I know Rebecca - if they let you guys in on the planning side, they would have had a better product to offer. :D

Yes! Thank you! :thumbsup:

I know Rebecca - if they let you guys in on the planning side, they would have had a better product to offer. :D

Thank you! Thank you! You're all too kind! ;)

Rebecca

**Update**

So I dropped the car off at the dealer today and they just called to tell me that the Sync module is completely dead! They told me that the put a rush delivery on a new module and that it should be ready to be picked up by tomorrow afternoon.

Can't believe something like this happens 4 months after purchase.

It can happen at anytime with electronics. It is very uncommon,but does happen.Don't let it discourage you.

That is precisely when electronic components most commonly fail. Failures for electronic components tend to fail during the burn in period which occurs early in the component life cycle. That is, if they are to fail on their own. Those that do not fail during the burn in cycle on the bathtub curve tend to require external forces to fail or will experience failure at their end of useful life.

Rebecca, I think Ford should Beta test with Serious Explorations members and Ford employees at dealerships that have myford touch. I think the test group would be great! Feedback would be instant!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Rebecca, I think Ford should Beta test with Serious Explorations members and Ford employees at dealerships that have myford touch. I think the test group would be great! Feedback would be instant!
I realize you weren't here for it - but we had this discussion before (don't remember the thread).

The answer from Ford was "we've got it handled". Obviously, either it wasn't, or bunches of errors were ignored.

Back