Paint Issues - Non Hood | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

bluelion

Reaction score
City, State
Spring, TX
Year, Model & Trim Level
2012 EX Limited
well the day i purchased the Ex, i noticed a paint defect/bubble on the rear passenger door. i was lucky that i noticed it while it still sat on the showroom floor and pointed it out to them....they said they'll fix it later since it was 10pm on a wednesday night when i bought it....well last week i took it to their body shop and dropped off the ex....two days later i picked it up nice and shiny, paint bubble free.... here comes the funny part,

i went to get put into a rental car and they wanted to try to put me into some dodge minivan, and i didn't care for it much. and seeing that i was dropping it off during my work week, i really just needed a "point A to point B" type of car. wife was gonna be at home with the newborn and not going anywhere.....so i pointed to a vehicle and asked "is THAT available for rent?".....thinking that i was playing a practical joke, my wife ended up liking this car........

2167936990053287632S600x600Q85.jpg

2756534340053287632S600x600Q85.jpg

2764987730053287632S600x600Q85.jpg

2348664250053287632S600x600Q85.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

2011 eplorer paint problem

Has anyone with a Ford vehicle had any paint defects? I have what looks like a bubble coming out of the front bumper of my explorer 2011. It has started to crack a little so I put a little touch up paint on it. I took it to the dealership and they took pictures and sent them to ford, but the claim was denied. They state that it was caused by impact. I can not understand this because there is not a single mark anywhere on the bumper, nothing is misaligned or looks pushed in at all. Just this little bubble coming OUTWARD from the bumper. I don't know how this can be considered impact. I would thing impact would go inward. They simply denied the claim. I called the dealership and they said it is not their decision and to follow up with FORD. So I call ford of canada and they say there is no appealing the decision and if I disagree, then to speak with the dealership. This is just brutal service from Ford again, considering I've done a bit of looking around, and found several complaints online from other ford vehicle owners regarding paint bubbles/blistering problems on other cars. On top of that, the paint on the body on the inside of the liftgate has started to chip in a few spots. The dealer has yet to tell me about his claim. Probably looking at ford denying that one too with little to no explanation. These issues are on top of other things such as cooling fans/transmission slippage/roof rattles/etc that they are looking into. Everytime I get into this car it feels like something else is gonna break. When I speak to Ford Customer service they speak to me like I'm crazy and that Ford could never have a defect in their paint. In the USA, customers are able to escalate their concerns with regional customer service manager/reps and get some better service, but here in Canada, we don't have that option. We are stuck with whatever Ford does/tells us. I'm gonna have to start looking into what I can do in Canada regarding lemon laws.

I've been looking over ours pretty carefully and haven't seen anything yet. The true test will be the first car wash.

Take a picture of yours and post it, so,we can see what exactly you 're speaking about. It never hurts to have a second set of eyes on something, or a 1000

Has anyone with a Ford vehicle had any paint defects? I have what looks like a bubble coming out of the front bumper of my explorer 2011. It has started to crack a little so I put a little touch up paint on it. I took it to the dealership and they took pictures and sent them to ford, but the claim was denied. They state that it was caused by impact. I can not understand this because there is not a single mark anywhere on the bumper, nothing is misaligned or looks pushed in at all. Just this little bubble coming OUTWARD from the bumper. I don't know how this can be considered impact. I would thing impact would go inward. They simply denied the claim. I called the dealership and they said it is not their decision and to follow up with FORD. So I call ford of canada and they say there is no appealing the decision and if I disagree, then to speak with the dealership. This is just brutal service from Ford again, considering I've done a bit of looking around, and found several complaints online from other ford vehicle owners regarding paint bubbles/blistering problems on other cars. On top of that, the paint on the body on the inside of the liftgate has started to chip in a few spots. The dealer has yet to tell me about his claim. Probably looking at ford denying that one too with little to no explanation. These issues are on top of other things such as cooling fans/transmission slippage/roof rattles/etc that they are looking into. Everytime I get into this car it feels like something else is gonna break. When I speak to Ford Customer service they speak to me like I'm crazy and that Ford could never have a defect in their paint. In the USA, customers are able to escalate their concerns with regional customer service manager/reps and get some better service, but here in Canada, we don't have that option. We are stuck with whatever Ford does/tells us. I'm gonna have to start looking into what I can do in Canada regarding lemon laws.
There are no lemon laws here. Each province has some consumer protection statutes. In 2002 Ontario unsuccessfully attempted to pass a lemon law. However, all is not lost. Consumers here can submit disputes to the Canadian Motor Vehicle Arbitration Plan (CAMVAP) for a neutral third-party resolution.

Peter

I will post a pic when the dealer is done correcting the remaining issues with the piece of junk.

