MPG on new Explorer body style | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

MPG on new Explorer body style

kjb912

Reaction score
City, State
FL
The new Explorers (2011 -2013 model years) claim EPA MPG estimates of 17 city to 25 highway. I test drove a brand new one recently for approximately 14 miles at relatively low speed and on flat terrain. Not a lot of stop-and-go either. It only averaged about 15 mpg. Before I buy, I'd appreciate hearing what kind of mpg some of you new Explorer owners are getting.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I moved your thread to our Stock 2011+ forum.

Welcome to the site:chug:

We have a 2011 Ex Limited with about 13,000 miles. MPG on a recent trip from NC to MI and back we averaged almost 23. That includes some time driving through the mountains. I'm usually a little heavy on the throttle, most of the trip the cruise was set around 79mph. Hope this helps.

My average MPG is right around 20 right now. This includes a trip to Dallas (4.5 hrs away) and back. I think there's around 2,000 miles on it at this point. I will say, though, that my MPG didn't increase substantially during the trip to Dallas...maybe that's because ours is an AWD model.

my average is around 19 (city + highway) and on the highway alone I get around 22-23. XLT AWD here.

Just as an fyi, a cold engine will get worst fuel economy. Granted it should have fully warmed up by 2 or 3 and the tranny should be warm by 10.

We have 1700 miles on out limited and are averaging 21

The new Explorers (2011 -2013 model years) claim EPA MPG estimates of 17 city to 25 highway. I test drove a brand new one recently for approximately 14 miles at relatively low speed and on flat terrain. Not a lot of stop-and-go either. It only averaged about 15 mpg. Before I buy, I'd appreciate hearing what kind of mpg some of you new Explorer owners are getting.
Welcome to the Forum kjb912. :wavey:
I won't throw my figures out because my driving usually consists of many short trips around town and then there is all that conversion to do.
The best I ever did though was about 34 mpg (Imp) at 50 mph for 10 miles with the cruise control on. Explorers here are advertised as being able to get 23 city and 32 hwy for AWD.
Mileage figures on new vehicles should improve slightly as well when you get some miles on the engine.

Peter

The problem w/ looking at the MPG on a test driven Explorer is that unless you reset it when you got in, it will have time idling, time driven by others who may have lead footed it, etc.

The other issue w/ it is that the transmission has adaptive learning, and until it has been trained will be very inefficient with up/down shifts. It takes a couple hundred miles of "learning".

It also needs to learn it's idle and fuel trim strategies, which will also happen over time, or you can train it using the steps in the manual.

In the 2011 V6 FWD we average about 23.5 on a 400 mile trip that is mostly flat freeway with some uphill/downhill. I average about 20-21 on my daily commute which is half freeway, half city (almost exactly 50%)

I average between 17.7 and 18.3 every day, lots of stop and go with hills and a very heavy foot.

24-25 for an AWD under real driving conditions. (65-70) MPH. 17-18 in mixed city driving.

Don't believe numbers above this...they simply aren't reflective of normal conditions...period.

I have 2013 xlt and when I pay attention I run 21.4 mpg on city streets with traffic. When I am not paying attention I average 19 to 20 in the same conditions.

Drive on the highway I avg 25 to 26 with the cruise control on.

My best has been 32 mpg hand calculated to verify it as spot on with the computer. Reason was because I had a 40 mph breeze on the back. Return trip was 18.5.

Most Happy

I have 20500 miles on my 2012 XLT AWD. My current computer displayed mpg is 23.6, and for the last 10800 miles (since I put my summer (OEM) tires back on, which by the way are at 46 psi) I am averaging 24.1 (trip b).

My commute to work is 90 miles total (to and from), mostly all highway using cruise control at 70 mph and I'm easy on the throttle from stops.

YMMV,
Jeff

With my 2012 AWD, doing around 65mph on a relatively flat highway gets me around 25-26mpg or slightly more. With short trips, hills, stop-and-go, and/or a cold engine, it's easily seeing low teens or maybe worse.

