Voice command stopped responding

Vdel

Reaction score
City, State
Mississauga, Ontario
Year, Model & Trim Level
2011 Explorer Limited
hi,

ironically after posting my thoughts on the most and least used features of the EX, my most used feature stopped working.

Pressing the voice command button the steering wheel, the icon of the ear listening shows up on the middle console display, but there is no voice invitation "ding" to say a command. I haven't made any setting changes or anything. The turn by turn navigation still works, but I cannot give any instruction to the EX.

I've searched the forum, but haven't found anything, perhaps someone has come across this very same issue.

It should be noted that I have the latest upgrade via the dealer which up until now has been working problem free.

I was thinking of doing a master reset, but I don't know what the ramifications of doing that are?

Any help would be appreciated.

Happy Father's day to all you dads out there... now go mow the lawn.;)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

same here

since i installed the mft update mine was working like before. Press button, she says, say command. then it just stopped. Now, press button, just a ding. I just say a command and go from there. When i hear the bing i know she is listening. no big deal for me.

:salute:

My 2011 Ex, running the 3.0.x MFT (dealer installed too), did the exact same thing several weeks ago. You would press the voice command button and the "listening" ear would appear in the lower left corner of the screen, but there would be no voice prompts, no "chime", AND the radio would *not* mute itself for the voice commands to be heard.

The new MFT had been functioning flawlessly from the time the dealer refreshed it thru about the first week of May. Then the random black screen reboots started happening again. Followed by periodic loss of connectivity to the GPS signal and random SD Card Faults. The voice command malfunctioning was the final straw.

I pulled fuse 29 to cause a reset and the problems are gone... for now.

since i installed the mft update mine was working like before. Press button, she says, say command. then it just stopped. Now, press button, just a ding. I just say a command and go from there. When i hear the bing i know she is listening. no big deal for me.

:salute:

cowboyearl,

It sounds like your MFT is set to Advanced Interaction Mode. If you'd like to hear Samantha talk, please do the following:

MENU (Gears) > SETTINGS > VOICE CONTROL > INTERACTION MODE > NOVICE

I was thinking of doing a master reset, but I don't know what the ramifications of doing that are?

Any help would be appreciated.

Happy Father's day to all you dads out there... now go mow the lawn.;)

How was the lawn mowing, Vdel? LOL

A Master Reset is your best approach if it didn't correct itself after an ignition cycle. Here are the instructions, in case you need them:

MENU (Gears) > SETTINGS > SYSTEM > MASTER RESET

I pulled fuse 29 to cause a reset and the problems are gone... for now.

1sttimeford,

I'm glad everything is working again. Keep us posted!

Rebecca

Rebecca,
I have the experienced the EXACT same thing as Vdel a few days ago and I can assure you that it is not related to the Interaction Mode being set on Advanced (mine is and has been set on Novice. As Vdel explained there is no "ding" (which the Advance setting WOULD have). I did a master reset and the problem still exists.
To reiterate, when I press the Voice Control button, there is absolutely no sound but a small ear appears in the lower left corner along with a new button that has a Question Mark on it. If I press that new button, a list of voice commands comes up. I am completely puzzled as to how these new features have suddenly appeared as my last update was a few months back.
Please help.

Try the master reset thru the system screen settings.

All you'll need to do is pair your phone again once it's done. I did this once and no negative ramifications at all.

All you're doing is re-booting the system, just like a PC

Good luck!

bumping for menu settings :cool:

Try the master reset thru the system screen settings.

All you'll need to do is pair your phone again once it's done. I did this once and no negative ramifications at all.

All you're doing is re-booting the system, just like a PC

Good luck!

Yup! A master reset did the trick. Darn windows. Too bad I lost all my pairing, iPod indexing and saved quick dials. Hopefully I don't have to do this too often

Thanks for the replies guys/gals

Rebecca,
I have the experienced the EXACT same thing as Vdel a few days ago and I can assure you that it is not related to the Interaction Mode being set on Advanced (mine is and has been set on Novice. As Vdel explained there is no "ding" (which the Advance setting WOULD have). I did a master reset and the problem still exists.
To reiterate, when I press the Voice Control button, there is absolutely no sound but a small ear appears in the lower left corner along with a new button that has a Question Mark on it. If I press that new button, a list of voice commands comes up. I am completely puzzled as to how these new features have suddenly appeared as my last update was a few months back.
Please help.

Hi, Brenpatsa!

Please try a Master Reset with the directions posted above to Vdel. Like briteboy stated (Thanks, briteboy!), you'll have to re-pair your phone after the reset. Let us know how it goes!

Yup! A master reset did the trick. Darn windows. Too bad I lost all my pairing, iPod indexing and saved quick dials. Hopefully I don't have to do this too often

:thumbsup: I'm glad it's working now!

Rebecca

Try using the reboot app next time and see if it works. No data lost. I keep a usb drive in the glovebox now so if I need to reboot......

Rebecca,
I have the experienced the EXACT same thing as Vdel a few days ago and I can assure you that it is not related to the Interaction Mode being set on Advanced (mine is and has been set on Novice. As Vdel explained there is no "ding" (which the Advance setting WOULD have). I did a master reset and the problem still exists. To reiterate, when I press the Voice Control button, there is absolutely no sound but a small ear appears in the lower left corner along with a new button that has a Question Mark on it. If I press that new button, a list of voice commands comes up. I am completely puzzled as to how these new features have suddenly appeared as my last update was a few months back.
Please help.

Rebecca,
As I already said (see my quoted post above), I tried the Master Reset and it didn't correct the issue.

This happened to me too today. I recall this morning the screen was blank and then a message about "performing system maintenance" came up but I only took a short 1min trip down the street to drop my kid off at school, turned the car off, then got back in a few minutes later and came home.
I think somehow the shutting off the car in the middle of "system maintenance" might have screwed it up and caused the original problem.

Anyhow. A system reset/reboot as mentioned above solved the problem. Thanks

Back