Bottom Door Edge Issue?? | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Bottom Door Edge Issue??

A couple pictures:
daccd13b.jpg

Yes, you can see the rust...I wiped the door with a wet rag prior to the picture. I was hoping it was dirt.
8f7bac45.jpg

thanks for the pictures. I have exactly the same problem. My color is silver, so it's not as noticeable as yours. Your absolutely right, re-painting does not fix the problem, it just cures the symptom.
In my opinion, it's a design flaw, very poor execution of that lower door edge to vehicle body. My other vehicle, a 7-year old passat, has a much better design execution in that area (it has a plastic cladding, which is what actually rubs against the body, as opposed as sheet metal rubbing against it).
At the very least, should be repainted and a 3M protective film should be applied. Good luck fighting it with your dealership.
For now, I am careful to rinse out that area, especially during winter months to get rid of any salt spray that will further enhance rust.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

For now, I am careful to rinse out that area, especially during winter months to get rid of any salt spray that will further enhance rust.

Part of my problem is I am incredibly busy lately. I own a new car every few years so I never have to deal with problems. It's very common to not wash my car for a couple months. BAD combo for winter with all the salt we get in MN. Last winter was very, very mild...if we get a lot of snow that will rust in no time.

Part of my problem is I am incredibly busy lately. I own a new car every few years so I never have to deal with problems. It's very common to not wash my car for a couple months. BAD combo for winter with all the salt we get in MN. Last winter was very, very mild...if we get a lot of snow that will rust in no time.

I've got to check mine over when I get home. Even without the salt spray, all it takes is exposed metal and some moisture to start rusting.

Take it to your dealer and report back. If they give you gruff let me know - I know a great dealer in the TC area with a body shop who could probably repaint and fix it permanently and has great CS.

I've got to check mine over when I get home. Even without the salt spray, all it takes is exposed metal and some moisture to start rusting.

Take it to your dealer and report back. If they give you gruff let me know - I know a great dealer in the TC area with a body shop who could probably repaint and fix it permanently and has great CS.

Much appreciated. I'll let you know if my current dealer I work with isn't helpful. Just an FYI-they simply said they need to see it and document to get approval to fix. I have my fingers crossed, can't get there for a few days.

This doesn't seem to be a common problem but should be realtively easy to fix. If I had that problem I'd probably try running a narrow strip of duct tape or something similar along the bottom where the paint is being affected. I realize it shouldn't be necessary to do this with a relatively new vehicle but other than trying to realign the door, it could be a solution. I think the last thing you want down there is bare metal.

Peter

Duct tape. Priceless.

Duct tape. Priceless.
101 uses. I wonder how many colours it comes in? I've only seen it in the silver/grey. It would seem that painting it will only result in the same problem again down the road.
Perhaps spraying a clear lacquer or something similar over the repainted part might help.

Peter

I checked my driver's side door today and I did not see this issue. I will check the other doors and look more carefully at my driver's side door (I checked real quick).

Perhaps an alignment issue.

I have the exact same paint wearing off too, it is mostly in the corner area of bottom door where it crimps upwards. I have it on the driver side but I haven't checked the passenger side. I just noticed this in the past week and now I read this post. The metal is now shiny. I've got to report it to my dealer. My car is 6 months old.

The doors mate up to a rubber weatherstripping piece that runs along the lower rockers. The doors are not free of vibration, so as the vehicle drives the doors will rub on the weatherstripping and wear into the metal. I was just about to lube and clean my weatherstripping before this. My truck has the dealer installed rustproofing and that area of the door was rustproofed but it has rubbed off the rustproofing and the paint. I also have to keep this truck for 7 years so this isn't good, I have lifetime rust protection but they will probably find an excuse to void the warranty if the vehicle has a defect like this as the rustproof company is not Ford.

I thought all cars/trucks rusted at the bottom of the doors because it is easy for water to settle there, and a vehicle is not air-tight since moisture, air, salt, etc. can easily build-up there. I have owned/leased Rangers dating back to 98' and my wife owns an 07' Ford Edge, and I think that this is a very common problem.

On a lighter note, duct tape comes in a wide-variety of colors. In fact, the original Duct tape company is based near me, and I have seen flourescent colored and all sorts of odd designs in print now.

I totally forgot to report back. My ex has been in the body shop all week. Dealer took pictures last week to get approval...less than 15 minutes after I left Ford had approved the work.

He had an interesting comment. It was both doors on the drivers side...he was blaming the rocker panel more than the door adjustment. Either way, dealer and Ford responded fast and how I hoped. The renal sucks...but I can suffer to get my ex how it is supposed to be.

101 uses. I wonder how many colours it comes in? I've only seen it in the silver/grey. It would seem that painting it will only result in the same problem again down the road.
Perhaps spraying a clear lacquer or something similar over the repainted part might help.

Peter

WHAT WHAT WHAT!?!? You have only seen silver and grey?? You my friend have not lived yet!! http://www.tapebrothers.com/Special-Duct-Tapes-s/19.htm 8-P

My boy pete i told you get out more pal !! Lol !!!

Wow, I definitely have to get out more.;) Most times when I'm looking for that tape I visit the local hardware store and they don't have that same variety for the everyday handy man.
Thanks for brightening up my day!:D

Peter

Are you telling me that handymen don't have a use for Hello Kitty duct tape?? LOL

I believe I'd ask Ford to fix it. Then depending on what they did, I'd add a coat of clear Chip Guard over it, or use the clear Chip Guard tape over it...the tape might be better because it could be replaced from time to time, since any fix will probally keep wearing in that area....best regards Plum

I just checked my doors and both drivers side doors are this way, when I run my finger across the door it comes back a nice gem green color. I'll be going in to get my oil changed soon and hope to have the same results as uniquename. I have to admit I'm a little torqued off that this is happening on a 3 month old vehicle.

I checked my doors and one has minor scuffing. It appears that the bottom of the door meets up with a rubber, 1/4 radius seal when the door closes. It's safe to assume any grit/dirt on the seal will rub against the door when opening or closing and act like sandpaper on the paint.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Poor/cheap design execution of having the sheetmetal edge meet up to the plastic surface.

Back