• Register Today It's free!

Intermediate Steering Shaft...

SeaMac324

Reaction score
City, State
Jupiter, FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994, Explorer XLT 2WD
Was wondering if anyone here has had any luck finding one of these? The Ford part number is F3TZ3B676-A, trying to locate one has proven fruitless. The one I have is beginning to show signs of dry rot and will eventually lead to unwanted steering play.

If no one knows where to find one, has any one attempted to repair one? It seems Dorman HELP makes a rag joint which could possibly be disassembled then modified to work on the intermediate shaft which actually has 2 rag joints along with 2 universal joints.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I take it you need both the shaft and the rag joint?

..Where did you get the part number from and have you looked on our "Forum Vendors" sites??

The intermediate shaft and "rag joints" are technically all in one assembly. The rag joints are molded rubber dampers riveted to and as part of the 2 universal joint which comprise the shaft itself. I don't believe it will be fun or easy to modify a standard rag joint to work. However if someone here has done so I would like to know and see some photos of the end result.

The part number was provided by a friend who works at the local Ford dealership and is for the complete assembly which is also now an obsolete part for Ford. If I am unable to come up with a "fix" I will be searching junk yards for a replacement.

..The number was no good on my end either so I figured it was an old one...

..JY is your best bet but you could look closely at the early 91 Explorers (pre-5/91) and see what they used for the steering..;)

..You could always resolve the issue with a shaft from Flaming River..;)
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=347868

Thanks, I know about Flaming River and have spoken to them about it. For around $500 they will custom make me one.....not gonna happen. I spent hours on the phone and thought I had located the last NOS one in the Ford system in St. Thomas, US Virgin Islands only to have it turn out to be an empty box on the shelf, oh well. During my Ford friend's search he found that 1991-1994 Rangers and Explorers use the same part number. Who is JY? I figure since the 1st Gen is getting long in the tooth someone should come up with a fix, surely it would appear profitable. When they go bad your steering goes to $#!^ pretty quick.

..Junk yard..:)

BTW...91 X's are similar but pre 5/91, they had a lot of unique parts..and if you individually look up each part in that previous mentioned thread you can find that kit for less than $280 shipped with no more worries of a rag joint and all brand spanking new parts..;)

You could also contact Borgenson..:dunno:
http://www.borgeson.com/xcart/catalog/Ford_Truck_197004-orderby_0-p-1-c-46.html

I'm not sure what you mean by this. The intermediate shaft is a complete assembly with no serviceable parts -or so Ford had intended it that way- in all the exploded views I saw at the Ford dealership where I have a friend who works in the parts department there is only ONE part number for the assembly. I checked the link you provided, they're just like Flaming River, they will gladly make a custom piece for oh....around $500. Were you able to come up with valid part numbers for a pre 5/91's intermediate steering shaft?
BTW...91 X's are similar but pre 5/91, they had a lot of unique parts..and if you individually look up each part in that previous mentioned thread you can find that kit for less than $280 shipped with no more worries of a rag joint and all brand spanking new parts

..I'm curious, does yours looks like the one in this thread..:dunno:
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2099762
attachment.php

..or does it look like the one in this diagram #14..
http://southbayfordparts.com/parts/...leid=1119631&diagram=MF91082&diagramCallOut=6

MF91082.gif

...For years the rag joint on Ford trucks have been riveted and the replacement rag joint just bolts in it's place..

..Thru Ford you have to order one number to receive both parts and that was the only way they would sell it if you just wanted the rag joint...Like needing just an "O" ring for a speed sensor you would need to buy the whole Speed sensor from Ford to get just the "O" ring..

..Dorman parts which are the "Help" section parts have been used to fix this by several members of this Forum..;)

Edit:..BTW..Both FR and Borgenson can be done for under $280...I believe that is still cheaper than an OEM replacement from Ford if it were not discontinued..

The photo, that's it. So, you can just drill out the rivets and bolt a Dorman HELP rag joint in its place? The reason I turned down the idea of the HELP product was that fact that there are two rubber bumps -clearly seen in the photo- on each of the rubber discs for a total of four bumps, which comprise the "rag joint' component of the assembly. The HELP product is simply a flat disc. How do you accommodate for that?

As for the Ford price, the Ford dealership in St. Thomas, US Virgin Islands quoted me $116 plus $30 for shipping to Florida. That would have worked out fantastic if what showed in their system hadn't been an empty box on the shelf.

..I would do some searching here on the Forum first before tackling the problem..

You might also want to contact user "BWTGUY" as I think he was working on gathering parts for this exact fix..

..JY is your best bet but you could look closely at the early 91 Explorers (pre-5/91) and see what they used for the steering..;)

Why didnt you just say they use 2 U-joints instead of a U-joint and rag joint?

..Because I didn't have a picture to prove it..Do you..:p:

..I've been waiting for you to chime in and save me a trip to the X..:D

..Because I didn't have a picture to prove it..Do you..:p:

..I've been waiting for you to chime in and save me a trip to the X..:D

Nope, I dont have a pic, but I do have a dual U-joint steering shaft somewhere in my garage.

I didnt know anyone else knew they existed. :thumbsup:

I told TBars that I was rebuilding the rag joints in my 92 X. I did so and they looked great. Problem was the aforesaid rubber bumps. I used hard rubber "O" rings and bolted the rag joint/rubber O rings into the lower intermediate steering shaft (Ford named, not me). Problem was, I could not find a rubber hard as the original. The horrendous slop that resulted in my steering wheel having 40+ degrees of motion before the front wheels followed. It was so bad my wife refused to ride with me until I fixed it. I went to pick-Ur-part on three successive weekends and eventually found a 93 X with a good lower intermediate shaft. It absolutely cured the steering slop and the X drives as well as my wife's Honda Civic (except when in 4-wheel drive). If I need to replace it in a few years, Flaming River is the way I'll go. Strangely enough I discovered that the 91 X's had a u-joint on the top of the lower intermediate steering shaft and a rag joint at the bottom. A local guy that is a retired ford engineer says the joint change from u-joint to rag joints at both ends saved ford $100 per assembly so money is the reason for the change.

..Shhh..:shifty_ey ....Don't let everyone know the awesome secrets of the 91 X..:D

Here's a potential solution,

I have not done this yet but I need a solution soon as well.

I will post up my results when done, but anyone is welcome to have a go.

Here it is:

1989-95 Jeep XJ shaft...modified (XJ's are the cherokee's btw)

Double "D's" both ends: check

U-joints: check

Shaft a little to long: cut to fit at the slider.

JKSHAFT2_zps8b43da8a.jpg

I've seen the xj one done but not in quite a while however there was a piece by piece build done from otc parts here within the last couple years.

I will be looking forward to your xj shaft write up as mine is heading south fast and ill need to fix it by this summer..:hammer:

..Bill...Any updates on your project?

How much needs to be cut off the XJ shaft to fit a stock first gen explorer?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back