• Register Today It's free!

1995 Ford Explorer XLT, My Truck

Vininfinite

Reaction score
City, State
New Jersey
Year, Model & Trim Level
95 Explorer XLT
Well, I've been lurking this forum for many years. Thought I'd finally post something. I've been interested in doing many ridiculous things to my truck over the years, (still considering Jurassic Park colors) but I now have a general idea of the direction I want to head. Once some money comes I will begin a few things. First let me detail my truck and myself.

explrr_by_vininfinite-d576mu2.jpg

Vininfinite's Truck:
1995 Ford Explorer XLT Gray
V6 4L Cologne V6
4WD
~300k
The vehicle is stock. It's been carefully road driven it's whole life.

Vininfinite's Problems (old too new):
OD light comes on if engines not warmed up.
60+ second delayed reverse on cold start.
(OD light doesn't come on when truck can shift into reverse)
When 4WD is engaged front wheels make a grinding sound when turning. I rarely use 4wd other then snow.
Dent on driver side rear door. (dog ran into my truck, I swear)
Small dent above left rear tail light.
Odometer stopped working around 220k
Fuel gauge can very by a 8th of a tank randomly. But not when low.
Rear windows sometimes don't have enough 'inertia' to go up.
Window controls sometimes unresponsive at start up.
Tape deck jammed, sometimes there's a burning electronic smell.
Battery light on, medium age battery. I think my alternators going. Goes off at high rpm, but normally come back on.
Rear spring leaf shackles are rusting threw. Replacing soon.
Rust is getting bad and has to be dealt with soon. Proper rust prevention tools and chemicals on their way.

Im not traditionally mechanically inclined. I have NO workshop and have few tools. I am however very hands on. I do not like taking short cuts almost as much as I hate stopping and starting a project. What I mean by this is if Im going to do something; I don't like going back to it. Yes, I realize this can be a problem with large projects, but I will most likely keep those to a minimum. An example of my light handy work. Inspired by some Jurassic Explorers I've seen.vininfinite.deviantart.JurrasicParkJeep or Power Wheels Forum: Jurrasic Park Jeep

urassic_park__power_wheels__by_vininfinite-d4uaclm.jpg

I'd like to clarify that I really don't care too much how my truck looks right now. I just don't have the money too care. Im more concerned with it's operation. Aside from the general problems I have to work on I'd also like to do some creative efficiency work with my truck. I've taken liking to aldive's 30mpg quest. I'm curious as what difference does SOHC vs non-SOHC engine make towards real world fuel economy. I've looked into diesel modifications and I love the idea, but I just don't have the mechanical knowledge to do it on my own. I'd like to get as much from a gallon of gas as I can. I am a eco driver as is. In fact I've wanted to start a "1500 rpm club" for a while. My Odometers broken, I need to fix that. Maybe I'll just use gps to get a good idea on my fuel economy.

Some varies questions/ideas:

My father has taken care of the truck for the first 14 years. We're still putting dino oil in it. I know synthetics can increase efficiency, but with the original seals I know a full synthetic oil would likely cause leaks. What has to be done?

I've thought about lowering my truck and installing a front air dam. I do enjoy the clearance when I need to stride over that occasional curb or pot hole. What would the cost of a basic hydraulic system be? Recommendations as too what I could do?

I like the idea of some roof mounted spot lights, but I'm curious too see if there's any aero dynamic alternatives. Something flush against the truck.

I'd like too install a camera system for the rear and side mirrors. Cost? Choices?

If I had a camera system couldn't I remove the rear window? What about the side trunk windows? I could loose those and save some weight. If not for weight some metal plates on the back of my truck would look awesome. lol

I don't like the amount of storage in the explorer. The spare tire placement waste so much space. Any info on removing the spare and opening up the bed of the truck to create a storage compartment?

I've seen spare battery's used. Mostly for trucks with sound systems or extremely heavy loads. Im looking for more info on deep cycle battery's. I don't like off roading as a sport, but I love camping in hard to get areas. I want a vehicle that I don't have to worry about not starting. Also where would a common place be for a spare fuel tank on the explorer?

If I were to move the spare I'd hate to put it on the roof. I can't block my trailer hitch and I dislike the idea of a tire on the back of my truck. I don't want to block the inside of my truck bed and I do need the spare. If I have a rear camera couldn't I mount it on the roof INSIDE the truck? With pulley or some sort of drop down rack?

