How to: - Replace Front Blend Door Actuator in 3rd Gen Ex. | Page 19 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How to: Replace Front Blend Door Actuator in 3rd Gen Ex.

Prefix for threads which are instructional.
Is there a blend door actuator for the rear air? When I flip my rear air to cold it has the same clicking sound as the front did but I'm hearing it from the rear.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hi. Instead of cutting the dash I removed the center control panel. It just snaps out and removed the plugin wires. you can see and reach the the screws with a 8mm ratchet wrinch. The actuator then comes out from where the control panel was. No cutting involved. It took me about 50mins to change.

Hi. Instead of cutting the dash I removed the center control panel. It just snaps out and removed the plugin wires. you can see and reach the the screws with a 8mm ratchet wrinch. The actuator then comes out from where the control panel was. No cutting involved. It took me about 50mins to change.

That's a great idea!!!

Blender Door Replacement

Thanks for the instructions- they are the best I have seen. The replacement took me about 2.5 hours and saved me over $500. Glad to see great stuff from people who are from the big "W".

Thanks for the instructions- they are the best I have seen. The replacement took me about 2.5 hours and saved me over $500. Glad to see great stuff from people who are from the big "W".

Glad I could help out!! :biggthump

I have a 2003 Limited with dual zone electronic climate control.

For a couple years now, in the winter, this has been happening: The truck has been driven and is warm, blowing hot air. It is then parked until it is cold-soaked (i.e. overnight). When the truck is started, the heating system, which was running, blowing hot air when the truck was last shut off, wants to shut off because it is blowing cold air until the engine warms up. So when the truck is first started up, the heating system makes a kind of groaning noise for a second or so.

I can get it to make this noise as well if I switch it rapidly from heat to cold or back.

Click here: Groaning sound made when temperature changed - opening and closing twice

This past summer, I noticed that my truck wasn't getting very cold when the A/C was on. My wife however, was freezing. Investigating, I discovered that changing the temperature of the heating system from low to high, the passenger side would change from blowing icy cold air to super hot air - while the driver's side would change from blowing warm air to warmer air. I can't get extreme temperatures out of the driver's side like I can out of the passenger side.

So...the question is, is this caused by a blend door actuator? A blend door? What's the most likely suspect? And how tough is it to fix?

This tutorial is for the manual heating system blend door actuator, but I'm pretty sure the dual-zone climate control will be different, as there will be two different blend doors (one for each side) - but I could be wrong about this.

My Haynes manual is less than worthless when it comes to this (no surprise there). So any help would be greatly appreciated.

Well I tore into my 2003 Limited this past weekend. I ordered two Dorman 604-207 blend door actuators from Rock Auto, which were apparently direct replacements for the actuators in my truck. The Dorman units looked almost identical, with the same shafts, electrical sockets, screw holes and dimensions.

I pulled the center console out, the dash cover under the steering wheel, radio bezel, left center dash support brace and the plastic duct supplying air to the driver's footwell. I could just make out the old actuator, held in place with three screws. I spent half an hour or so upside down with my head in the footwell getting the screws out, disconnected the wire, and removed the old actuator through the bezel opening.

At this point I tried manually moving the driver's side blend door by rotating the splined hole that the actuator shaft fits into. The blend door moved smoothly and fully from heat to cool. I confirmed this by watching it with a mirror through the dash outlets.

I maneuvered the new actuator in through the same opening, got it positioned, screwed in the bottom two screws (I decided two were enough, as the top third one was next to impossible to get started), and hooked up the wire. I then turned it on...and nothing. Whereas I could barely get the old actuator to switch between warm and cool (let alone hot and cold), this one didn't move the blend door at ALL. I ran the diagnostic on the climate control, and it showed a code B2266, "Driver side blend door failure or short". Crap. I should have tested the thing before I installed it.

I got back into the footwell and removed the Dorman actuator. I got the other actuator that I had received from RockAuto and plugged it into the wire, and tried again. Same thing: Code B2266. So then I tried plugging the original (noisy) actuator into the wire. It worked fine.

I said some bad words directed at Rock Auto and Dorman, then headed up to the local Napa, just in case they had some actuators on hand (it was Sunday). They didn't, but said they had some at a local warehouse, and could have it there for me by Monday afternoon.

I went back home, and pried open the original (noisy, bad) actuator. There was nothing obviously wrong with it - nothing broken. I packed the thing full of lithium grease, put it back together, and installed it, to see if it made any difference.

