Carlovers Desert Beater Build | Page 33 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Carlovers Desert Beater Build

Well im starting to source parts and gather up some good stuff. I figured id start a thread just to show everyone that the ideas are. Should be a pretty fun setup when done. Everything will be being built by Brandon at BTF Fab.

The rear will be a 4 link with a panhard bar and cantilever coilovers. Shooting for around 20" of rear travel. Full size van 9", and should be around 3.5" wider per side than stock

Front will be a BTF front setup more than likely with a fully fabbed spindle with d44 hubs and uniball upper and lowers. Should pull around 16-17" of travel. Will be around 5" wider a side than stock.

It will be a fairly slow build due to finances. It will be built in stages obviously and should take around 12-16 months to be fully complete.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

Dam!! I just got done going through the whole thread!! Love the explorer!!!

Taking it out again in a few weeks. Upgraded to a bullet proof 3rd member and 35 spline axles. Along with a few other things and redesign of the rear setup. Should be better then ever now. Ill make it a point to get vids this time out.

Sean, Brandon, great work guys - that thing is awesome!!!

Thanks for posting the pics & writeup, i'm glad you switched to the better camera, this whole thread is awesome! It's like homemade **** for FORDophiles... Crack for horsepower junkies!! I innocently came in here looking for info on lift spindles and UCA's (some of which I found, thanks!) for a mild utility-oriented suspension upgrade and, one day and 33 pages later, I find myself looking at my Sport trac the same way I used to look at my mustang... you know, back when the 'stang was street legal and I could drive it every day to go places, like you would in a regular car. Man, I shoulda just stayed with the setup that ran high 12's!

That won't happen this time though - just mild suspension, maybe headers, or at most a 460 with a 120 shot. ;)

Early on in the build when you had the fabtech spindles, you were looking to get wheels with more backspace. Did you ever figure out the maximum before the wheels contact the spindles?

Managed to cut up a stock hatch and make it fit. makes a world of difference in looks.

283709_468692313159651_439036275_n.jpg

Very cool, would love to see more pics of the hatch, cant tell exactly what you did, but I like it.

No i had to get the manifold out so the cross bars were put on removable tube clamps awhile back. It's definatly gonna be a challenge to show horn this bad boy in there though. The firewall is going to have to get cut and redone so we can slide it back a few inches.

...Nice find...Gas must be cheaper over in your neighborhood...:p:

...So....Is your beater going to be able to make it to Truckhaven in October?

Back