The rear door/gate. I've always wanted a dropping door like a pickup. I've seen this done on chopped explorers. (Sport Trac style) If you were to chop off the bottom (below the glass) of the existing gate (leave a lip) and install a pickup gate to hold lip couldn't that work? Any info if this has been done?

I know this seems like a lot of off the wall stuff I'm asking, but they're just ideas and I'd like to get them off my mind. I don't want to make my truck a off road monster and I also don't want too make it look like a space shuttle, but desides all that my first and foremost concerns are the mechanical problems like the battery/alternator. I wish my tranny would work right, but after many articles I already know it's hopeless. The Explorer trannys are just nervous recks. I would like some info on my window problems though. Being caught in the rain with my windows down will kill me.

Please feel free to ask any questions or answer any!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Well, I've been lurking this forum for many years. Thought I'd finally post something. I've been interested in doing many ridiculous things to my truck over the years, (still considering Jurassic Park colors) but I now have a general idea of the direction I want to head. Once some money comes I will begin a few things. First let me detail my truck and myself.

Good to hear from you

When 4WD is engaged front wheels make a grinding sound when turning. I rarely use 4wd other then snow.
Battery light on, medium age battery. I think my alternators going. Goes off at high rpm, but normally come back on.
Rust is getting bad and has to be dealt with soon. Proper rust prevention tools and chemicals on their way.

Sounds like you've got a bit of a list to work on.

Im not traditionally mechanically inclined. I have NO workshop and have few tools. I am however very hands on. I do not like taking short cuts almost as much as I hate stopping and starting a project. What I mean by this is if Im going to do something; I don't like going back to it. Yes, I realize this can be a problem with large projects, but I will most likely keep those to a minimum. An example of my light handy work. Inspired by some Jurassic Explorers I've seen.vininfinite.deviantart.JurrasicParkJeep or Power Wheels Forum: Jurrasic Park Jeep

I've rebuilt engines in my driveway. Don't worry, none of us start out mechanics, we just learn as we go, and thanks to the magic of the internets, you have a good resource to learn.

I'd like to clarify that I really don't care too much how my truck looks right now. I just don't have the money too care. Im more concerned with it's operation. Aside from the general problems I have to work on I'd also like to do some creative efficiency work with my truck. I've taken liking to aldive's 30mpg quest. I'm curious as what difference does SOHC vs non-SOHC engine make towards real world fuel economy. I've looked into diesel modifications and I love the idea, but I just don't have the mechanical knowledge to do it on my own. I'd like to get as much from a gallon of gas as I can. I am a eco driver as is. In fact I've wanted to start a "1500 rpm club" for a while. My Odometers broken, I need to fix that. Maybe I'll just use gps to get a good idea on my fuel economy.

It is a good bit harder to get anything out of mods to the OHV, and my best advice to you would be to worry about fixing things that need to be fixed before you concern yourself with mods.

My father has taken care of the truck for the first 14 years. We're still putting dino oil in it. I know synthetics can increase efficiency, but with the original seals I know a full synthetic oil would likely cause leaks. What has to be done?

Synthetic oil doesn't cause leaks, that is an old wives tale. To switch to synthetic, you need to drain your old oil, then add synthetic. You can even mix them if you want. Your engine will never know the difference.

I've thought about lowering my truck and installing a front air dam. I do enjoy the clearance when I need to stride over that occasional curb or pot hole. What would the cost of a basic hydraulic system be? Recommendations as too what I could do?

Hydraulics? Wait, you want to be able to raise and lower your truck on demand? First off, most people would do that with airbags, not hydraulics. Second off, it is VERY expensive. You need to focus on fixing your mechanical issues first anyway. Lowering your truck is very easy if you choose to do it. You need blocks for the back and you can search on here for torsion flip.

I like the idea of some roof mounted spot lights, but I'm curious too see if there's any aero dynamic alternatives. Something flush against the truck.

You are kind of all over the map here with mods. Lowering is for street trucks, off-road lights are for off-roaders. There are more aerodynamic alternatives. LED light bars or smaller lights. LEDs are very expensive, but they are the closest to being "flush against the truck". If you are concerned about aero, and need off-road lights, many people mount them in front of (or behind) their grill on their bumper.

I'd like too install a camera system for the rear and side mirrors. Cost? Choices?

what??? What do you want cameras on your mirrors for?

