• Register Today It's free!

Explorer Sport 0-60 results

zackcrazy

Reaction score
City, State
Windsor, Ontario
Year, Model & Trim Level
2017 Explorer Sport
Did some run's today after I set up the Gtech SS I ordered. I got this unit because it uses gps technology and not a accelerometer. It has good reviews compared to most and is suppost to be very accurate.

My past runs with the same condition's and 94 octane were in around 6.2 sec timed on my iphone.

Temp 40 degree's
1/4 tank of 91 octane
Dry road with no passengers.

Consistant 5.7 sec 0-60
and 1/4 mile of 14.4

All of these runs were not on the same stretch of road so I discarded the high and low. 5.59 and 14.26 were the fastest.
I did hold the brake a little to try launching at differant rpm's but there was no noticable differances.
The high runs were definetly road conditions and torque steer issues.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Did some run's today after I set up the Gtech SS I ordered. I got this unit because it uses gps technology and not a accelerometer. It has good reviews compared to most and is suppost to be very accurate.

My past runs with the same condition's and 94 octane were in around 6.2 sec timed on my iphone.

Temp 40 degree's
1/4 tank of 91 octane

Consistant 5.7 sec 0-60
and 1/4 mile of 14.4

All of these runs were not on the same stretch of road so I discarded the high and low. 5.59 and 14.26 were the fastest.
I did hold the brake a little to try launching at differant rpm's but there was no noticable differances.

Sounds good. 5's are good to hear. I'm thinking when they start making some aftermarket intakes and exhausts and 30 more horsepower is gained high 4's.

what is the gtech ss?

sounds pretty fast for such a heavy vehicle. wow.

I've been away from things for a while I didn't realize they offered an optional engine like that.

Sounds good. 5's are good to hear. I'm thinking when they start making some aftermarket intakes and exhausts and 30 more horsepower is gained high 4's.

That's a bit optimistic, getting into the high 4's with 30 HP. Probably need more than 80-100 additional HP to get this big brick moving that quickly. The Jeep SRT8 is approximately the same weight, has 470 HP and makes it to 60 in ~4.7 seconds. That's 100 pounds more weight with 120 more HP and who knows how much more torque. Add 2/10's and subtract 20 HP, then subtract another 10 HP for the 100 pounds and you are right at 100 HP.

That said, sub-6 second 0-60 is pretty impressive! Interesting comment on the torque steer being a problem, as I have had a couple of instances of scary torque steer in our AWD Limited, I imagine the extra 100 HP can get pretty exciting at times.

That's a bit optimistic, getting into the high 4's with 30 HP. Probably need more than 80-100 additional HP to get this big brick moving that quickly. The Jeep SRT8 is approximately the same weight, has 470 HP and makes it to 60 in ~4.7 seconds. That's 100 pounds more weight with 120 more HP and who knows how much more torque. Add 2/10's and subtract 20 HP, then subtract another 10 HP for the 100 pounds and you are right at 100 HP.

That said, sub-6 second 0-60 is pretty impressive! Interesting comment on the torque steer being a problem, as I have had a couple of instances of scary torque steer in our AWD Limited, I imagine the extra 100 HP can get pretty exciting at times.

You can do all the math you want but his best was 5.5. 1/2 a second to get to the 4's. add that 30 Hp and practice your reaction time and its not that far outta reach. I'm the one who told the guy to put 91 octane in and only put in 1/4 tank and he would hit the 5's.
The srt-8 has 420 and runs a 4.8 0-60. The sport has 365 plus that 30 is 395. 25 Hp difference. 4.99 is by no means out of reach.

