Hooking DVD headrests to existing Sony system | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Hooking DVD headrests to existing Sony system

Andrew13

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 Ford Explorer LTD
Hi all,

I'm new to this forum as I've just purchased my first Ford (2013 Explorer Limited). Anyway, I've done a search on this topic and did find an old thread, but didn't seem to get an answer to my question, so I'll ask it here.

I am looking at various headrest DVD players and monitors and I've come across a set of Alpine headrest monitors that I like. Anyway, is there a way to run headrest monitors/DVD players into the existing Sony system in the front of the Explorer, so that I can pop a DVD in the front and it will play in those back seat monitors on the road? Does anyone have a picture of the back of the Sony/Nav units in the front? Just wondering what it looks like and if there are any available ports before deciding which route to go.

Another option would be to run them to a small DVD player box that would be mounted inside the center console and pop the DVD in there for the kids in back. This is not my first option though.

Thanks for your help!
Andrew

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

There is no way you can play a DVD in the my Ford Touch disc player because its a CD player, not DVD player. Sorry no blue laser in there.

The only way to get video from your headrests up to the MFT touch screen would be to get in behind the media hub in the centre console and tap in to the RCA connections. Red/White Audio and yellow video. Or maybe bring the video and audio RCA cables up into the media centre and you plug them in yourself each time you want to see the video.

But remember MFT won't display video when the vehicle is moving, only parked.

IMG_0986.jpg

I have the OEM Ford Invision LT Series Headrest Installation Guide in PDF if you would like I can email it to you if you PM me with your email.

I have the OEM Ford Invision LT Series Headrest Installation Guide in PDF if you would like I can email it to you if you PM me with your email.

Sgt, does the manual say anything about how to hook into power? I thought I read somewhere that limiteds have power in the seat for the DVD player.

Sgt, does the manual say anything about how to hook into power? I thought I read somewhere that limiteds have power in the seat for the DVD player.

If you PM your email I will send the document to you.

The power connection is NOT in the seat, that was someone guessing in an old post. The Dealership connected mine at the fusebox.

If you PM your email I will send the document to you.

The power connection is NOT in the seat, that was someone guessing in an old post. The Dealership connected mine at the fusebox.

Thx, that's what I thought. I plan on connecting mine to the fusebox.

PDF Manual for the install

Does anyone have the pdf install guide for the Explorer. I have a 2014 and looking to install these, but no manual in box. Thanks Ray

Back