Inconsistent vibration after new tires | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Inconsistent vibration after new tires

jaydez

Reaction score
City, State
Hartford County, CT
Year, Model & Trim Level
2005 XLT V6 4x4
Back in November i bought a set of Nitto Terra Grapplers in 265/70R17. Since then I have had a vibration in the steering wheel that comes and goes. Its always at highway speeds of over 65 MPH. The shop that installed them already rechecked the balancing and it was fine. I watched the machine to make sure.

It is worse over brand new pavement or smooth pavement and around turns. I checked the wheels and there is no play in the bearings that I can feel. I looked at the inside of the tires and and looks like the one on the passenger side had hit the top of the spindle more than once. Could I have a bad bearing that I cant get any play out of by hand? The drivers side looks like it had hit the spindle once or twice as well, but no were near as bad as the passenger side.

Anyone have any suggestions on what else to check?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back in November i bought a set of Nitto Terra Grapplers in 265/70R17. Since then I have had a vibration in the steering wheel that comes and goes. Its always at highway speeds of over 65 MPH. The shop that installed them already rechecked the balancing and it was fine. I watched the machine to make sure.

It is worse over brand new pavement or smooth pavement and around turns. I checked the wheels and there is no play in the bearings that I can feel. I looked at the inside of the tires and and looks like the one on the passenger side had hit the top of the spindle more than once. Could I have a bad bearing that I cant get any play out of by hand? The drivers side looks like it had hit the spindle once or twice as well, but no were near as bad as the passenger side.

Anyone have any suggestions on what else to check?

I'm no mechanic, but I didn't even realize that bad bearings would cause play in the wheel. I know ball joints would. I thought bearings just got noisy when they start to get bad. The inconsistent vibration you're describing also sounds like a ball joint (to me). Again, I'm no mechanic.

Don't think I can be much help, but I have a very similar issue. I have an 05 with 65k miles. Bought it in October last year and it already had 20" wheels with new Toyo Proxes ST 2's on them. It had a vibration I thought was balance, but it definitely came and went. Took it to the tire shop and they balanced them.

Still had the vibration so I took it back...twice more. I ended up going on a drive with the tech. He told me if it was the balancing it wouldn't come and go but be there all the time at that speed, makes sense.

He did some digging and found a TSB from Ford detailing an issue with the driveshafts going out of balance and causing vibration at highway speeds. The tech said I should take it to a shop that can look into that as he thought that may very well be the issue. To me though it still doesn't make sense because it comes and goes. Seems any balancing issue would be constant.

He also suggest looking at the bearings, which I haven't yet. I don't have a link to the TSB (he gave me a printout) otherwise I'd post it for ya. He did say though, expect rebalancing the driveshafts to be expensive, but I'm not sure how reliable that is!

I'm pretty sure its not the driveshafts on mine. I get a wobble through the steering wheel.

Even though my bearings dont seem loose, thats the only thing I think it could be which would cause vibration and allow the tire to hit the spindle.

Have you checked the front driveshaft and the fluid in the front diff.?
When you said that you checked the bearings on the front, did you have the weight of the vehicle on them and shake them back and forth while holding the top of the tire?

I have the same problem..and guess what else i have, the Same tires! and the same year Ex (2005)

I just had my ball joints replaced thinking this was the problem and yes it helped but the vibration is still there. I dont think anyone can pinpoint the exact cause of this because ive seen multiple threads with no answer...

But, no ones mentioned the driveshaft being out of balance so I may look into this.

From the ones Iv'e seen, driveshafts have a small weight on them near the ends. Check to see if that's there as well.

Have you checked the front driveshaft and the fluid in the front diff.?
When you said that you checked the bearings on the front, did you have the weight of the vehicle on them and shake them back and forth while holding the top of the tire?

I checked the bearings by jacking up the front of the truck and grabbing the wheel and shaking... no play.

The diff level is fine. I replaced the fluid a little over a month ago. This problem started before the changed the diff fluid.

Guys I got brand new pirelli scorpion atr had clip on weights first didnt feel a single vibration then one of the weights fell off got them rebalanced happened again weight weight falls off...They rebalanced them put adhesive weights all 4 tires with clip weight in back as well...Go on expressway no steering wheel shake or anything but I get a very very small vibration which i dont know what the heck it is...Im so frustrated as well I feel you guys 100% I have a 2003 ford explorer limited 4.6 v8 replaced all wheel bearings replace balljoints replaced cv boot alignment ive done it all brand new brakes front and back.

Driveshaft is fine mechanic showed me.

All FLUID levels full differentials front and back

I dont get it anymore its either the TIRES because there so brand new or what

I had MICHELIN LTX MS tires and the wheel weights never ever fell off same RIM.
I never had vibration but the tires were LOUD

Any help would be appreciated before I just stop driving it

I have tires pressures at 30PSI front and 35 PSI back like it says on the DOOR stillsame thing tried 40psi all around same.

My tire says MAX 44PSI I dunno what to do anymore

Guys I got brand new pirelli scorpion atr had clip on weights first didnt feel a single vibration then one of the weights fell off got them rebalanced happened again weight weight falls off...They rebalanced them put adhesive weights all 4 tires with clip weight in back as well...Go on expressway no steering wheel shake or anything but I get a very very small vibration which i dont know what the heck it is...Im so frustrated as well I feel you guys 100% I have a 2003 ford explorer limited 4.6 v8 replaced all wheel bearings replace balljoints replaced cv boot alignment ive done it all brand new brakes front and back.

Driveshaft is fine mechanic showed me.

All FLUID levels full differentials front and back

I dont get it anymore its either the TIRES because there so brand new or what

I had MICHELIN LTX MS tires and the wheel weights never ever fell off same RIM.
I never had vibration but the tires were LOUD

Any help would be appreciated before I just stop driving it
I havent gone back to the tire shop where I got them because I dont want to look like a fool...The vibration is very small its not something im dying over but I can feel it a bit which to me it bugs me LOL
How long are you going to pursue this here? Difficult to diagnose small vibration issues on line. Have the tire shop check them over.

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=371552

Need not be. Word of mouth and customer satisfaction is very important.
I'm certain they want you to be satisfied and will do whatever it takes.
Tell them what you've described here. Very anxious to hear the outcome. GL

Tomorrow if I have some spare time im going to a TIRE SHOP not where I got them installed but another one I want 2 OPINIONS then im going back to where I got them incase they try to PULL A FAST ONE on me bro.

If they are aftermarket wheels?? Do you have hubcentric rings installed? You might need them...
Are the factory rotor retainers still installed??? If so remove them...

Back