WTB New Explorer- Have concerns

gtnos

Reaction score
City, State
oklahoma
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 Ford Explorer
hello, newbie here.

i am pretty big into fords, i currently own 3 (06 f150 4x4 screw, 06 stang GT, and 07 e350 van.) i have never owned an explorer, as the new model is the first explorer to really grab my attention.

wife and i are wanting to trade van for a new explorer, but we have a few concerns as i have read / heard of numerous nightmarish problems, mainly due to MYFORD touch.

what problems are there with the new explorers? and what is with the My Ford Touch system? i have heard of folks who were left without a/c, radio, etc. with nothing more than a blank screen. whats going on with that? has ford fixed it or what?

we are wanting the 4x4 v6 version, as we have a 24ft pontoon boat we tow from time to time, and 4wd is nice to have for loading ramps. (not to mention the occasional winter snowstorm.) how is that new 4x4 system with the select terrain dial? good or bad?

realistically, by the time we are ready to purchase the '14 models will probably be coming out. (probably looking at spring '13 for purchase). any plans from ford on updates or fixes in the '14s that you guys have heard about?

thanks in advance for all responses!!! :)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have had an unbelievably bad experience with my 2011 and wish I could take the decision back. Yes, blame me because I spent $40,000 on a first year model change! Get real. I see the vehicles potential but Ford rushed this car to market. They couldnt even properly align the flippin trim on the dash. And the MFT? Its not even worth the time - the forums are littered with issues.
I was initially satisfied with my decision however, I am approaching the 30 day mark for shop time and will be contacting the BBB to file for arbitration.

They have probably worked some problems out but do your research. A couple hours on this forum should give you a pretty good idea that they still havent addressed many of the explorers problems. Ford should simply step up and take care of those of us with the lemons.

If you really want an Explorer you might want to hold out for the 14.

Good luck with your decision.

I have over 47,000 miles on my 2011 Limited now. It was an early build. All the TSB's have been done, and the truck has been great. I'll be buying another one in mid year 2014 after I get over the 120,000 mile mark.

It's a great truck. This is our 6th explorer dating back to 93. We have had some issues but the dealer has taken care of everything. The new MFT works great. Zero issues with it in several months.

Sure there are problems. Some people deal with issues better than others. You are going to hear the best and worst here. Do your research and find a dealer that appreciates your business. I don't regret it and will probably replace it with another.

It is fine a vehicle for me. No problems and it has met all my
Expectations. My dealer service is excellent

hello, newbie here.

i am pretty big into fords, i currently own 3 (06 f150 4x4 screw, 06 stang GT, and 07 e350 van.) i have never owned an explorer, as the new model is the first explorer to really grab my attention.

wife and i are wanting to trade van for a new explorer, but we have a few concerns as i have read / heard of numerous nightmarish problems, mainly due to MYFORD touch.

what problems are there with the new explorers? and what is with the My Ford Touch system? i have heard of folks who were left without a/c, radio, etc. with nothing more than a blank screen. whats going on with that? has ford fixed it or what?

we are wanting the 4x4 v6 version, as we have a 24ft pontoon boat we tow from time to time, and 4wd is nice to have for loading ramps. (not to mention the occasional winter snowstorm.) how is that new 4x4 system with the select terrain dial? good or bad?

realistically, by the time we are ready to purchase the '14 models will probably be coming out. (probably looking at spring '13 for purchase). any plans from ford on updates or fixes in the '14s that you guys have heard about?

Welcome to the Forum gtnos. :wavey:
I have had mine since March 2011 and the only TSB I had done was for the 'random windshield wipe'. I have been very happy with it and although I have gone through one Winter with it, I never did use the Terrain Management System. The AWD in 'normal' mode was good enough along with a set of Winter tires.

Peter

hello, newbie here.

I like the looks of my '12 Explorer, and some cool features like rear view camera, the software gauges, sound system, etc. But in retrospect, I'd wish I kept my '02 EX and the $35K more dollars I spent. Ford may have most the bugs fixed before they update again for the '14 model year.

...i am pretty big into fords, i currently own 3 (06 f150 4x4 screw, 06 stang GT, and 07 e350 van.)...wife and i are wanting to trade van for a new explorer...

Welcome to the boards, gtnos; thanks for being part of the Ford family! As you can see, many of the community members love their Explorer! Have a great time shopping for your new ride next year. :D

I have had an unbelievably bad experience with my 2011...
I still have your Explorer’s info from previous messages, tryan1977. Please send me your current mileage via PM so I can set up a follow-up call.

