Staff member
Elite Explorer
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Austin,Tx
Year, Model & Trim Level
92 Nav, 99 Mounty, 98 Ex
Recently started the 5.0 swap on my 1992 Ford Explorer Jurassic Edition, after the rebuilt manual transmission failed after a bad syncro locked it in fourth gear.

This swap will retain the existing firewall and dash. The engine bay harness will be removed and will use a custom built 97/92 Engine bay harness. All second gen locations for the air box, battery, overflow, and cruise control will be used. AC and emissions will be retained on this Explorer. Also the Factory column shifter will be used.

(lost photos)

The 5.0 is coming from a 97 Explorer and the trans will be a 4r70w from a 97 AWD explorer. The only thing I will use different is a 92 Ford bronco 1356 transfer case elec shift.

The 97 5.0 I picked up for a song and dance.

Home on the Engine Stand.

Removed the drive train

Then you have to make it clean for that new motor.

we then moved the battery tray and airbox to the new spots for test fit.

At this point we are at a slight stand still till Russell starts the wiring harness and he has mapped the harness out.

I also need to purchase my motor mounts so I can test fit the motor in the engine bay.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Well, I had read that only the early 97's were pre PATS, and not all 97's, so I just wanted to make sure. ;)

nope all 97 is pats free

What Kris doesnt know is I am secretly adding TWO pats modules, MUWAHAHA

Motor Mounts will be here Monday so I can start test fits.

Subscribing.

4R70W trans, or M5OD?

4r70w

So today we did the following on jpx:

1)Removed the upper intake
2)Repaired the temp sensor circuit on the motor (the two wires were missing for some reason)
3)I added a low oil level circuit to the engine harness so the first gen switch/"Check Oil" light will be functional
4)Finished anchoring the second gen coolant/washer reservoir to the apron
5)Bent back the firewall seam and reattached the exhaust heat sheild.
6)Added a second gen A/C Dryer to the the first gen air box assembly (so second gen a/c lines will attach to it)
7)Swapped back in an Automatic Transmission brake pedal (JPX was manual)
8)I dropped the gas tank
9)I built a hybrid Gen 1/Gen 2 frame electrical harness to incorporate the fuel tank pressure transducer and EVAP canister purge solenoid. This was all done while still utilizing the stock 12 pin connector (1992 C141) as a stock second gen does. I also swapped out the stock 4 pin fuel sender assembly connector (1992 C331) with the 97' 8 pin connector for stock retention of the fuel sender assembly with pressure transducer.

More progress and pictures tomorrow, but our arbitrary deadline I recklessly set forth is a first fire by end of july. Motor mounts will arrive monday, and test fitting should occur later this week. So all in all, today was a great day! Oh, and I am designing and engineering the A/C system in with the motor swap so that when we fire up the motor, the A/C system will already be in place and ready to be charged with coolant. So stick with us, this will be a real interesting 5.0 swap ;)

following the progress of saturday, sunday we finished up the fuel tank and some other little things.

1)Modified the first gen gas tank to accept the pressure transducer in the tank, it was mounted on top next to the vent tube.
536009_10100184573076311_442313825_n.jpg

2)kris installed the second gen charcaol cansiter which is mounted above the spare tire.
3)ran all the related EVAP lines along the frame rail and to the fuel tank.
4)Installed hybrid frame harness
5)reinstalled the fuel tank and skid plate (I hate fuel tanks just for this reason lol)

So sunday was productive in the fact that all the underside/rear vehicle modifications were done and ready to go. Next step is to install the motor mounts and test fit the motor (today)

Added some clearance to the firewall

(lost photos)

Russell adding the Transducer

Added the second gen evap system

New Frame harness

5.0 in but oil pan is keeping it from being dropping down all the way.

following this

Looks great. I should have done this to mine while I had everything out.

yep, the 5.0 fits real nice in there. Granted once we figured out the james duff mounts it finally sat in there good. but it still looks like we are going to need a duel sump oil pan to clear the drop bracket and to allow clearance with the passenger side traction beam. so stay tuned!

I love it. Have fun with it.

The fuel tank mod interests me. I'm soon going to attempt to reuse my old 93 tank and attach the metal top section from a spare 98 Sport tank I have. I want the later sensors also, plus the later pickup assembly.

FYI, I have a brand new 91-94 assembly from Ford that I'm not going to use now. I was afraid to mess with the grafting of the metal to the plastic tank, until I saw how the sensors are screw in devices. They have seals which work by having the sensor screw in and down more in depth than the thickness of the plastic. I think it will be easier to cut out two sections of the steel tank, and bolt/epoxy those to the plastic tank. I'll find out, I bought a fuel sealant product for about $20.

Ya'know, having you both as friends on FB (Kris,Russ) this whole thread looks so vaguely familiar.... hmmm....

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back