Hood Deflector | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Hood Deflector

Weathertech stone and bug deflector

I tried installing the deflector a while ago but after i got it installed I can't close my hood anymore. at first I didn't think that it was the bug deflector that causes it so i keep trying to close my hood but i gave up and just removed the bug deflector for now.

Is there somebody having the same problem with the weathertech bug deflector?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Can you upload any pics of the install under the hood itself, that might help.

I already was able to close the hood. I didn't read all of the instruction. I just had to place the deflector between the hood and the rubber seal.

It was pretty easy to install. In fact, the biggest ordeal was ordering it. Lund's website still lists 2 deflectors that are not compatible and your local auto parts store likely will also have the same incorrect information. But the part you need is made by Auto Vent Shade, and the # is 25164. I told Lund to fix their website 3 weeks ago but they still have wrong part #s listed :banghead: When I have a moment I'll scan the instructions and put them up. .

The ones they recommend on their website and the ones shown on Ford dealers is Aeroskin. The one mentioned in this post was Bugflector II. It's not shown on Lund's site for Explorer unless you type in the part # - then it comes up and says it is compatible. I'm not quite sure which one I should get. They have obvious styling differences but I don't know how they differ beyond the looks

EDIT: Parts:
#25164 Bugflector II smoke or clear
#322045 Aeroskin smoke
#622045 Aeroskin chrome
#18718 Interceptor smoke

EDIT2: It looks like the Aeroskin is applied to the top of the hood using adhesive tape only. The Bugflector II applies to the bottom of the hood using actual hardware, and only has bumpers that are on top. So I think in that case I'd prefer the Bugflector

From Ford with all the clips.

I put on the lettering, got them at ebay.

Attachments

• IMG_1154.jpeg
    IMG_1154.jpeg
    93.6 KB · Views: 1,511

I put on the lettering, got them at ebay.

That's really nice...did you use raised chrome letters? Most of the ones I see on ebay are those (original factory emblems from the tailgate). How did you get it centered/lined up correctly?

Hi! The lettering came from the 98-01 explorer, and as far as centering them, I did a dry run with two way tape and then installed them.

When any or all of you guys with the bug deflector installed, go out on the interstate, take a look at the back of your hood, next to windshield, when you're doing 70+ mph.

I had one on my F-150 and it caused the hood to rattle due to negative pressure created by the bug deflector.

Would be interested if it occurs on the Ex as well.

Thanx

When any or all of you guys with the bug deflector installed, go out on the interstate, take a look at the back of your hood, next to windshield, when you're doing 70+ mph.

I had one on my F-150 and it caused the hood to rattle due to negative pressure created by the bug deflector.

Would be interested if it occurs on the Ex as well.

Thanx

It doesn't occur on mine...I have lund bugflector II

Sorry guys, but 'bug deflectors' are so old school...and look it!
Go with '3M clear bra'.

Just ordered mine at auto parts warehouse, free shipping and a coupon code!

Item Number: V1525164
Description: Ventshade Ford Explorer Bug Shield

Coupon Code: APWCART00 (for 10% off entire order)

I just installed one of THESE on my wife's 2013 Limited. No clips, screws, nor a place for leaves, debris or frozen snow to collect. I have never liked bug deflectors which flap about, clips brake from vibration, and eventually rub away the paint.

I received the Bugflector II yesterday and the install was quick and easy. :thumbsup: Using a molding and trim remover tool made it easy to pry out the four clips, total install time about 15 minutes. :salute:
It was pretty easy to install. In fact, the biggest ordeal was ordering it. Lund's website still lists 2 deflectors that are not compatible and your local auto parts store likely will also have the same incorrect information. But the part you need is made by Auto Vent Shade, and the # is 25164. I told Lund to fix their website 3 weeks ago but they still have wrong part #s listed :banghead: When I have a moment I'll scan the instructions and put them up. Basically it went like this:

Tools required:
- Large head phillips screwdriver
- Pliers
- Trim/moulding removal tool or something similar: http://www.harborfreight.com/5-piec...-782A-E011-B31E-001B2163195C&mr:referralID=NA

1) Pop hood, raise it up a couple feet. Observe weatherstripping attached to the underside on the front of the hood. The seal is held in place by multiple plastic clips. You'll have to remove 4 of these to install the deflector.

2) (may help to have 2 people for this part) Hold deflector in place and take note or mark the 4 plastic clips that line up with the 4 tabs on the underside of the deflector.

3) Remove plastic 4 plastic clips. Be careful to not damage the rubber seal. I recommend the trim tools for this purpose. You can damage the seal if you use a screwdriver or other metal object and you're not careful. I found it easy to pry them up slightly and then grab them with a set of pliers and rip them out.

4) Put hood deflector in place, it has 4 tabs that tuck between the weatherstripping and the hood. These are secured using 4 bolts and rubber washers to protect the seal.

It took about 10min in total to do by myself. Probably only need 5min if you have a helper.

Does anyone have any experience with the Weathertech deflector? I planned on ordering some window deflectors from them and thought about adding their hood deflector to just make one order.

Does this bug deflector exist for purchase?

Found this in the 2012 explorer brochure from dealer and I like how it wraps around the hood and stops at the edge of the headlight. Any that I have looked from aftermarket suppliers stop in the middle of the headlight. Does it exist? Thx for all help

IMG.jpg

Yea, the factory one is shorter like the one in the link, but I'm with you, I like the one in your pic better :thumbsup:

almost all of the pictures in ford catalogs are photoshopped.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Attachments

• Hood Defelctor 2.jpg
    Hood Defelctor 2.jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 1,106
  • Hood Deflector 1.jpg
    Hood Deflector 1.jpg
    64.6 KB · Views: 1,105

Back