I have over 47,000 miles on my 2011 Limited now. It was an early build. All the TSB's have been done, and the truck has been great. I'll be buying another one in mid year 2014 after I get over the 120,000 mile mark.
It's a great truck. This is our 6th explorer dating back to 93. We have had some issues but the dealer has taken care of everything. The new MFT works great. Zero issues with it in several months...
It is fine a vehicle for me. No problems and it has met all my
Expectations. My dealer service is excellent
Welcome to the Forum gtnos. :wavey:
I have had mine since March 2011 and the only TSB I had done was for the 'random windshield wipe'. I have been very happy with it and although I have gone through one Winter with it, I never did use the Terrain Management System. The AWD in 'normal' mode was good enough along with a set of Winter tires...
I like the looks of my '12 Explorer, and some cool features like rear view camera, the software gauges, sound system, etc...
Bill #4 Explorer, Wightmn, Jwhcars, Peter, & xplanfan,

Thanks for taking the time to share! :)

Cory

hello, newbie here.

I have also been in Fords my entire life. (Father was a ford executive for 28 years) and yes, while i may have a slight bias to them, i can assure you im glad i didnt grow up in a toyota, GM, or honda household. ;)

I have had 3 generations of explorers: 94', 06', 10', and my current 2011' XLT

I have one of the earliest build dates and thankfully have not run any of the issues as some other users. The only TSB's i have had are the occasional my ford touch hiccups, and a leaky sunroof drain.

I am more than pleased with the rest of my vehicle. Yes, its not as sporty as the old explorers (you may find me elsewhere on the forum, looking to sport my car up alot) but from the perspective of a family suv i can totally see why the new "luxury" look is working for everyone else.

It seems to me that most of the issues have been within the 2011's and 2012's this is to be expected and should be expected from any car buyer who purchases a first year of a new generation vehicle. When a car company spends millions on millions to develop a new generation, they unfortunately do not have time to also field/ beta test the vehicle for years. As buyers of first years it is important to understand that concept, and that you may run into production/ quality issues that the company simply cannot possibly discover without the aid of time and mileage.

Granted, we all want it to be a perfect experience, but sometimes things just dont happen that way in life.

My advice: Please don't make a decision solely based on the beefs, whining, complaining, and arguing you see here on this forum. This 2011-13 ex section probably only accounts for about ..maybe 20%? of all the new explorers out on the road. Second thing to realize is generally, people join forums, when they run into an issue and need help or advice from their google searches. Thus, it should be expected to see more "issues" than "praises" on any forum.

Use this forum to sharpen your edge on the dealer when you go in to ask questions. Ask about the TSB's make sure they are all handled. 2013's have been coming out and (to my knowledge) there have been minimal complaints or issues. Even less i could imagine 2014's better.

Long story short, do your research! find out what you NEED in a vehicle, and make a sound decision against what you WANT in a vehicle. Several of the most vocal anti 2011+ users here jumped the gun and bought without prior knowledge or expectation of potential first year vehicle hiccups.

I am very pleased with my purchase. MFT issues are resolved, and i have no production/ quality issues with my new generation explorer. Good luck.

Sorry for the rant gentlemen.

I have the 13' Limited, got it on May 9, only a couple of issues, 1) Misaligned rear hatch- u can see it recessed a few mm on each side nothing major and 2) low frequency buzzing- the TSB has it for the speakers or A pillars. I think it is the speakers because it is all through the front cabin. Plus it happens when the Ex is not in motion and the ignition is off. They are easy fixes, its at the dealership now as I type this message. How do I feel overall about the Ex, right now I feel hands down it is in the top 3 of SUVs out there. Your choices are limited, especially if u r a big guy like me 6'5", if you go with the Ex, you won't regret the choice.....for the technology and the options this is a great SUV.....Also, I have been a Ford man all my 43 years......87 Mustang, 96 4.6L Mustang, 98 Explorer Sport and 01 Supercharged F150 Harley Davidson, yes an 01 with a 02 engine.......along with other Fords......lol

I have a 2013XLT I bought 4/23.

My first Ford and I love it so far. No problems so far.

MFT seems to work with no bugs. 1200 miles so far with now rattles after driving the pot hole streets of Austin Tx.

I have a after market tow package installed by the dealer. If get the tow package, get it already factory installed.

Biggest complaints so far is that I had trouble picking out the Ex I liked and tailgaters.