If I had a camera system couldn't I remove the rear window? What about the side trunk windows? I could loose those and save some weight. If not for weight some metal plates on the back of my truck would look awesome. lol

Why do you want to remove your windows? They don't weigh that much, and you are fighting an uphill battle with weight in a 4500 lb truck. I mean, you can remove any you want, but if you remove any of the windows near the back, with an enclosed cab, you will just end up creating a low pressure area that will fill up with exhaust fumes while you drive. If you want to just weld sheet metal over the holes, sure you can save weight, but you are going to be doing a lot of body work... Also, you may want to check local laws before considering that. You may be required to have rear windows that allow light to pass through. In my state, it doesn't matter, but laws vary. Sure, you can go for the panel van look, but it might look kind of silly on a 4 door. Also, with a rear view camera system, it is not recommended for that to be your only means of looking to the rear. When backing up with one, you should always turn your head and physically LOOK behind you, because there may be things hidden from the camera. Even with a very wide angle lens, it is mounted all the way on the back of your truck, so naturally, it has blind spots that you don't from your position. Rear view cameras are meant to eliminate your blind spots, not replace turning your head and looking.

I don't like the amount of storage in the explorer. The spare tire placement waste so much space. Any info on removing the spare and opening up the bed of the truck to create a storage compartment?

Yeah, remove it, cut a hole in the floor and weld in a box. You will need to move your shock mounts probably too. I did it on my old ranger to give myself an in-bed trunk.

I've seen spare battery's used. Mostly for trucks with sound systems or extremely heavy loads. Im looking for more info on deep cycle battery's. I don't like off roading as a sport, but I love camping in hard to get areas. I want a vehicle that I don't have to worry about not starting. Also where would a common place be for a spare fuel tank on the explorer?

You have a 20 gallon tank... Just fill it up before you go out in the woods. As for batteries, a regular battery will start your engine, even in the woods. A deep cycle isn't good for normal use. If you want a battery to run gadgets when you go camping, just carry a deep cycle battery with you, and put it on a battery charger before you go somewhere. Shouldn't you be more worried about fixing your mechanical problems so your truck doesn't break down in the middle of nowhere and leave you walking back to civilization before you worry about having enough gas and batteries to survive in the wilderness for months?

If I were to move the spare I'd hate to put it on the roof. I can't block my trailer hitch and I dislike the idea of a tire on the back of my truck. I don't want to block the inside of my truck bed and I do need the spare. If I have a rear camera couldn't I mount it on the roof INSIDE the truck? With pulley or some sort of drop down rack?

You can mount it anywhere you want. I'm seeing this theme of rear view cameras.... If you want a rear view camera, you can mount them anywhere you want on the back of your truck. They make ones that work as license plate frames, and your license plate is on your bumper. If you mount a spare on the back of your truck, you won't block your license plate anyway, so don't worry about it... But, all this talk about modification, you've got a pretty big list of mechanical problems to deal with.

The rear door/gate. I've always wanted a dropping door like a pickup. I've seen this done on chopped explorers. (Sport Trac style) If you were to chop off the bottom (below the glass) of the existing gate (leave a lip) and install a pickup gate to hold lip couldn't that work? Any info if this has been done?

Yes, it has been done. Search.

I know this seems like a lot of off the wall stuff I'm asking, but they're just ideas and I'd like to get them off my mind. I don't want to make my truck a off road monster and I also don't want too make it look like a space shuttle, but desides all that my first and foremost concerns are the mechanical problems like the battery/alternator. I wish my tranny would work right, but after many articles I already know it's hopeless. The Explorer trannys are just nervous recks. I would like some info on my window problems though. Being caught in the rain with my windows down will kill me.

Please feel free to ask any questions or answer any!

???? What do you mean making your tranny work right is hopeless? Anyway, let's work on fixing your issues, and I suggest reading more about transmissions and consider saving some money to fix or replace your transmission.

You need to address these issues soon.

Is this when you are on pavement, or surfaces with low traction? When you engage 4wd, the front and rear axles are locked together, despite the fact that when you go around a corner, all wheels are turning at different speeds. When you have traction, scrubbing is normal.

Search on the internet for popping dents with cold and heat.

That dent will be harder to fix than the other, but it is possible, depends on how much you want to learn about body work, or pay someone to do it.

Just the odometer? You can buy a replacement cluster, but remember, if you ever sell the vehicle, you need to be very clear about mileage discrepancies.

