Normal operating temperature range | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Normal operating temperature range

houtzb

Reaction score
City, State
Fitchburg, MA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2012 Limited 4WD
Am picking up my 2012 X today. Can anyone tell me what the normal operating temperature level on the gauge is? I noticed when I test drove it on Saturday that it was just below the half mark on the gauge. Thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Am picking up my 2012 X today. Can anyone tell me what the normal operating temperature level on the gauge is? I noticed when I test drove it on Saturday that it was just below the half mark on the gauge. Thanks!
I have had mine since March. Even when we had some very hot weeks here, the gauge has never gone above where you indicated. It has always been just below the halfway mark. Should you ever have a problem, one of the first things to check are the cooling fans. Some owners of the 2011 models have had to have them replaced under warranty.
Welcome to the Forum and I hope you enjoy your new Ex. :wavey:

Peter

I wonder if it runs cooler with the tow package?

But even when I towed the boat (4400lbs) and folks with gear. It never...knock on wood, ever went above what you have indicated and its hot muggy weather in Florida most of the time.

The car shouldn't run cooler with tow package. The temp should be controlled by a thermostat. It should simply have more cooling capacity. Running too cool is bad too, and bad on the mpg. ;)

Mine is always just under the halfway point, no matter how hot or cold it is outside. It never varies.

I have no idea if the 2011 explorers are doing this, but I have noticed that many late model vehicles have changed the scale of the gauges. The gauge stays the same (say middle) for 195 to 210 degrees and once you get above what they consider normal, then they move the needle.

As I understand it, its to placate people who overly watch gauges and complain that the gauge is reading different from what they think it should be reading. They have been doing this for oil pressure gauges for years.. They read "normal" until it reaches a really unsafe level..

~Mark

I have no idea if the 2011 explorers are doing this, but I have noticed that many late model vehicles have changed the scale of the gauges. The gauge stays the same (say middle) for 195 to 210 degrees and once you get above what they consider normal, then they move the needle.

As I understand it, its to placate people who overly watch gauges and complain that the gauge is reading different from what they think it should be reading. They have been doing this for oil pressure gauges for years.. They read "normal" until it reaches a really unsafe level..

~Mark

I have heard this rumor too. A few stupid people complaining that their temperature gauge rises a couple of mm when they climb a mountain pass and we all have to get punished.

BMW has been buffering water temp gauges since the early 90's. My 2006 BMW doesn't even have a temp gauge! Many people would be surprised to see how much running the a/c vs not has an affect on water temp.

Ford's temp ranges are quite large for the needle to stay at the normal operating area and have been doing it for quite some time.

I have an aftermarket tranny and coolant gauge for my F250 so I don't have to use Ford's lie-o-meter. Normal tranny temps are around 140*, I show normal operating temp on the dashboard when the tranny isn't even at 100*.

With the coolant, normal temps are 195*.. I've seen as high as 224* without the temp gauge budging a hair..

Because of such a large range, this is why when the temp gauge climbs up, it climbs very quickly because it has already gone up quite a bit in temp without telling you.

I just bought a 2013 and would like to drop the temp to 180 ..... ive heard all the blah blah blah from the wannabe engineers on the high temp thing,,,,

i have had ALL my cars for the past 20yrs on low temp therms and reprogrammed for 170 .... and guess what ??????????

no AC problems in the summer
hoses all live til after 140k miles
no issues with heat in winter including snow
no radiator failures
no transmission failures.......

i just want to know if anyone on the forum knows if there is a program out yet for late model explorers......????
fuel mileage is the same (any degradation would be outweighed by longevity of items mentioned above)

thanks
Rick

Miami

I just bought a 2013 and would like to drop the temp to 180 ..... ive heard all the blah blah blah from the wannabe engineers on the high temp thing,,,,

i have had ALL my cars for the past 20yrs on low temp therms and reprogrammed for 170 .... and guess what ??????????

no AC problems in the summer
hoses all live til after 140k miles
no issues with heat in winter including snow
no radiator failures
no transmission failures.......

i just want to know if anyone on the forum knows if there is a program out yet for late model explorers......????
fuel mileage is the same (any degradation would be outweighed by longevity of items mentioned above)

thanks
Rick

Miami
Welcome to the Forum rnengnr.:wavey:
I can't comment on whether it is a good thing to do or not. All I can say is that I've been driving for almost 50 years and have not had any of the failures you listed.
Also I don't know if changing it now would affect the warranty if something was to go wrong.
Again, welcome aboard Rick and happy motoring. :thumbsup:

Peter

A quick read about it in the owner's manual will answer your question....

A quick read about it in the owner's manual will answer your question....
I'm not sure if you realized that you replied to an almost year old post. At that time the OP did not have an Explorer but was only test driving them.

Peter

Oops. Thanx for pointing that out

Back