• Register Today It's free!

Battery Issues

11Limited

Reaction score
City, State
MN
Year, Model & Trim Level
2011 Limited
Am I expecting to much from a new battery or is there really that much draw.

I picked up my X yesterday and last night and this afternoon, I spent about 20-25 minutes inside, engine off but in active accessory mode, just playing with MFT and Sync.

Both times , I end up with a completely DEAD battery in less that 30 minutes. That can't be normal, can it?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

no way it is normal, it should last longer than that, i would say the battery is no good.

I have done the same thing for at least that long several times with no battery problems. If I remember right, it warned me one time that I should start the truck to recharge the battery. Sounds like you have a faulty battery.

This is Strange! Right after reading your thread I happened to go to FLMOwner.com and it shows a coupon at my dealer through May 31 for what appears to be a free battery check. I hope this does not mean that there is a problem going around.

I picked up my X yesterday and last night and this afternoon, I spent about 20-25 minutes inside, engine off but in active accessory mode, just playing with MFT and Sync.

Both times , I end up with a completely DEAD battery in less that 30 minutes. That can't be normal, can it?

It is 100% possible this battery has never seen a full charge after sitting and awaiting delivery. When my cousin worked as a lot attendant for a Chrysler dealer, he told me many stories of dead batteries and cars simply being jump-started and handed to customers when sold. My opinion is to put the battery on a charge overnight (be sure to disconnect a terminal). If you dont have a charger or are not inclined to try, Leave it with your dealer to charge the battery. Most people think the alternator will charge the battery, however that is not the alternators job and it doesnt happen in an hour of driving. Motorcraft batteries are generally very good quality.

I've noticed a couple times when I was tailgating, that after about 15-20 miniutes, it goes into a power save mode from just having the radio on. This is the first time a vehicle I've had has ever done it that soon.

I've gone into power save mode once, but I don't remember if it was 15 or 20 minutes.

My experience with a dead battery is with an '08 Honda Accord with Nav, etc. 20 - 25 minutes with a year-old battery and radio/Nav on and the battery was dead. The service dept. story was that this can definitely happen with the new electronics.

Not that you were doing this, but they also said it's pretty common for people to talk on their cell phone in vehicles with their foot on the brake. Brake lights, always on for 15 - 20 minutes will draw down a battery too.

With the power saver in the Explorer, I wonder just what it powers down?

I've had my accessories on for over an hour when I was playing with the MFT and making phone calls in the car at the park. Totally no problems. I think it's because you recently got the car and you need to charge the battery up.

After about a month or two, if you don't start the car, the battery has no charge left. Had this many times with my dad's Econoline.

As a few people said, it’s possible the battery wasn’t fully charged, but because having your Explorer not start is a huge inconvenience, I would like to look into this issue for you. If you send me a private message with your VIN, approximate mileage, and the dealer name, then I can see if I can offer my assistance with getting this resolved.

Cory

Dead battery

Went out of town for 6 days and when I returned battery was completely dead. 5 months old vehicle. I had OnStar FMV installed and my thought was that it drained the battery. I called OnStar and they said the mirror has a self contained battery for power. I think that battery is just a backup and OnStar drawers power from the car. I know the GPS(nav) etc. is always on. Any thoughts?

Went out of town for 6 days and when I returned battery was completely dead. 5 months old vehicle. I had OnStar FMV installed and my thought was that it drained the battery. I called OnStar and they said the mirror has a self contained battery for power. I think that battery is just a backup and OnStar drawers power from the car. I know the GPS(nav) etc. is always on. Any thoughts?
This isn't the first post about a battery dying after sitting for a while. I recall this item being brought up a few months ago. Unfortunately I do not remember much more about it. You can try seaching the forum to see if anything pops up.

Peter

I had my old XM receiver and brake controller kill a battery after about the same amount of time on my old explorer. Small draw, but over time, it can do it, especially with smaller batteries on newer cars.

Now, I make sure to unplug the brake controller when I'm parking it for a while at the airport, etc.

Sorta off topic (sorry to hear your situation). One of the first upgrades I always do is a battery. Yellow Top Optima. I leave a Kenwood UHF radio on constantly and have never had a YT die, only factory batteries. Expensive (about $150+) but worth it if you are solo and/or with nobody to jump your battery. Buys peace of mind, too.

Dead Battery Again

Has any one else had a dead battery? Our Explorer has been completely dead 3 times since we got it new(july 2011). Sits over night or all day at work.... push the button and ALL the lights on the dash flash, warnings about brakes, BLIS, hill desent faults, etc... but does not even try to start. Put the jumper cables on and it starts instantly.
2011 Limited with push button start, 13,000 on it now. Just another problem to add to the long list we have had. Love the explorer, sick of the head ache.

Take it to the dealer.
Even though I do not an explorer YET. It sounds like you have a light or something staying on to cause a drain. Maybe the MFT computer not cutting off.

It could also be a bad battery. If you have a second car, try swapping the batteries. If the explorer still does the problem then it is in the electrical part of the car and a circuit is staying closed to cause a drain.

If the problem goes away then the battery has a problem but from what you posted it looks like you have an intermentant circuit staying on. Other than pulling fuses to find which circuit is causing the problem, You should take the car to the dealer.

Have you added any accessories?

We call and go to the dealer every time we have a problem. This time they said the same as you." Must of left a light on" but per page #81 owners guide the battery saver should not let this happen or if its a heavy drain the battery management system should kick in(page#379). Also all the dash warnings go off and the car starts instantly with jumper cable. Does not crank hard or need to leave cables on for a few minutes. Put the cables on, push button for about half a second, dash light flash it starts.

Changing the battery is not option for us. The next time it does it I'm having towed to the Ford dealer.

No accessories added.

Has any one else had a dead battery? Our Explorer has been completely dead 3 times since we got it new(july 2011). Sits over night or all day at work.... push the button and ALL the lights on the dash flash, warnings about brakes, BLIS, hill desent faults, etc... but does not even try to start. Put the jumper cables on and it starts instantly.
2011 Limited with push button start, 13,000 on it now. Just another problem to add to the long list we have had. Love the explorer, sick of the head ache.
When it fails to start, have you ever tried turning on the headlights to see if they are as bright as they should be? Good sounding horn? If they are, I can't see the battery being the problem.
Seems to me that I read previous posts about battery problems almost a year ago.

Peter

Ya know it maybe a bad chip in the cars computer or a bad mother board now that I think about it.

If all things are good mechanically then look at the computer. A chip may have a bad soter point that needs extra power to get around.

Good idea to take to the dealer next time it happens.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Battery replacement EX 2011

I did an advansed search and found nothing on a proper way to replace a battery of a explorer 2011 and newer models :( . My battery went dead so before I disconect any cables wanted to know if someone heard of a proper way to do it. I do not want any sorprises since the owners manual doesnt desribe much of it. So much gadgets on my EX that want them to continue to work properly when I conect the new battery. Thanks in advance :usa: :salute:

Back