Warranty Repair Issues -Help with Code P0420 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Warranty Repair Issues -Help with Code P0420

carbonmark

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2007 Explorer EB V8
Help with Code P0420 - 2007 Explorer (fixed)

I have a 2007 Explorer EB that has a check engine code p0420 showing. I believe the issue is with the catylitic converter but I am not sure. I have talked to the Ford dealership and was told the warranty was expired.

The part itself cost $1300 from Ford so any ideas on other fixes?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Issue Resolved. After doing some more online research I found out that the Emissions Defect Warranty covers this vehicle for up to 8 years or 80,000 miles. Oddly enough, I talked to 2 different dealerships and Ford HQ customer service and none of the people were aware of this warranty. Luckily, after finding the info online, a tech at the service shop was able to help me. I will now be getting the cat put on at no cost.

For any others that may find this thread looking for some direction, here is what I learned in the process.

1) P0420 - the code by itself will most likely reference a bad cat. There is also a chance it is an O2 sensor, vacuum leak, or manifold issue I believe. A good way to see if it is an O2 sensor is to switch the sensors, clear the code, and see if it comes up on the opposite side. If it stays on the same side then the sensor is not the problem.

2) The cat is a very expensive piece. I personally would have been more likely to replace the exhause with aftermarket cats and MIL eliminators had it not been for the warranty coverage.

3) Cleaning the cat might be an option. Do some searches online about cleaning the cat. I was able to find a process that used hot water and a chemical in the bathtub. Some people had success with this. It would be worth a shot if you are trying to save the money.

Hopefully this helps someone in the future.

cali emission is 8/80 all other is 7/70. just a fyi.

That is not my understanding. 8/80 should be everywhere. For instance, I am in Kansas.

That is not my understanding. 8/80 should be everywhere. For instance, I am in Kansas.

I think you are correct. The US Federal emmissions warranty requires Ford to cover Catalytic Converters for 8 years or 80,000 miles (whichever comes first). The California emmissions warranty requires Ford to cover catalytic converters for 7 years or 70,000 miles (whichever comes first).

Here is the reference site for Ford owner's manual, maintenance and warranty information: Dead Link Removed

one more time, if the vehicle is build with cali emmision its 8/80 if its federal 7/70.

does not mean you have to be in cali to get 8/80 it means it was built to cali emmisions.

your understanding is wrong. its based on the car not location.

if it was a toyota it would be based on location.

I see what you are saying now. What I meant to notate in the first post was that the 2007 explorer is covered, not to confuse that with all makes and models.

I see what you are saying now. What I meant to notate in the first post was that the 2007 explorer is covered, not to confuse that with all makes and models.

all vehicles, under 7500 lbs or 8500 lbs emissions coverage is 7/70 or 8/80
the same way restraint is 5/50 or 6/60.

alot of this are still in warranty after the 3/36.

Back