Kerts Project 1978 Glastron CVX16 | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Kerts Project 1978 Glastron CVX16

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Must feel great to get it on the water. Congrats.

Really nice... :thumbsup:

That's a lot of work, for sure... Once you get the alt figured out and done, I'm sure you'll have a killer summer with the Glas!

Wow, great work. Very sharp looking boat. Looks like you will have a summer of fun ahead of you with that thing.

Thanks guys, it was a lot of work. I'm not sure I would do it again unless I was paid. (although the upholsterer did offer me a fiberglassing job on the spot when I dropped the boat off and showed some pictures of what it looked like before) :D I'm waiting to see what kind of speed I can hit when the boat has less people in it. The 50mph was with full tanks of fuel and 4 adults...

I got invited to a Classic Glastron meet and greet/ beach show this weekend I'm planning on going to if my replacement alternator gets here in time also.

Pictures from the Classic Glastron Boats on the beach @ lake Rathbun. About 15 Glastrons showed up from 5 states.

Attachments

• cg1.jpg
    cg1.jpg
    66.6 KB · Views: 916
  • cg2.jpg
    cg2.jpg
    38.8 KB · Views: 1,149
  • gc3.jpg
    gc3.jpg
    53.2 KB · Views: 1,021

Very nice indeed. love to see a video taken from inside as zips along.

I'll get a video up when I settle on a prop pitch. Right now I'm only hitting 4000 rpm WOT and I think the out-drive can handle a little more RPM (I know the 302 should be able to..)

Interesting fact of the day. The merc 188 (Ford 302) had 351 heads and firing order from the factory.

I still have some prop testing to do, but right now it tops out at 55mph at 4000 RPMs. It feels light, but stable at that speed. This is a 16ft and not a lot of people have pushed this model past 60mph. The 18 foot models of this boat can handle 70+MPH though.

I tried getting a video, bit it was a little rough out, so all I got was this video when the wife was driving. This is at about 30mph. The video is bad, but the banter is a little funny...

If you don't mind me asking, what did you pay for the glastron when you first got it.

Haha, too much after I tore into the mechanics of it. I payed $500 for the Glastron with trailer. I did buy another Glastron parts boat that was an outboard model with no motor that was torn up about as bad as this one with no trailer for $100. I took the windshield and swim ladder off it and gave it away on craigslist to get it out of the back yard because I think these boats are too cool to take to the junk yard like I did with the Larson I took the motor and outdrive out of.

Phenomenal restoration! My first thought was--I think I've seen 007 drive one of these. Upon reading the first page, looks like it was so!

Thanks for the complements! I'm seriously considering building up the motor a bit more... anyone want to donate some 347 stroker parts to the cause? :D

:thumbsup:sorry i dont have any 347 parts but i do have to say what a great job you did on that thing man that is nice:thumbsup:

Nice:thumbsup

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thanks for the complements! I'm seriously considering building up the motor a bit more... anyone want to donate some 347 stroker parts to the cause? :D

Well, not going for a stroker, but I have most of my parts purchased I need on my list before this years boating season...

The List

Aluminum Edelbrock Performer RPM heads
aluminum water pump
Aluminum timing cover
marine starter
Carter marine fuel pump
Edelbrock RPM copy aluminum intake
1.6 roller rockers
Lunati 10350701 cam and lifters
and a prayer that the outdrive holds together :D

Stay tuned for the build :salute:

Back