Installing aftermarket DVD headrests | Page 4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Installing aftermarket DVD headrests

I have these but they still don't tilt enough. Not bad but still too far back, but I'm the only one who notices that...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have these but they still don't tilt enough. Not bad but still too far back, but I'm the only one who notices that...

Could you please post some pictures ?

How long did it take to install these aftermarket units for the average do-it-yourself'er?

installed a set from onfair.com over the holidays. Overall, the setup looks pretty good. Installation was relatively easy using examples from previous posts on this thread. One thing I do not like is the headrest is not as thick as factory headrest and does not tilt forward/backward as much as the factory headrest. It's not comfortable to lean your head back. At $300 delivered, it's a bargain compared to the factory option.

We have had onfair headrests in our 05 XLT for over 2 years and have been very happy with them. So happy that after we take delivery on our 12 XLT we will be getting a new set (old are gray and need a new color -TBD)
The price is unbeatable and have been extremely happy with the quality.
I installed them myself (Laura) but we never hard wired because we were waiting to upgrade the Explorer (never thinking it would take this long)

We have had onfair headrests in our 05 XLT for over 2 years and have been very happy with them. So happy that after we take delivery on our 12 XLT we will be getting a new set (old are gray and need a new color -TBD)
The price is unbeatable and have been extremely happy with the quality.
I installed them myself (Laura) but we never hard wired because we were waiting to upgrade the Explorer (never thinking it would take this long)

I have them in my 2011. If you actually like to use your headrest to rest your head, these suck. My wife hates them because they don't tilt forward enough and with the design of the Explorer seats these headrests sit too far back. I don't lean my head back while driving so don't care that much but for the front passenger, it makes the seats very uncomfortable if you want to sleep or lean head back on long drives. I called onfair and they were no help. I don't think they should offer them for the new Explorer without redesigning the tilt feature.

It's funny I didn't realize till I read this post that apparently I don't use my headrest either- never noticed what everyone has been saying.

However, when I test drove my new 2012 I did notice the tilt feature so I am going to test it out before I order my new set of DVD headrests- just in case.

Great idea. I'll look into them. Are they available cheaply and easily @ Home Depot? I've not used these before. I'll look locally.

Did you ever try this? I am looking to order these players but the lean-back on these headrests could be a major issue for us.

Anyone tried this ones ?
Found them on ebay, they are supposed to tilt.

hr7koz-motorized.jpg

http://youtu.be/_udAA9k8aFA

or this ones ?

Active-Headrest-Car-DVD-Monitor-HR9P-Autotain-pair.jpg

I just installed these headrest monitors today.

http://www.onfair.com/autotain-dual...reen-car-headrest-monitor-dvd-player-w-cover/

Yes, they tilt a little bit, but not nearly enough. With them tilted all the way forward, they're basically in the same position as the non-tilting ones. I have no doubt that they would offer NO whiplash protection in an accident, which is really unfortunate.

They must have changed the post design, because you no longer have to slip the bigger posts on top of the small posts. Now you remove the smaller posts and screw the larger posts in their place. That seems like a better system so they're no rattling between them. The grooves in the posts are not deep enough to fully engage the height stoppers in the Explorer. As a result, you can't raise the height of the headrests, because they just fall back down. Not a big deal I guess, since they're too far back to be of any use to your head anyway.

One of the reasons I went with this model was that the description says that they have 3 AV inputs. I want to have both headrests connected to each other and have both wired to Sirius Backseat TV, so I needed at least 2 AV inputs. I was disappointed to see that these headrests really only have a single AV input. But they come with a 3 to one AV splitter in the box. The problem is that this splitter has a manual slider switch on it to switch inputs. The AV cables will all be hidden neatly under the seats, so there's no way the kids are going to be able to get to them to slide a manual switch to change inputs. I just have Sirius Backseat TV plugged into them for now, so the kids won't be able to watch the same DVD at the same time. This is another disappointment.

One last disappointment is that the DVD players don't seem to remember where a DVD left off when you turn off the car and turn it back on. This is a real problem. If the kids are watching a DVD on a trip and we stop for lunch or a bathroom break, they would have to search to find where they left off in the movie. This will get old really fast. Not sure if that's by design or there's an option somewhere that I'm missing.

How difficult was it to install Sirius Backseat TV?

What did it cost?

I have the OEM Invision LT Series DVD system and was considering Sirius TV but previously the programming was very limited.

How difficult was it to install Sirius Backseat TV?

What did it cost?