There are no lemon laws here. Each province has some consumer protection statutes. In 2002 Ontario unsuccessfully attempted to pass a lemon law. However, all is not lost. Consumers here can submit disputes to the Canadian Motor Vehicle Arbitration Plan (CAMVAP) for a neutral third-party resolution.

Peter

I've been reading a bit about CAMVAP and it seems that the auto manufacturers are the ones who pay for them to run their "service" so I don't know how neutral they would be. I don't know anyone who has gone that route or what the success rate is. I'm pretty much up the river without a paddle. Looks like its time to sell this thing or look at a trade in from another car company. Back to Infiniti I think

Best way to get answers, post on the ford facebook or the explorer facebook page. Even if you dont have a facebook, create one for that. I had problems with my Chevy and no one at Chevy was any help, I posted on the Chevy fan page and within minutes I had 3 messages from them.

Even if you have a lemon law, they typically don't apply to something like a paint defect - only to major systems.

Just wondering if someone may have backed into you and caused the damage.

As stated above, pics would help.

Paint Defects, Blemishes on New Explorer

I got my new 2013 Explorer XLT Oct 1'st. The colore is Silver. In the beginning I loved the car.

After two weeks I noticed two dark spots on the hood. I took it back to the dealer and they looked at it. The manager there told me that this is a paint defect and the solution is to repaint the hood. I discussed the issue with them and he told me that this is the best they can do. At least get me a factory painted hood. The factory is in Chicago and it take a day to get one to North Virginia.

Now, I will have a new car that is less than one month old with a repainted hood. This is really unacceptable to me. I am really disappointed :mad:

I had two Toyota and one Honda in the past. They all had paint that lasted for yours. BUT my new Ford cannot last for one month!!

The best deal I need from Ford now is to give me my money and take their vehicle back. If this is the result today what is going to happen to it a year from now.

I got my new 2013 Explorer XLT Oct 1'st. The colore is Silver. In the beginning I loved the car.

After two weeks I noticed two dark spots on the hood. I took it back to the dealer and they looked at it. The manager there told me that this is a paint defect and the solution is to repaint the hood. I discussed the issue with them and he told me that this is the best they can do. At least get me a factory painted hood. The factory is in Chicago and it take a day to get one to North Virginia.

Now, I will have a new car that is less than one month old with a repainted hood. This is really unacceptable to me. I am really disappointed :mad:

I had two Toyota and one Honda in the past. They all had paint that lasted for yours. BUT my new Ford cannot last for one month!!

The best deal I need from Ford now is to give me my money and take their vehicle back. If this is the result today what is going to happen to it a year from now.
Welcome to the Forum walisas.:wavey:
There have been a few posts about paint defects in a new Explorer. I don't know what would have caused your defects but I'm guessing that they were there from the start. I don't know if getting a factory painted hood shipped to you would be any better than having yours repainted.
I had a stone chip on the hood of an '06 Highlander that really bothered me so I had the Toyota bodyshop repaint it and it came out perfect.
Good luck.

Peter

A bit dramatic aren't we?

^ for real. My explorer has the strongest paint I've ever seen granted its a '97. But Fords tend to have the best paint
And saying the Toyotas and Hondas are better..... I'm not even gonna say anything. I've used my mom's civic in these "my new explorer sucks" threads it's just old. Honestly donno why I click on it, guess I was hoping to see a bug stuck in the paint or something

I had a paint defect with our new 2013 XLT, and had it repainted at the body shop under warranty. Looks fine now.

So it gets repainted. What's the big deal? If they had caught it at the factory during a final quality check, they would have re-painted it there and you would have never known the difference.

A bit dramatic aren't we?

It is the feeling when you see your new car going together in the same line with damaged car to get a new paint.
Is there anymore problem from this car that I will have in the future? This is what scares me.

So it gets repainted. What's the big deal? If they had caught it at the factory during a final quality check, they would have re-painted it there and you would have never known the difference.

Yes it is a big deal for me.
Just ask any body shop if there work is similar to the factory paint.

The following is issues with that:
- With the time, car paint changes because if many factors. The body shop paint is going to change in different way than the factory paint. You will end up having two different colors.
- The quality of body shop paint is less than the quality of factory paint. For example it could chip-off easily comparing with the factory paint.
- It is hard to repaint the hood with the exact same color as the factory did on the whole car. If you look from different angles you will find this small difference on colors.
- Devices such as "color meter" that is used by dealer when you sell your car will tell that the hood is repainted. This will depreciate the car value because part of it has been repainted for some reason another.

Finally, a car that worth $35K should not have this problem.

You are not going to notice a color difference in new paint, maybe if the car had sat out in the sun for 10 years but you can't tell the difference at all. We have several cars in our family repainted for various reasons and they all came out good. Any decent body shop can easily match new paint.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

if ford dealer is having the hood repainted you will have a repair ticket so if in a given time the paint peals etc... have them re paint it, like one said if they would have picked it up at the palnt the same would have been done!!!!!!

Back