• Register Today It's free!

Windows 8 Phone

RJT

Reaction score
City, State
Martinez, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2011 limited/ '97 xlt
I'm thinking about getting the new Windows 8 phone (coming out next few days) but am usually one of those guys that stands by the sidelines and waits for comments/reviews prior to purchase. Should there be any early adopters on this forum, I would be curious to know what your thoughts and impressions are.

Given MFT is MS based, would like thoughts on texting capabilities, syncing, and actually, whether or not you can send directions to car via their nav app. I know they are using Nokia and Navteq as their mapping and nav backends.

Thx

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

MS runs the OS on MFT, which has nothing to do with the UI (which is Adobe Flash based). Windows 8 won't work any better or any worse than other phones just because it's Microsoft.

On a brighter note, LMK how you like your new phone. All I keep reading and seeing is that the new mobile MS OS is off-the-charts cool!

I'm using a Win 7.5 Arrive. I've had no trouble what so ever between it and MFT. While I can't compose a text, MFT will read an incoming one and allow me to reply via voice and send it.
I'm not using any app for sending POIs or addresses to Sync, but I do use mapquest either from my home PC or from the browser on the phone. I have to view the "full" version of mapquest not the mobile version to get the "Send to Sync" option.

I too am waiting for a Win 8 phone, but more than likely will just pick up Surface Pro before I get the phone. My W7.5 HTC Arrive is working just fine.

From the research I have done (reading tons of postings and whatever articles I could find), Windows Phone 7 (& 7.5) have had among the best support for the myriad of MFT features. May or may not be due to Microsoft's involvement, but their phone OS seems to play nice with MFT :)

From the research I have done (reading tons of postings and whatever articles I could find), Windows Phone 7 (& 7.5) have had among the best support for the myriad of MFT features. May or may not be due to Microsoft's involvement, but their phone OS seems to play nice with MFT :)

First hand experience-
I have used WP7, Droid & ios.
WP7 hands down played the best with MFT.
Can't wait for WP8 on Verizon!

First hand experience-
I have used WP7, Droid & ios.
WP7 hands down played the best with MFT.
Can't wait for WP8 on Verizon!

I have my eye on an HTC 8x. Can't wait to get a little hands on time to check it out to make a final decision.

I have my eye on an HTC 8x. Can't wait to get a little hands on time to check it out to make a final decision.

You know, I love HTC and have owned many of their devices but I am also intrigued by the Nokia!

I just picked up a Nokia 920 Windows phone 8

I haven't done much with it yet, but will report back when I use it more

One thing that I did find strange was that I could not find the Sync Destinations app in the store.

will have to try mapquest, but compared to google maps it stinks and gives crappy directions

Also, it says that Bluetooth does not support reading texts or something like that.

first update on Windows 8 phone

HORRIBLE

When I first connected voice dial wouldn't work, thought it was because I didn't download my phonebook.

Well, still useless....I say Call XXXX and it gives me the standard, heres the commmands you can say..... so then I try Call.....it says say name..... I say name and then gives me same problem.

I really like my explorer, but any time I try and use MFT, Sync or anything more than just the basic features it sucks and completely frustrates me.

My HTC 8X arrived a little while ago. Just waiting for the wife to get home (with the Explorer!) to get everything setup.

I'll report back when it is up and running :)

I just picked up a Nokia 920 Windows phone 8

I haven't done much with it yet, but will report back when I use it more

One thing that I did find strange was that I could not find the Sync Destinations app in the store.

will have to try mapquest, but compared to google maps it stinks and gives crappy directions

Also, it says that Bluetooth does not support reading texts or something like that.

first update on Windows 8 phone

HORRIBLE

When I first connected voice dial wouldn't work, thought it was because I didn't download my phonebook.

Well, still useless....I say Call XXXX and it gives me the standard, heres the commmands you can say..... so then I try Call.....it says say name..... I say name and then gives me same problem.

I really like my explorer, but any time I try and use MFT, Sync or anything more than just the basic features it sucks and completely frustrates me.

See my post above about Win 7.5. It doesn't support composing a text, but if some one sends you one... Sync will read it to you, and allow you to respond / send a reply via voice.

Make sure you have downloaded your address book to Sync. I have no problems dialing contacts via voice command there's no reason why you shouldn't either. I doubt Win8 is much different from 7.5.