Mild complaint, My Ex is the deep impact blue. I installedan american flag theme bug deflector on the front and added a receiver cover that lights up at night with the Ford Logo and red when I hit the brakes. I got talked to by a seriffs deputy about the Ex. At first I thought 'ticket' but no. He liked the deflector and lighted logo. He sent his budies over all week to look:D.

Really, it seems like the new Ex has most of the bugs worked out. I would buy the model again if I was in the market.

As far as tailgater, I just added a bumper sticker to the back. Seems to be working.

What does it say? MY OTHER AUTO IS A 45CAL!

I have also been in Fords my entire life...I have had 3 generations of explorers: 94', 06', 10', and my current 2011' XLT...
Thanks for your great post, jcerrion; I’m sure others will find it extremely helpful. :)

I have the 13' Limited, got it on May 9, only a couple of issues...They are easy fixes, its at the dealership now as I type this message. How do I feel overall about the Ex, right now I feel hands down it is in the top 3 of SUVs out there. Your choices are limited, especially if u r a big guy like me 6'5", if you go with the Ex, you won't regret the choice.....for the technology and the options this is a great SUV.....Also, I have been a Ford man all my 43 years...
Phew! That’s an impressive list, wikidhd! I’m confident your dealer will get those concerns resolved so you can go back to enjoying your ride. :thumbsup:

...My first Ford and I love it so far. No problems so far...Mild complaint, My Ex is the deep impact blue. I installedan american flag theme bug deflector on the front and added a receiver cover that lights up at night with the Ford Logo and red when I hit the brakes. I got talked to by a seriffs deputy about the Ex. At first I thought 'ticket' but no. He liked the deflector and lighted logo. He sent his budies over all week to look:D...
Kjeffery,

With those being your only complaints, you’re in great shape! ;)

Cory

My advice: Please don't make a decision solely based on the beefs, whining, complaining, and arguing you see here on this forum. This 2011-13 ex section probably only accounts for about ..maybe 20%? of all the new explorers out on the road. Second thing to realize is generally, people join forums, when they run into an issue and need help or advice from their google searches. Thus, it should be expected to see more "issues" than "praises" on any forum.

Exactly- and According to the new Ex's sales figures by month for the US and Canada (and police interceptor numbers too) that can be seen HERE if indeed they have sold over 200,000 of them since intro, I'd say were probably seeing maybe 1% of new owners, and if you count those that actively post issues, it's miniscule. Not saying issues aren't around or in some cases like MFT- prevalent, but you have to keep a forum in perspective.

I am a NEW Ford owner... Never owned, never imagined I would. And now I LOVE my 2013 XLT Gray Metallic Baby! LOVE LOVE LOVE. The thing is amazingly smooth, I love it all. I had one bug happen with MyFordTouch, but it fixed itself, I'm not concerned. Plus, I could still control everything mostly anyway.

We will be towing our car/trailer in the next couple weeks to some track events and I cant wait.

I am a NEW Ford owner... Never owned, never imagined I would. And now I LOVE my 2013 XLT Gray Metallic Baby! LOVE LOVE LOVE. The thing is amazingly smooth, I love it all. I had one bug happen with MyFordTouch, but it fixed itself, I'm not concerned. Plus, I could still control everything mostly anyway.

We will be towing our car/trailer in the next couple weeks to some track events and I cant wait.

I agree. The new ex is buttery soft steering and response.

I let alot of people drive in mine and thats the first thing they comment on is the smooth drive it has. My GF has an xterra, and i hate driving it. Its like im rolling a 50lb boulder to turn the thing.

I say before you make a wrong decision buying this vehicle for a 24 ft boat...if you want true 4x4 suv take a look at the 4runners...i love the explorer just not the 2011+ explorers cause off-road capabilities aint there anymore. I would buy one if they made lift kits for it but doesnt look like its happening anytime soon.

Another suv which I thought had nice true 4x4 features would be the jeep grand cherokee, which on road it adjust its ground clearance to lower level and when in 4x4 mode the rises at a higher ground clearance, the only downside it doesnt have a third row like the 4runner.

rusty813 said:
I say before you make a wrong decision buying this vehicle for a 24 ft boat...if you want true 4x4 suv take a look at the 4runners...i love the explorer just not the 2011+ explorers cause off-road capabilities aint there anymore. I would buy one if they made lift kits for it but doesnt look like its happening anytime soon.