Fuel gauges are rarely accurate, they are meant more to give you an idea of how full it is. There is a float in your tank attached to a lever. That float is sitting at the very top of the lever whether it is full, or very near full, so it just says full during that time. During the rest of its sweep, the amount of vertical movement is not directly proportional to the angular movement, and the tank is not exactly the same size all the way down, it is an irregular shape.

Inertia is an incorrect choice of words. Inertia is the resistance of an object to changes in its state of motion. "Oompf" would probably be the word you are looking for. Take your door panel off, then clean and lube your window track and motor.

Could you clarify?

Replace it.

Go to a mechanic or walmart or anywhere and have your battery and alternator tested. If your alternator is going, it can ruin your battery and increase the cost of your repairs. Plus, this could leave you stranded somewhere easily. You don't want to miss work or something important because you neglected this do you? I would say this is your first priority.

Good plan

Once again, good plan.

Synthetic oil doesn't cause leaks, that is an old wives tale.
Oh, fantastic. Well that shows what I don't know.

Most people would do that with airbags.
Well it was an idea. I'll do it some day.

You are kind of all over the map here with mods.
Im not planing on doing all of this. Just asking about various things.

Lowering is for street trucks, off-road lights are for off-roaders.
My Explorer is mostly going to be on the streets. But I do camp. Lowering a truck can have large improvements are gas mileage. You're hiding more of the tires surface area and you're reducing the drag under the truck. Problem is I like to go off road a bit. I don't want to be disabled in a low truck, but lowering it a 'little' will not create a huge improvement.

Many people mount them in front of (or behind) their grill on their bumper.
I'm looking for a high angle of light. Grill lights are definitely considered.

What do you want cameras on your mirrors for?
I want to remove my mirrors. I'd really like a rear camera and if I can do that I may do the side mirrors too.

Rear view cameras are meant to eliminate your blind spots, not replace turning your head and looking.
Gottcha.

But, all this talk about modification, you've got a pretty big list of mechanical problems to deal with.
Don't worry. Its just talk. I want to hear opinion.

Yes, it has been done. Search.
I don't know what I would be searching for. What do you call that?

What do you mean making your tranny work right is hopeless?
What I've read online details the Explorer tranny as problematic. I know my tranny is fine mechanically. The trucks been baby'd it's whole life. The problems Im having I would think would be associated with some sort of electrical (I hate to calling it that) problem. A sensor or something.

You need to address these issues soon.
Those issues have been there for 8 years. LOL So yea, the sooner the better.

Is this when you are on pavement, or surfaces with low traction? When you have traction, scrubbing is normal.
Scrubbing, yes on pavement. I thought it was something like that, but when you start searching "grinding sounds" and "transmission" on google you automatically assume the worse.

That dent will be harder to fix than the other, but it is possible, depends on how much you want to learn about body work, or pay someone to do it.
It's not noticeable. I assumed you'd that, but I wanted to ask.

Just the odometer? You can buy a replacement cluster.
It hasn't been important too me lately. I might do it now.

Fuel gauges are rarely accurate.
Yes I know. It's a floating measuring stick in a tub of liquid. It just feels like it's been less accurate.

Take your door panel off, then clean and lube your window track and motor.
Recommended lube?

Could you clarify?
This happens randomly and hasn't happened to much as of lately. When I start my truck sometimes all my power windows do not work. (I believe the locks too) I hear no sounds from the windows while pressing the buttons meanwhile the rest of my truck is fine. After 15-60 seconds power returns to my windows and I can operate them as usual. This can happen during a cold start or any time during driving if the truck is turned off and then on again. It is random other occurring only at start up.

Replace it.
Orly? Idk I like the smell of my tape deck burning.

Go to a mechanic or walmart or anywhere and have your battery and alternator tested.
This problem has only started about a week ago now. Im on it though.

Once again, good plan.
Thanks.

Another thing. My windshield wiper switch can be a pain. I don't think the switch is making the correct contacts. I would think this is semi normal considering it is a high use switch, but I want to know if it is indeed the switch before I try to find a replacement.

300k, nice!

White lithium grease is what you should use for lubing your window track.

I've been doing a lot of surfing for explorer stuff lately, I noticed a mention of driving lights/fog lights. I actually came across a flush mount light bar for the roof, very cheap on ebay. Mount/seal it to the roof, and drill a hole and run a wire down into the cab, real easy. (I hate running wires from the engine area, lol)

Back