Torque Monster Headers Install Write-up and Review | Page 16 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Torque Monster Headers Install Write-up and Review

Celly, any idea where Bob gets those gaskets from? I'll buy that spare one Bob have! My headers are leaking, not sure where, I think both sides though. That's about 2 months on Remflex gaskets. Gotta decide what to try next.

Unfortunately with how Bob has vanished off the face of the earth, if I had one left, I'd have to keep it.

Original gasket: blown
1st replacement: not tightened down properly; blown.
2nd replacement: it's in my truck; replaced Remflex gasket I cut to replace the 1st replacement.

I'm on my 4th gasket in 3 years since I got the headers. This last gasket seems to be holding out.

No idea where he gets them. He probably has them made for him.

Fortunately, I traced the gasket on to light cardboard stock as a template for future reference so I can cut my own out of gasket material if needed. I hope it doesn't come to that because I can't remember where I put the template. :(

You should be fine. Make sure the gasket is cinched down good.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Well what was preventative planning ahead has turned into a neccesity to get some gaskets now. I developed a pretty loud leak on the drivers side manifold over the weekend and now I NEED another set of gaskets so I can finish having it tunned by James. I guess if we can't find where Bob got these made at then I'll have to struggle though making my own set... :banghead:

Well what was preventative planning ahead has turned into a neccesity to get some gaskets now. I developed a pretty loud leak on the drivers side manifold over the weekend and now I NEED another set of gaskets so I can finish having it tunned by James. I guess if we can't find where Bob got these made at then I'll have to struggle though making my own set... :banghead:

There are plenty of commercial options for the main gaskets. It's the small gasket between the two pieces on the driver's side that you'd need to fabricate yourself.

There are plenty of commercial options for the main gaskets. It's the small gasket between the two pieces on the driver's side that you'd need to fabricate yourself.

oh well that's not a big deal. The gaskets that AFR (the manufacture of my heads) recommends doesn't fit as nicely as the ones that came with headers. What part numbers are you guys using as replacement gaskets?

I used remflex gaskets with stage 8 locking header bolts and have had no leaks on my tmh's

If it helps, Bob told me the gasket was from a Porsche. He didn't give me a make or model, but if there was a parts source nearby and a helpful counter person, you may get somewhere. I can't remember if I still have my box of spare gaskets or not, I'll try to look this afternoon.

^^^
That's damn good info!

Again, for the main gaskets, see if you can find a set of MLS gaskets that will work. But you know, since these are the different 5.0 head, I wonder if that will be an issue...

No wonder they run, with Porsche gaskets... :D

Actually, I'm surprised they even start with those gasket! Ok...here it comes...

If it helps, Bob told me the gasket was from a Porsche. He didn't give me a make or model, but if there was a parts source nearby and a helpful counter person, you may get somewhere. I can't remember if I still have my box of spare gaskets or not, I'll try to look this afternoon.

Maybe a 928???

Good stuff Jon. Looks like the gasket fo sho. If anyone can confirm, I might order a set or two for future use.

I've been talking with someone from Remflex the past couple of days about getting replacement gaskets, and I mentioned this one to her too. She asked me for a couple of measurements and she will try to find one that fits. I'll report back when she lets me know if they have one.

And on a side note, I had no idea your Mountaineer was totaled Evan. So sad, but glad it kept your wife safe.

Does anyone have a set of uninstalled headers that can confirm the dimension from center to center of the bolt holes on the flange on that #1 tube? I measured approximately 2.25" but it's a little difficult to measure it with the headers installed on my truck. Thanks.

I've been talking with someone from Remflex the past couple of days about getting replacement gaskets, and I mentioned this one to her too. She asked me for a couple of measurements and she will try to find one that fits. I'll report back when she lets me know if they have one

Remflex has great customer service. They sent me some cardboard templates of some gaskets they sell that appeared close. Unfortunately they weren't bang on. They also sent me a sample of their material which allowed me to cut a gasket by comparing to the original.

Unfortunately, the Remflex gasket didn't last long in that position. It started breaking apart a bit at a time before there was no gasket material left. :(

Has anyone tried this gasket before? Looks like it might fit perfectly, and Remflex is willing to send me one to try. The ID of the gasket is 1 7/16", and the header tubes are 1.5" OD correct? That should be pretty close.

http://catalog.remflex.com/COLLECTOR_CONNECTOR_Flange_Exhaust_Gasket_p/8051.htm

Another side note...Remflex's customer service is incredible! Definitely a pleasure to deal with.

Remflex has great customer service. They sent me some cardboard templates of some gaskets they sell that appeared close. Unfortunately they weren't bang on. They also sent me a sample of their material which allowed me to cut a gasket by comparing to the original.

Unfortunately, the Remflex gasket didn't last long in that position. It started breaking apart a bit at a time before there was no gasket material left. :(

That Remflex gasket wasn't the one that broke when the bolts loosened themselves?

And that Porsche gasket doesn't have any dimensions listed, so who knows if it would actually fit.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back