A/C Fail - Fixed | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

A/C Fail - Fixed

Reaction score
City, State
Southwest USA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 Limited (140K miles)
I recently left my 96 Limited in the driveway for about 6 weeks. Before the layover, the A/C was working great. I returned to find the A/C no longer putting out, on one of the hottest days of the year.

Reading this forum assisted me in diagnosing and fixing the problem. I thought that I would attempt to pay you folks back with a detailed description.

Symptoms:
1 - Hot air blowing out of vents (dead giveaway here)
2 - Compressor cycling about every six seconds as opposed to not working at all.

Video of Compressor -

I edited because I had the wrong video link

Many pointed out that if the unit was cycling it was probably low pressure (not enough refrigerant).

I elected to use the Arctic Freeze R-134a. I found this at Advanced Auto Parts in my area for $49.95 + tax. The instructions were very clear and easy to implement.

AFOpened-M.jpg

Never having done this before, I did open the wrong black cap in the engine compartment. I opened the high pressure cap - quickly noticed because the included gauge assembly did not fit on the valve.

Low Pressure side is located on the left side (looking at engine from front) toward the rear. See attached pic.

LoPresValve-M.jpg

I took the preliminary reading without the can of R132a attached and it was low. Shake up the can, connected to the system, and proceeded to charge. For me the system only took a half can to charge to the recommended 38. It would not take any more.

As soon as I started to charge the system, the compressor resumed normal operation and continued to run steady. Disconnected the R132a and cleaned up.

The A/C unit is putting out icicles inside the truck. WooHoo!!! Success.

Hope this helps anyone who is faced with the same problem, and thanks to all of you who I read when I have a problem.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Glad to see an easy fix! Mine has such a bad leak that whole can would be leaked out in a matter of hours. BTW i love your username, that is my nickname.

I had the similiar issue this year but the compressor cycled at much quicker cycle, probably every 2 seconds. I purchased 2 12oz R134a at $7 each at Menards and used a A/C gauge purchased from eBay for $20 as well as a can opener from local parts store for about $5. The capacity of 98 EB is about 30oz. Before adding the freon, the low pressure is cycling between 20 to 39, and after adding 2 cans the low pressure is steady at 35PSI. I think that I can still add another can but stopped there.

It has been two month it still blows cold. A cheap fix.

I recently left my 96 Limited in the driveway for about 6 weeks. Before the layover, the A/C was working great. I returned to find the A/C no longer putting out, on one of the hottest days of the year.

Reading this forum assisted me in diagnosing and fixing the problem. I thought that I would attempt to pay you folks back with a detailed description.

Symptoms:
1 - Hot air blowing out of vents (dead giveaway here)
2 - Compressor cycling about every six seconds as opposed to not working at all.

Video of Compressor -

I edited because I had the wrong video link

Many pointed out that if the unit was cycling it was probably low pressure (not enough refrigerant).

I elected to use the Arctic Freeze R-134a. I found this at Advanced Auto Parts in my area for $49.95 + tax. The instructions were very clear and easy to implement.

AFOpened-M.jpg

Never having done this before, I did open the wrong black cap in the engine compartment. I opened the high pressure cap - quickly noticed because the included gauge assembly did not fit on the valve.

Low Pressure side is located on the left side (looking at engine from front) toward the rear. See attached pic.

LoPresValve-M.jpg

I took the preliminary reading without the can of R132a attached and it was low. Shake up the can, connected to the system, and proceeded to charge. For me the system only took a half can to charge to the recommended 38. It would not take any more.

As soon as I started to charge the system, the compressor resumed normal operation and continued to run steady. Disconnected the R132a and cleaned up.

The A/C unit is putting out icicles inside the truck. WooHoo!!! Success.

Hope this helps anyone who is faced with the same problem, and thanks to all of you who I read when I have a problem.
Good for you. You did the same thing I would do. However, expect a lot of comments telling you how much trouble you are going to have because you did not pull a vacuum on the system. Personally, I have done this same procedure many times over a number of years, without a zingle problem.

Good for you. You did the same thing I would do. However, expect a lot of comments telling you how much trouble you are going to have because you did not pull a vacuum on the system. Personally, I have done this same procedure many times over a number of years, without a zingle problem.

You only need to pull a vacuum if there is no pressure in the system. The vacuum is pulled to remove any moisture in the system, and that only happens if the pressure drops to zero. If the pressure is just low, moisture hasn't been able to get in yet and topping off is just fine.

Back