cold air intake | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

cold air intake

the manzo

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1993 ford explorer xlt
does anyone know where i could buy a cold air intake

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Do a search.

You can build your own too.

i see a cold air intake made by kkn on ebay sometimes. but pvc pipe is a heck of alot cheaper.

build your own for less than $100.

@ the manzo: you do realize that a cai is not going to gain any type of significant increases. This is a 4k lb suv shaped like a brick, it's not like a honda where you can throw on an intake and a fart muffler and be cool.

However if you like the body lines and are not concerned with getting down the road very fast, then the explorer is for you.

To speed up the next round of questions, fast equals v8 motor swap.... break out the check book. (the easiest) more advanced is listed throughout the forum (expensive) to go fast with an explorer is NOT cheap.

PLEASE SEARCH next time.... there is a MASSIVE thread on the modified explorer section on building a cold air intake.

i was going to do the kkm but it's basically just a filter, which you can buy at a local auto parts store. you're still left with the janky plastic intake tube, that, btw, decides to rott or tear and give you leaks in your intake system. i just went to oreily's and bought the intake tubing do it yourself bends and an air filter that matched the mas/mam. it's cheap and easy. ifab makes one too http://www.ifab.net/products/93intake/91Ex/index.html

I've never seen a factory intake tube rot or tear.

In the inner folds of the accordion sections, they tend to wear down to nothing over time. Mine hasn't yet, but I've seen plenty like that in the junk yard.

@ the manzo: you do realize that a cai is not going to gain any type of significant increases. This is a 4k lb suv shaped like a brick, it's not like a honda where you can throw on an intake and a fart muffler and be cool.

However if you like the body lines and are not concerned with getting down the road very fast, then the explorer is for you.

To speed up the next round of questions, fast equals v8 motor swap.... break out the check book. (the easiest) more advanced is listed throughout the forum (expensive) to go fast with an explorer is NOT cheap.

PLEASE SEARCH next time.... there is a MASSIVE thread on the modified explorer section on building a cold air intake.
lol why do people give their opinions in great detail and then tell you to search next time like you were wasting their time?
So since this is a 4000 lb brick you may as not even inflate the tires, seems it makes no difference lol glad I Don't drive a honda with a fart muffler, I would be embarrassed

lol why do people give their opinions in great detail and then tell you to search next time like you were wasting their time?
So since this is a 4000 lb brick you may as not even inflate the tires, seems it makes no difference lol glad I Don't drive a honda with a fart muffler, I would be embarrassed

I said to search cause the question was stupid to begin with. Most folks don't bother to search the question that has been answered many times.

The honda analogy was just that, an analogy. It was the first thing I thought of that people modify with fart mufflers and intakes.

The 4000 lb brick statement was from a couple different members that said those exact words, not in the same post, or even the same sentence.

I'm sorry you didn't get my sarcasm the first time. Any other longtime member would've said search first, I just happened to be the first one to say it. And my tires stay aired up at all times just so we're clear.

Going to back you up on this one Mr Cribb. Except for the fact that I said "do a search" first ;)

Ultimately some good info came out of this thread for whoever stumbles across it next. Bottom line, there are several options for air intakes, but not an off-the-shelf true CAI solution. The KKM kits and the DIY route are two options and all are well documented on this site.

However, as Mr Cribb said, do not expect significant improvements. Personally I feel both my Explorers run a lot better with the air intake I fabricated, but, whether the cost involved would be worth it depends on the individual. It is a little like an electric fan; added cost and hassle for a very small performance boost, which for some people is fine but for others it is not practical.

i know what you mean, im not trying to break a land speed record. i just want to free up the intake a bit.

But it's already tuned for the application and the exhaust- 'freeing up the intake' isn't going to do anything other than lighten your wallet.

Some post are full of information nd a joy to read--- then there is this one.

Back