The new Explorers (2011 -2013 model years) claim EPA MPG estimates of 17 city to 25 highway. I test drove a brand new one recently for approximately 14 miles at relatively low speed and on flat terrain. Not a lot of stop-and-go either. It only averaged about 15 mpg...
Welcome to the forum, kjb912! :D The following can be found in the 2013MY Explorer Owner Guide 1st Printing on page 216:

“Calculating fuel economy
Do not measure fuel economy during the first 1,000 miles (1,600 km) of driving (this is your engine’s break-in period); a more accurate measurement is obtained after 2,000 miles–3,000 miles (3,200 km–4,800 km). Also, fuel expense, frequency of fill-ups or fuel gauge readings are not accurate ways to measure fuel economy.”

If you don’t have it yet, grab a digital copy of the Owner Guide here:

http://Owner.Ford.com/servlet/ContentServer?pagename=Owner/Page/OwnerGuidePage

There’s no need to run like you stole something; it’s 100% free! :D

Just as an fyi, a cold engine will get worst fuel economy. Granted it should have fully warmed up by 2 or 3 and the tranny should be warm by 10.
...Mileage figures on new vehicles should improve slightly as well when you get some miles on the engine...
...The other issue w/ it is that the transmission has adaptive learning, and until it has been trained will be very inefficient with up/down shifts. It takes a couple hundred miles of "learning"...
colintrax, Peter, & 13Sport,

Thanks for helping out with this, guys. You can also use the tips from page 296 of the 2013MY Explorer Owner Guide 1st Printing for better fuel economy. :thumbsup:

...MPG on a recent trip from NC to MI and back we averaged almost 23...
My average MPG is right around 20 right now...
my average is around 19 (city + highway) and on the highway alone I get around 22-23. XLT AWD here.
We have 1700 miles on out limited and are averaging 21
I average between 17.7 and 18.3 every day, lots of stop and go with hills and a very heavy foot.
24-25 for an AWD under real driving conditions. (65-70) MPH. 17-18 in mixed city driving...
I'm getting 21 on fwd limited
...Drive on the highway I avg 25 to 26 with the cruise control on...
...My current computer displayed mpg is 23.6, and for the last 10800 miles (since I put my summer (OEM) tires back on, which by the way are at 46 psi) I am averaging 24.1 (trip b)...
With my 2012 AWD, doing around 65mph on a relatively flat highway gets me around 25-26mpg or slightly more...
lexrid, OzzieMike, Joeymustang, msmccargar, harlenm, 182RG, phareous, Kjeffery, Jeff, & tiresmoke,

I love seeing the various fuel economy progresses! I appreciate everyone taking the time to share. :)

You can show pride for your ride with the “Explorer” badge:

badge20.png

http://Social.Ford.com/grab-a-badge/Explorer

Cory

Our '11 Limited has 18,000 miles on it and an average of 18.6 mpg using mid- or high-grade fuel, relatively flat area, usually light-footed driving. We live in a small town outside a larger city so most of my trips are either short (less than 4 miles round trip, just a couple of potential stops each way, 25 mph speed limit) or 8 miles of almost flat 45/55mph country roads with no stops. Sometimes I am on the Interstate at 75mph for a few miles and then into the city driving.

Ford labelled this vehicle as 17/23 city/highway and I average 18.6 My last vehicle, a 2001 X5, was rated at 14/19 and I have averaged 19.4 with the same driving style and routine.

I have a 2013 FWD had it for 2.5 ish weeks. I reset one of the trips when I last fueled and I'm averaging 22.3. I just drive to and from work, so it's a mix of city and highway.

I think the number will fluctuate based on peoples driving habits.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have a 2013 FWD had it for 2.5 ish weeks. I reset one of the trips when I last fueled and I'm averaging 22.3. I just drive to and from work, so it's a mix of city and highway.

I think the number will fluctuate based on peoples driving habits.
Hi spar, welcome to the Forum. :wavey:
Hope you enjoy your new Explorer. Happy motoring.

Peter

Back