I would also look into the drivetrain parasitical hp losses... Jeep products have typocally had quite a bit of drive train loss and I would susoect the Explorer has less of a loss
that would narrow the gap

The NEW jeep srt8 does have 470 hp and 465lb ft

Temp 40 degree's
1/4 tank of 91 octane

Consistant 5.7 sec 0-60
and 1/4 mile of 14.4

HA!!!!! I was right!! Between 5.5 and 6.6 seconds! (though closer to 5.5 & 6.0 seconds) Damn I'm good! :D:D (and of course, i give my favorite happy face)

You can do all the math you want but his best was 5.5. 1/2 a second to get to the 4's. add that 30 Hp and practice your reaction time and its not that far outta reach. I'm the one who told the guy to put 91 octane in and only put in 1/4 tank and he would hit the 5's.
The srt-8 has 420 and runs a 4.8 0-60. The sport has 365 plus that 30 is 395. 25 Hp difference. 4.99 is by no means out of reach.

I don't think you quite grasp what is involved in shaving a half second off a 0-60 time.

That being said. Tuners have gotten 60-100 hp and lots of torque from tuning ECM on f150 ecoboost. Turbo motors respond more to tuning than naturally aspirated. Exhaust, intake, ECM, and this thing should be fun to drive and easily break 5 seconds.

This is really making me want one. One of my favorite vehicles ever was the typhoon. My friend has a sick one with 30,000 miles. Another has a 750hp roll caged beast that is one of the fastest most violent 0-60 I have ever road in.

All this begs, how's the tranny on these explorers? Does the sport have better/tougher than non sport?

I don't think you quite grasp what is involved in shaving a half second off a 0-60 time.

That being said. Tuners have gotten 60-100 hp and lots of torque from tuning ECM on f150 ecoboost. Turbo motors respond more to tuning than naturally aspirated. Exhaust, intake, ECM, and this thing should be fun to drive and easily break 5 seconds.

This is really making me want one. One of my favorite vehicles ever was the typhoon. My friend has a sick one with 30,000 miles. Another has a 750hp roll caged beast that is one of the fastest most violent 0-60 I have ever road in.

All this begs, how's the tranny on these explorers? Does the sport have better/tougher than non sport?

I know what it takes, I have driven cars at Englishtown for years and even Maple Groove. I didn't even start talking about tuning boost yet. I am only on quick aftermark parts first to get a new baseline (intake and full exhausts).
And you yourself are saying it should be easy to do. So why don't I understand, if you do?

I know what it takes, I have driven cars at Englishtown for years and even Maple Groove. I didn't even start talking about tuning boost yet. I am only on quick aftermark parts first to get a new baseline (intake and full exhausts).
And you yourself are saying it should be easy to do. So why don't I understand, if you do?

So driving cars makes you a vehicle tuner? You stated 30 hp will shave a half second. I disagree!

So driving cars makes you a vehicle tuner? You stated 30 hp will shave a half second. I disagree!

The OP (I believe it was him) told me the same thing when I told him to only use 1/4 tank of fuel instead of a full tank, and to use 91 instead of 87 because it was tuned with 91 from Ford. He then was in the 6's and I said he would get into the 5's by doing this... Guess what, the Sport is in the 5's.

And building cars and running them makes me a little knowledgeable, I never called myself a "tuner". But I know about a dozen of them who would love to play with this new Sport setup.

"add that 30 Hp and practice your reaction time and its not that far outta reach" That is what I said. If you read that as, IT WILL HAPPEN... You need to practice reading.

Ok, well it will be virtually impossible for either of us to prove, at least in any timely or quantitative fashion. so I leave with my belief that you are not shaving .5 seconds with 30 horsepower.

While more power is very interesting, I have to question how much worse the torque steer would be with an extra 30, 50, 100 hp. Having had RWD based cars/SUVs for a while, I am still getting used to the torque steer with the Ex.

Your a jersey guy? I used run there Atco, Island, Reading and some other places not so legal....

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Sorry, I was looking at the 6.1 Hemi. The 6.4 does have 470.
I would still be curious at what the Sport vs. the SRT8 does on a dyno snce Chrysler products typically suffer from more than average drivetrain loss
I dont see why the low 5's to shoukd be difficult to attain. i think I could get to 4's and still spend less tha an SRT8 possibly

Back