Finished 2 inch Body lift!

technoboy235

Reaction score
City, State
Burtonsville, MD
Year, Model & Trim Level
'98 Limited V8 AWD
Hello people,

Just finished my 2 inch body lift on My 1998 5.0 Explorer. Got some before and after pics. I didnt use any steering extensions or Radiator brackets. I had to trim the plastic that protects the cooling fan and secure a couple steel hoses out of the way of the serpentine belt but other than that, no real problems. Any questions I will be sure to answer.

AFTER
(2 inch body lift)

P3240035.jpg

P3240037.jpg

BEFORE
(torsion twist, Shackles, add-a-leaf)

DSCN3786.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

looks good! I may be going the way of the 2" bl myself. I like the "no-extensions/brackets" aspect of it. Are you planning on going up in tire size?

Yeah. I plan on getting some 32x11.50 or 33x12.50's in the next couple of weeks. And I definitely recommend the 2 inch. It only took me 6 hr to complete. Takes a little to find the bolts for sale though.

I'm having a hard time finding a 2" BL kit for my 2000 Explorer Sport. Which kit did you use and do you think that it would be the same for my truck? I'm able to find the 3" kits no problem, I just don't feel like messing around with steering or shifter extensions.

As a side note, some of the kits say that the shifter extension is required. Does anyone know if it needs to be welded? Can I make due without it and just deal with a shifter that is 2" shorter?

Fastenal makes the Universal 2 inch body lift blocks that will be all you need if you have an automatic transmission which I purchased on ebay, and the bolts I bought from some website that I cant remember. you need to get case hardened bolts that have full threading and are 2 inches longer than your original bolts. I am not sure about the shifter, but I imagine you would need an extension. The other thing is make sure that you are careful to unclip anything that might tighten up during the raising process. The Plastic piece that protects the cooling fan has to be trimmed around the bottom half also. I will post pics up asap.

body lift kit

I'm having a hard time finding a 2" BL kit for my 2000 Explorer Sport. Which kit did you use and do you think that it would be the same for my truck? I'm able to find the 3" kits no problem, I just don't feel like messing around with steering or shifter extensions.

As a side note, some of the kits say that the shifter extension is required. Does anyone know if it needs to be welded? Can I make due without it and just deal with a shifter that is 2" shorter?

I have a 2" body lift too in my 97 explorer. but I didn´t buy any kit, I bought a Nylon Cilinder and have it cutted, and them bought longer bolts at the local hardware. I didn´t installed a shifter extension and work everithing OK. Regards

I installed a 2" body lift too, can you tell my te size of your tires please? I want to try 32x11.5x15 but I´m not sure if they will fit.

Any more picturs of your ex I just ordered my 2" BL blocks

Nice work techno. The bumpers took way longer than I ever thought they would to line up straight. FYI the 32's fit fine with bodylift, actually ran 32's before the bodylift! 33's on the other hand required cutting some steel and alot of molding trimming.

I would have liked to have done the 3" bodylift, but as you said-no steering extensions required. E-brake still works fine! Had to extend a grounding strap behind the engine.

Hey, just out of curiosity what diameter of blocks did you use? 2x3? 2x2?

Thanks,

Les

Also, any idea on bolt lengths?

These numbers are coming from the 3" lift guide:

Front mounts - 180MM
Mounts that are in front of the front seats - 140MM
Mounts just under the rear of the front seats - I used the stock bolts from the very rear mounts.
Mounts in the front of cargo area - 160MM
Mounts in rear of cargo area - 200MM

Im guessing each bolt should be about 20-25 mm shorter?

I installed a 2" body lift too, can you tell my te size of your tires please? I want to try 32x11.5x15 but I´m not sure if they will fit.

32s will fit for sure, I bought 33s but I will have to go a little higher

Hey, just out of curiosity what diameter of blocks did you use? 2x3? 2x2?

Thanks,

Les

I think I used 3 inches diameter, but I´n not sure I would hace ti messure it again.

Any idea on bolt lengths? and where you got them? ive been checking around and im having a hell of a time finding case hardened full threaded bolts in the right sizes!

Hello people,

Just finished my 2 inch body lift on My 1998 5.0 Explorer. Got some before and after pics. I didnt use any steering extensions or Radiator brackets. I had to trim the plastic that protects the cooling fan and secure a couple steel hoses out of the way of the serpentine belt but other than that, no real problems. Any questions I will be sure to answer.

AFTER
(2 inch body lift)

P3240035.jpg

P3240037.jpg

BEFORE
(torsion twist, Shackles, add-a-leaf)

DSCN3786.jpg

hi before the body lift what size tyres you are using? thanks..!

Hey techno do have any mor pics of how you did the fan shroud and how did you get the rear bumper back on? Is it just 2 inches lower?

I bought the truck and aim in the middle of a motor swap out of a mustang gt fordged internals 303 cam a few little goodies.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

i have a ttt and shackles and im running 33s just fine with no cut but im doing the body lift soon and will be able to run 35s with a lil cutting i think

Back