It did! The creaking noise was gone, and the actuator moved the blend door through its entire travel. I could now select between cool (not cold) and HOT air. Watching the blend door through the dash vent, I could see it was now moving through its entire travel. I reassembled the driver's side of the dash, and pulled the passenger's side apart. Looking at the passenger side actuator, it was even more inaccessible than the driver's side. I REALLY didn't want to spend hours getting that actuator out. I then had an idea.

I got a drill and drilled a small (about 2mm) hole in the side of the actuator. I then put a needle adapter on the end of my grease gun, stuck the end of the needle through the hole, and pumped a bunch of lithium grease into the actuator. I then took a soldering iron and melted the hole closed, so grease couldn't leak out. I tried operating the passenger's side control, and sure enough the creaking noise was now gone from that side as well, and the blend door worked completely.

At this point I was STILL getting warmer air from the driver's side than the passenger's side when set to cool, so I hooked up my manifold gauges to the A/C and realized the pressure (both high side and low side) was down. I added about 8 oz of coolant, and that brought the pressures back within specifications. Now the driver's side was just as cool as the passenger's side, and overall the A/C was working much better.

I put everything back together, boxed up the crappy Dorman actuators to send back to Rock Auto, and called it a day.

Hope this helps someone else who may be encountering the same problems.

I have a slightly different problem, but it may be the same part. I only have heat. Full heat.no matter where I put the selector. No clicking. No motor sound.nothing. If I get the actuator off is there a way to test it or the control knob?

I've got a broken actuator lever on the balance door... I can see it from the passenger floor looking up into behind the control panel and looking for any good ideas on how to fix it. I had the same thing happen on the fresh air intake control lever under the glove box and fabricated up sheet metal cover the fit around the door acutator arm and drilled a lot of small holes in the plastic arm on both sides of the break and mixed up some JB Weld and bonded it all together with the sheet metal brace... been working now for over a year, but this other lever is hard to get to... Any ideas??

I think the actuator is my issue. I hear a clicking when I try to turn on my air OR heat. However, I have the automatic temperature in my '96 Explorer Ltd. I watched a video on 1aauto and think my actuator may be located behind the glove compartment.

All I know is the GA heat sucks with no air. I've had the compressor looked at and it "charged". This is the only thing I think could be the problem. The estimate for the work + part at a Ford dealer is $750...

I skimmed this thread and didn't see any reference to this, so I figured I'd ask. I have an eddie bauer that I'm fixing up, but it doesn't have the dial, it has push buttons. It's a 97, so it might not follow the same rules as the 3rd gens, but if so, anyone know if it's just as simple as putting temp to it's lowest possible setting?

I wanted to take a second and thank Rondo for taking the time to do this write up. This job was simple thanks to you. I owe you a case of beer next time you pass through Joliet, Illinois!

This job took me just over an hour, and I have never done one of these on an Explorer before (I have an 04 XLT). I was also able to remove and install the actuators WITHOUT HACKING UP THE DASH BOARD!

A little patience goes a long way....

Thanks again!

I wanted to take a second and thank Rondo for taking the time to do this write up. This job was simple thanks to you. I owe you a case of beer next time you pass through Joliet, Illinois!

This job took me just over an hour, and I have never done one of these on an Explorer before (I have an 04 XLT). I was also able to remove and install the actuators WITHOUT HACKING UP THE DASH BOARD!

A little patience goes a long way....

Thanks again!

Your'e welcome. Nicely done. :D:thumbsup:

Dual EATC

Did anyone ever replace the passenger side actuator? I can't find anything on it.

Did anyone ever replace the passenger side actuator? I can't find anything on it.

I believe there are some that have done the passenger side actuator. I will look for threads and check my shop manuals when I get home tonight.

I believe there are some that have done the passenger side actuator. I will look for threads and check my shop manuals when I get home tonight.

Any luck on this BigRondo? I appreciate your efforts

Sorry, I forgot. I will check today!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Excellent write up!

I had to replace my blend door actuator today. I've been needing to do it for many months, but since I didn't need the heat in the summer, I didn't worry about it. It's been getting pretty cold lately, and the wife wasn't happy that her car had no heat. I bought the part about a month ago off of Ebay for about $60. Finally got a free day today, and was able to work on the car. Only took 1.5 hours to do, and I didn't have to cut the dashboard. I managed to get it out and back in without the cutting. Everything in this write up matched perfect. My car only had a few differences where my bolts were 10mm instead of 8mm listed in the write up. Thanks for saving me money!!

Back