Another suv which I thought had nice true 4x4 features would be the jeep grand cherokee, which on road it adjust its ground clearance to lower level and when in 4x4 mode the rises at a higher ground clearance, the only downside it doesnt have a third row like the 4runner.

The jeep also gets pretty bad gas mileage. I know several people who own one and with the 8 cylinder, are lucky to get 15 mpg. I guess if you have to pull something all the time that's a negative you will have to deal with. For me, that's difficult to take on a vehicle that is no where near as big. The jeep not only doesn't have a third seat, but it doesn't have near the room from side to side in any of the seats. I drove one on a long trip for around 300 miles. The one I drove was the top of the line. The limited "Overton ". It had a very good ride. A bit tighter than my 2011 X which now has 32,000 miles on it. The thing that shocked me was how confusing the technology was on it. I can't believe people feel the MFT is more complicated than the Jeeps and it won't even do as much. There were things we never could figure out about it. The navigation was very confusing. Pairing a phone is complicated and I'm sure you can listen to music from an iPod but I never figured out how to do it. Add all of that to the fact it cost $10,000 more than my X and I only pull 4000 lbs occasionally, I'm very satisfied with my X Limited.

Exactly- and According to the new Ex's sales figures by month for the US and Canada...
Thanks for posting that link, Joe Dirt. :)

It’s great you love your ride, Readmeli; it sounds like you’re in store for a fun next few weeks!

I agree. The new ex is buttery soft steering and response.

I let alot of people drive in mine and thats the first thing they comment on is the smooth drive it has...
jcerrion,

Is it so buttery you want to spread it on toast? ;)

...I would buy one if they made lift kits for it but doesnt look like its happening anytime soon...
rusty813,

I highly recommend submitting your idea to:

http://www.Social.Ford.com

Cory

I have also been in Fords my entire life. (Father was a ford executive for 28 years) and yes, while i may have a slight bias to them, i can assure you im glad i didnt grow up in a toyota, GM, or honda household. ;)

I have had 3 generations of explorers: 94', 06', 10', and my current 2011' XLT

I have one of the earliest build dates and thankfully have not run any of the issues as some other users. The only TSB's i have had are the occasional my ford touch hiccups, and a leaky sunroof drain.

I am more than pleased with the rest of my vehicle. Yes, its not as sporty as the old explorers (you may find me elsewhere on the forum, looking to sport my car up alot) but from the perspective of a family suv i can totally see why the new "luxury" look is working for everyone else.

It seems to me that most of the issues have been within the 2011's and 2012's this is to be expected and should be expected from any car buyer who purchases a first year of a new generation vehicle. When a car company spends millions on millions to develop a new generation, they unfortunately do not have time to also field/ beta test the vehicle for years. As buyers of first years it is important to understand that concept, and that you may run into production/ quality issues that the company simply cannot possibly discover without the aid of time and mileage.

Granted, we all want it to be a perfect experience, but sometimes things just dont happen that way in life.

Use this forum to sharpen your edge on the dealer when you go in to ask questions. Ask about the TSB's make sure they are all handled. 2013's have been coming out and (to my knowledge) there have been minimal complaints or issues. Even less i could imagine 2014's better.

Long story short, do your research! find out what you NEED in a vehicle, and make a sound decision against what you WANT in a vehicle. Several of the most vocal anti 2011+ users here jumped the gun and bought without prior knowledge or expectation of potential first year vehicle hiccups.

I am very pleased with my purchase. MFT issues are resolved, and i have no production/ quality issues with my new generation explorer. Good luck.

Sorry for the rant gentlemen.

Not a rant at all. I completely agree with you that what people will see in the comments posted on any social networking will represent only a small minority of the buyers of the product. In general the discussions will be the "cheers" and "jeers" because those the things that people want to talk about. The problems reported here are samples which do have some relevance, but may or may not reflect true overall product quality. So, yes, everyone does need to do their research. In my opinion, what may be most important to readers to garner is how quickly Ford acts to investigate and resolve problems which are reported. The fact that Ford monitors this board (Cory aka FordCustSvc) demonstrates they do understand the importance of perception.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

FordCustSrvc,

I would really be suprised if ford makes a lift kit for this vehicle...I think what would be great idea, when building your vehicle and choosing options at ford.com, you guys should allow for options to choose from different ground clearance, for me i would definitely buy this car if had anywhere 8.2 - 8.6 but its not worth if it is 7.6, as I see this vehicle on the road. they look to low and front bumper gives it less ground clearance that you will end scrapping the bumper when doing minor off-roading

Back