Camping/Living Mods for '95 Explorer | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Camping/Living Mods for '95 Explorer

austingw

Reaction score
City, State
Austin, TX
Year, Model & Trim Level
1995 Ford Explorer XLT
Hey y'all, I'm looking to camp/live out of my explorer for a while and have some ideas for mods I can do to make things more comfortable, anyone else done something like this? Thinking of building a platform that stretches from the tailgate to the front seats, possibly taking out the back seats? Don't know yet. I'm a rock climber so I have a a lot of gear I need to pack and thinking this will be the best to get the maximum amount of space.
If any has done something like this please shoot me some ideas, pictures, suggestions, etc... That'd be awesome!

Thanks!
Austin

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

hmm i have seen several threads on this kind of subject but cant seem to find the one post im thinking about. but basically its a box like this that extends over the back seats when folded down. so it takes up the whole back
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=216500
then some sort of sleeper mat on top. just do a search on cargo boxes and it should come up

I myself have been wanting to get the roof top tent, and currently building a hitch plug in toilet seat...

Been looking for a good thread for a top tent. Land rovers and range rovers have plenty but finding a custom one for an explorer would be worth reading

I could only imagine from all the different designs ive come across that it would simply come down to the dimensions you could except on your roof. The back tents kinda neat but a roof top style would keep you safe if you sleep through a washout (done that) and any wild animals, on top of having a nice canopy or mini screen room. Also it just unfolds and pops up and collapses just as easy

I myself have been wanting to get the roof top tent, and currently building a hitch plug in toilet seat...

If you want to find out who makes good RTTs, go over to ExpeditionPortal.com. Its a good forum for that kind of stuff.

I could only imagine from all the different designs ive come across that it would simply come down to the dimensions you could except on your roof. The back tents kinda neat but a roof top style would keep you safe if you sleep through a washout (done that) and any wild animals, on top of having a nice canopy or mini screen room. Also it just unfolds and pops up and collapses just as easy

good points... i suppose i could of used a top tent when i went camping on the delaware water gap during hurricane andrew a few years back :D

I am a climber also, and have spent a good many nights in the back of my rig. Only thing I would like different is more control of the stock interior lighting. I prefer fresh cold night air, so the liftgate is raised, and for one hour all of the interior lights are on, until the power saver shuts them down. Unless of course I open another door, then the lights are on again. Tapping in a switch that would kill the interior lights would be a good thing to have.

I am a climber also, and have spent a good many nights in the back of my rig. Only thing I would like different is more control of the stock interior lighting. I prefer fresh cold night air, so the liftgate is raised, and for one hour all of the interior lights are on, until the power saver shuts them down. Unless of course I open another door, then the lights are on again. Tapping in a switch that would kill the interior lights would be a good thing to have.

I leave my hatch glass open all the time, try opening the grass and then push the clasp closed. That will trick the truck into thinking the glass is closed = no more interior light on.

Why not roll down the windows instead?

Yes, windows are down.

I've been in the same situation; its just not the same unless the tail gate is open..

We were in the rear so we just covered up the light with a credit card til they turned off. But it would be nice to have the option via a switch!

Does no one use the dimmer swith to turn the light off??

That still leaves the door ajar light on while I'm driving with the glass open.

Hmmm thats wierd when i turn my switch all the way down my lights are all off with the back open. idk what the lights do while im driving though never had the back open and driving

Normally your not drivin with the glass open while your also back there sleepin lol so the door ajar light shouldnt be an issue :D

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Mine is a 97 the switch does not have that feature to kill the lights via dimmer.

Back