I have the OEM Invision LT Series DVD system and was considering Sirius TV but previously the programming was very limited.

You can get a Sirius Backseat TV tuner for next to nothing. Here's one from an Amazon reseller for $53.74 with a $50 mail-in rebate that brings the total down to $3.74 with free shipping.

http://www.amazon.com/Audiovox-Siri...1342351991&sr=8-1&keywords=sirius+backseat+TV

The subscription costs $7.99 a month. It only has 3 channels, so yes the programming is limited. But Disney Channel, Nickelodeon, and Cartoon Network are enough for my kids. They watch live TV on every trip, which keeps them quiet for hours. It's nice to not have to worry about which DVDs to bring or having to change them en route.

The install was pretty easy. I just put the tuner under the driver's seat and tapped into the same power that I ran for the DVD headrests. My challenge now is to find a good RCA splitter so that I can have it connected to both headrest screens at the same time.

The problem that you'll have with the OEM headrests is that the RCA inputs are right on the front of the units near the screen. That means you'd have to RCA cables hanging out of those and visible. I guess you could just leave the cables under the seat and only plug them in when you need them, but it's not quite as clean.

Well, I just couldn't deal with all the shortcomings of the Autotain units, so I pulled them out and returned them. I bit the bullet and went with the Baton motorized units pictured above. These are the ones:

http://www.onfair.com/dual-baton-bl...st-dvd-monitor-touch-screen-motorized-shield/

They are substantially more expensive than the Autotain, but they really are much MUCH better units. The angle is adjustable enough that you can get them to sit in a position that's pretty darn close to the original Explorer headrests. I couldn't get anywhere close with the Autotains. They also have 2 real inputs that are switchable from the screen and they remember the last position of a DVD even if you remove the disc and put it back in.

Although they're expensive, they're still half the price of the OEM headrest monitors, and I like them a lot better.

Well, I just couldn't deal with all the shortcomings of the Autotain units, so I pulled them out and returned them. I bit the bullet and went with the Baton motorized units pictured above. These are the ones:

http://www.onfair.com/dual-baton-bl...st-dvd-monitor-touch-screen-motorized-shield/

They are substantially more expensive than the Autotain, but they really are much MUCH better units. The angle is adjustable enough that you can get them to sit in a position that's pretty darn close to the original Explorer headrests. I couldn't get anywhere close with the Autotains. They also have 2 real inputs that are switchable from the screen and they remember the last position of a DVD even if you remove the disc and put it back in.

Although they're expensive, they're still half the price of the OEM headrest monitors, and I like them a lot better.

Finally someone got the Batons, please, please, post pictures... lots of them.... specially the tilting feature, I want to see how they look on the EX.
Thank you very much.

You can get a Sirius Backseat TV tuner for next to nothing. Here's one from an Amazon reseller for $53.74 with a $50 mail-in rebate that brings the total down to $3.74 with free shipping.

http://www.amazon.com/Audiovox-Siri...1342351991&sr=8-1&keywords=sirius+backseat+TV

The subscription costs $7.99 a month. It only has 3 channels, so yes the programming is limited. But Disney Channel, Nickelodeon, and Cartoon Network are enough for my kids. They watch live TV on every trip, which keeps them quiet for hours. It's nice to not have to worry about which DVDs to bring or having to change them en route.

The install was pretty easy. I just put the tuner under the driver's seat and tapped into the same power that I ran for the DVD headrests. My challenge now is to find a good RCA splitter so that I can have it connected to both headrest screens at the same time.

The problem that you'll have with the OEM headrests is that the RCA inputs are right on the front of the units near the screen. That means you'd have to RCA cables hanging out of those and visible. I guess you could just leave the cables under the seat and only plug them in when you need them, but it's not quite as clean.

What sort of antenna is required for Sirius Backseat and how did you handle that?

Finally someone got the Batons, please, please, post pictures... lots of them.... specially the tilting feature, I want to see how they look on the EX.
Thank you very much.

I took some pictures after I installed one of them. They're both installed now, but the Ex is going to be in the shop for a couple of weeks, so I can't take more pictures until it comes back. My wife hit a boulder in a parking lot. It tore right through the radiator, A/C condenser, and front stabilizer bar. I'll try to post the pics I have tomorrow.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

What sort of antenna is required for Sirius Backseat and how did you handle that?

They're the same as a regular little satellite radio antenna. The only difference is that there are two if them instead of one. I ran the wires under the trim around to the tailgate, and then under the gasket to get outside. I ended up with an antenna right behind each side rail.

Back