• Register Today It's free!

2nd row console removable?

generaltso

Reaction score
City, State
Vermont
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 Explorer Limited AWD
Hi Everyone. I'm looking at purchasing a 2013 Limited with 2nd row bucket seats. I'd like the kids to be able to walk through to the 3rd row, so I wasn't planning to get the 2nd row console. But I've been having trouble finding one without it. If I get one with the 2nd row console, is it possible to remove it or is it permanently attached? If it's possible to remove, will it leave any bolts sticking up or anything else that could be a problem for walking through? If I change my mind down the road, and want to reinstall the console, will that be possible?

Thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to the forum :)

While it is removable, I think it is removable in the same way other pieces of interior trim are. It was not designed to be removed by the end user, and as a result I think the carpet has a big hole in it that the console normally hides. I imagine that if you remove it, it should be able to be reinstalled. I wouldn't remove ours though, lol. :)

Thanks Vince. I'd be okay with small bolt holes in the carpet, but I wouldn't want a big hole the size of the console. Do you know of any way I can find out for sure? My dealer doesn't know the answer, and they don't have one with bucket seats to check out.

I think it is a big hole from what others here have reported, but I do not know, and cannot recall, for sure. Let us know what you find out!

Was it on this forum that others reported a big hole? I've been searching around, but haven't found any reports from anyone who's removed it. I'll keep looking.

My "understanding" is that the Explorer and Flex are identical -- here is a link that I've found on the Flex forums. Essentially, the hole in the carpet is the same size as the console (big). But, I plan on getting this T-shaped mat when I remove my console when kiddo #2 comes along.

http://www.fordflex.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=438&start=15

Thanks for that. If the hole is as big as the one in the Flex, I definitely don't want to deal with it. It's interesting that the console in the Flex has a refrigerator.

I'm curious if anyone has tried taking it out. I am still trying to find a mat to fit. The avery ones which seem to be available don't have any pictures so I am not sure if it goes between the seats or not

...If I get one with the 2nd row console, is it possible to remove it or is it permanently attached?...
I'm curious if anyone has tried taking it out...
generaltso & phareous,

I just popped in to confirm that the console is not designed to be added or removed after production. I’m sorry to be the “wet blanket.” :dunno:

...It was not designed to be removed by the end user...
You hit the nail on the head, VinceL; watch your fingers! ;)

My "understanding" is that the Explorer and Flex are identical -- here is a link that I've found on the Flex forums...
I appreciate the due diligence by going cross-forum, goofydisneydaddy! :D

Cory

generaltso & phareous,

I just popped in to confirm that the console is not designed to be added or removed after production. I’m sorry to be the “wet blanket.” :dunno:

Cory

I know Ford doesn't intend for anyone to add or remove it, but that doesn't mean an owner can't modify their own vehicle however they would like. There are obvious hurdles the owner has to overcome (like a big gaping hole in the carpet).

I know Ford doesn't intend for anyone to add or remove it, but that doesn't mean an owner can't modify their own vehicle however they would like...
You’re right, phareous; I can’t stop you. LOL ;)

Cory

Does that mean my guilt trip is working on you? :D

Cory

I tell you what...if I find a floor mat to cover that big hole where the console goes, I'll dedicate the floor mat to you :)

I have a 2012 with bucket back row without the console. There is a plastic cover and under the cover is the big carpet hole. It is held into position by two bolts. Under the cover is a flange that I believe would hold the console in place. You can probably order this cover from Ford. The part number on the plastic cover:
5F93-74674A00-A
Take a look at this post:
http://www.myfordfreestyle.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1695

Hope this helps

I have a 2012 with bucket back row without the console. There is a plastic cover and under the cover is the big carpet hole. It is held into position by two bolts. Under the cover is a flange that I believe would hold the console in place. You can probably order this cover from Ford. The part number on the plastic cover:
5F93-74674A00-A
Take a look at this post:
http://www.myfordfreestyle.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1695

Hope this helps

The problem is on the cars that came with the console, the holder is actually much bigger than what the standard one (covered by the plastic cover) is. Thus to remove it, one needs to find a mat that will go between the seats and cover the gap (in addition to the plastic cover)

Back