recent ac issue...3 and 4 blow the same | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

recent ac issue...3 and 4 blow the same

ninobrn99

Reaction score
City, State
Houston, TX
Year, Model & Trim Level
04 XLS
With my ac on Max and fully cold, there is no change from the 3 and 4 settings. What I mean is, when I go from 3 to 4, it blows the same as 3. It just started a couple of days ago. Any thoughts on what I can be? I've also noticed a lot of chirping going on while I drive. It's mainly while I'm accelerating and hitting bumps and cracks. Not sure if its the balancer or something else. That may be a separate issue all together though.

Thanks in advance,
Nino

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

With my ac on Max and fully cold, there is no change from the 3 and 4 settings. What I mean is, when I go from 3 to 4, it blows the same as 3. It just started a couple of days ago. Any thoughts on what I can be? I've also noticed a lot of chirping going on while I drive. It's mainly while I'm accelerating and hitting bumps and cracks. Not sure if its the balancer or something else. That may be a separate issue all together though.

Thanks in advance,
Nino

As far as the 3 & 4 settings: I had the same issue and changed the switch and it works great. I got the radio bezel with everything attached, vents, 4x4 switch, & all climate controls for $14 off eBay. It took less than 10 minutes to change out the switch. Could also be the blower motor resistor.

Here is the switch I changed:

picture.php

Let me know if you need more info on changing the switch or blower motor resistor.

Good luck with the fix. :biggthump

Rondo,
Thanks again man! I'll hit a local junk yard before the weather gets too bad (hot as h3l1 here in TX). I just replaced the radio bezel, but reused all of my own parts. I figured that I could save some $$ by pulling everything off of it, but after I paid, I was wrong. :(

Could you pass the info along for the blower motor resistor please?

As far as the 3 & 4 settings: I had the same issue and changed the switch and it works great. I got the radio bezel with everything attached, vents, 4x4 switch, & all climate controls for $14 off eBay. It took less than 10 minutes to change out the switch. Could also be the blower motor resistor.

Here is the switch I changed:

picture.php

Let me know if you need more info on changing the switch or blower motor resistor.

Good luck with the fix. :biggthump

Could you pass the info along for the blower motor resistor please?

You're welcome. I will round up some info on the blower resistor when I get home tonight or tomorrow.

I am on my 2nd dial switch on my 04 xlt. Seems to went out at 40k miles and now at 80k.

30$ at o riley autoparts.

It's been a while since I've updated, but here goes. I switched out the dial switch and the blower motor resistor with no success. Any other ideas?

Nino

Did you get a new or used switch? Did you notice anything melted or burnt with the connector or wires?

I'm going to check my '02 shop manuals and see if I can find anything relevant.

Rondo,
It was a brand new switch. I didn't notice anything out of the ordinary. No weird smells either. Wires look to be in good condition. Between that and my ABS light issues, I'm losing my mind! :)

Nino

According to my '02 shop manuals there is a blower motor relay and a high speed blower motor relay. If the high speed relay is bad, that could explain speeds 3 & 4 being the same.

I am going to read further..................................

According to my '02 shop manuals there is a blower motor relay and a high speed blower motor relay. If the high speed relay is bad, that could explain speeds 3 & 4 being the same.

I am going to read further..................................
Hmmm.... Interesting. Thank you so much for looking into it!! A tremendous help Rondo.

Nino

Glad to help.

I am scanning the troubleshooting steps for the blower motor not working correctly and how to test the relay.

There aren't many pages so I should be able to get it up soon.

I am having a heck of a time on locating the high speed blower relay. There are several mentions of it in my manuals, but no definitive location. There was one mention of it being behind dash panel, center. I don't know if the radio needs to be removed to access it or if it can be accessed from the passenger side after dropping the glove box?

It looks to be a standard automotive relay. I'm guessing that the local auto parts stores should have it in stock and that it is not too costly.

Here is how to check a relay: http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=366467

I am working on the scans for the troubleshooting steps.

EDIT: Scanning the pages of the shop manual is almost impossible. I am taking pics of the pages, not easy but better than trying to scan.

Check your PM. Troubleshooting steps have been sent. :D:thumbsup:

switch

My 04 did the same thing when I bought it, the blower speed was the same on 3 and 4. If I moved it slowly between 3 and 4, it would go to speed 3 at about 3 1/2.

Did you change the blower motor resistor? Normally that is the problem, I have had to change it 3 times (2 trucks).

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Check your PM. Troubleshooting steps have been sent. :D:thumbsup:

Would you mind sharing this? On my Ex speeds 2 & 3 are the same and I'd like to track down the issue. There was definitely some overheating of wires at the switch, there is some slight melting (will post pics when I can).

Thanks!

Back