OK, I just hit the text button in settings and it said didn't support, thought that might mean all.

I ended up deleting my phonebook and then re-downloading it and not it seems to work.

I will have to try the text thing.

ON a more positive note, MFT response is screaming fast compared to my iphone 4.

I used to leave work and use voice dial to call my wife and tell her I was on my way, usually I would be almost half way home before the thing would actually respond and call..... now when I get in voice dial is available almost immediately.

See my post above about Win 7.5. It doesn't support composing a text, but if some one sends you one... Sync will read it to you, and allow you to respond / send a reply via voice.

Make sure you have downloaded your address book to Sync. I have no problems dialing contacts via voice command there's no reason why you shouldn't either. I doubt Win8 is much different from 7.5.

OK, I just hit the text button in settings and it said didn't support, thought that might mean all.

I ended up deleting my phonebook and then re-downloading it and not it seems to work.

I will have to try the text thing.

ON a more positive note, MFT response is screaming fast compared to my iphone 4.

I used to leave work and use voice dial to call my wife and tell her I was on my way, usually I would be almost half way home before the thing would actually respond and call..... now when I get in voice dial is available almost immediately.

:thumbsup: Glad you got it sorted out!

:thumbsup: Glad you got it sorted out!

Thanks. Couple questions

How do you get it to read texts?

I just tested it a d when I get a text the system answers like a phone call, but nothing happens.

I was able to voice text by activating it on the phone and then uses mft for mix and speakers

Thanks. Couple questions

How do you get it to read texts?

I just tested it a d when I get a text the system answers like a phone call, but nothing happens.

I was able to voice text by activating it on the phone and then uses mft for mix and speakers

What happens for me, I'll receive a text while driving. Sync will say "you have a text from..." (or something like that) and it will ask if I want to hear it... I answer yes... it reads the text then gives me an option to reply, and I'll speak it. It will read it back and ask if it should be sent... I answer "yes". I don't have to touch the phone at all. Yes you can compose a text the way you stated, by using the voice feature of the phone itself and having it passed through Sync as you've experienced.

Have someone send you a text while the car is running, and see what happens. You shouldn't have to touch the phone.

When I get a text the mft automatically answers, but there is nothing said. It just opens the line like a phone call but nothing happens.

Any settings on your phone you had to do?

I tried to turn texting on in mft but just says this device doesn't support text

Hmmmm. There wasn't anything special I had to do with the phone other than normal pairing. The messaging button in MFT says the same thing on mine. It works as I stated above and I don't have any interaction with the phone when it happens, it's all through voice. I'll check to see if there are any settings on the phone under Bluetooth>Sync later and get back to you.

**Edit**
OK, tried it out on my way to work. Sync does treat the text as an incoming phone call.

The text hit the phone, connected to Sync, and said "You have a meessage from... you can say read it or ignore..." I said "read it". I then had the option to reply and I did. I received a message back on the phone I sent the text from. At no point did I have to touch the phone for this to work. I just had it sitting in the cup holder so I could keep an eye on it.

Make sure your volume on the phone and Sync are turned up. You can also check the settings on MFT under Settings> Phone > Text allerts.

The texting thing is weird with my HTC 8X. It says it is not compatible with that feature, yet it shows a little envelope in the corner, so it knows that my phone has texts on it. I think the phone has a MAP glitch :(

Windows Phone 8 and text functionality in MyFord Touch do not go along. The problem? Well, it seems that Microsoft took it upon itself to step up and take the bold move of REMOVING functionality in "upgrading" Windows Phone 7 to Windows Phone 8. The upgrade seems to have included removing the MAP profile from the operating system. Great move! This is gonna irritate Ford, Honda, Acura and a number of other car manufacturers that have chosen to utilize the MAP profile for messaging. What a dumb thing to do. I have voiced my irritation on the Microsoft Community site, so hopefully other owners in the same boat can join in and make a little noise to get this added back in.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

tried again tonight and texting kind of worked.

Wife texted me, MFT opened and said I had a text and ask me if I wanted to read or cancel it.

I thought great, so I said read it.....and nothing happened. Asked again, I responded and nothing after the third try it just stopped, for some reason did not recognize my commands

I regularly have problems like this with sync....every command it hears as operator or doesn't hear at all

Back