FELIPILLO59

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
Hi
This is my first post, hope you can help me

My 2012 has a very poor lights, how can i improve it, and it is impossible to
aim the beam left or right, only up and down

Thanks in advance

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

you can reaim the lights up and down only...it's very easy. just pull up to a flat wall and be sure to be on a flat surface. pop the hood, and right above the headlight housings, you will see a white slot to put the phillips screwdriver in. the slot faces upward so just put the screwdriver in downward facing the ground, and turn it clockwise i think, you will see the beam of the headlights move while you turn the screw driver. make sure to aim the passenger side even with the driver side or at least a little higher than the driver side. it will be a trial and error type thing, aim it up a little, and drive around to see how it improved, if you want it higher, repeat the steps......just don't aim it TOO high.

Hi

Thanks in advance
Welcome to the Forum FELIPILLO59. :wavey:
I don't know which model you have. Do you have the HID's or Halogens? I don't know why more members don't fill in their vehicle specs in their profile so that everyone can see without having to go back and ask.
Please don't get me wrong, this is just not aimed directly at you so please don't take it personally. This has been a pet peeve of mine for a while and I finally had to put it into words. Sorry if I offended you.

The Owner's Guide says that headlamps are aimed properly at the factory. Adjustments can only be made to the vertical positioning, not horizontally. At least that is what it says in my manual for the 2011 model.
There have been quite a few posts where members are not happy with the headlamps, and the most common complaint was that they were aimed too low. If you have the halogen lights, you could try upgrading them. I have always upgraded my headlamps on all vehicles I've owned except the Explorer which has the HID's.

Peter

Hi

Thanks in advance

Hi, Felip..

What aspect of your lights seem "very poor" to you? I have a 2012 Exlorer XLT with the regular halogen lamps and I'm very satisfied with the lighting.. Anything beyond what's OEM seems unnecessary and overkill..

Will you be more specific as to what seems lacking? As for aiming the headlamp beams, you may not want to bother adjusting them as the factory setting takes into account oncoming traffic and the need to project light forward for visibility. Unnecessary alterations will compromise one or the other of these factors...

Poor hi &low light

Hi, Felip..

What aspect of your lights seem "very poor" to you? I have a 2012 Exlorer XLT with the regular halogen lamps and I'm very satisfied with the lighting.. Anything beyond what's OEM seems unnecessary and overkill..

Will you be more specific as to what seems lacking? As for aiming the headlamp beams, you may not want to bother adjusting them as the factory setting takes into account oncoming traffic and the need to project light forward for visibility. Unnecessary alterations will compromise one or the other of these factors...

Sorry
My 2012 new model Explorer came with Halogen bulbs but i see a rare light pattern
then i replace with a HID only change the color but there are 2 black spots rather a bright beam. Sorry about my englih i hope u can understand me.
I calilbrate up and down but still lack of ilumination
Thanks in advance for your patience and time

Sorry
My 2012 new model Explorer came with Halogen bulbs but i see a rare light pattern
then i replace with a HID only change the color but there are 2 black spots rather a bright beam. Sorry about my englih i hope u can understand me.
I calilbrate up and down but still lack of ilumination
Thanks in advance for your patience and time

Poor illumination

Welcome to the Forum FELIPILLO59. :wavey:
I don't know which model you have. Do you have the HID's or Halogens? I don't know why more members don't fill in their vehicle specs in their profile so that everyone can see without having to go back and ask.
Please don't get me wrong, this is just not aimed directly at you so please don't take it personally. This has been a pet peeve of mine for a while and I finally had to put it into words. Sorry if I offended you.

The Owner's Guide says that headlamps are aimed properly at the factory. Adjustments can only be made to the vertical positioning, not horizontally. At least that is what it says in my manual for the 2011 model.
There have been quite a few posts where members are not happy with the headlamps, and the most common complaint was that they were aimed too low. If you have the halogen lights, you could try upgrading them. I have always upgraded my headlamps on all vehicles I've owned except the Explorer which has the HID's.

Peter
Hi peter
My explorer is the new model 2012
because the poor illumination i change the Halogen with aftermarket HID but still the same
The illumination pattern have two black spot than a brillinat beam

Thanks in advance

Okay, so let me get this straight.

There was a thread in the modified Explorer 2011 forums that there was a certain way to install the HID so you didn't have that black spot because several owners had that issue when installing HIDs (I think the DDM tuning ones or something). Check for a thread about it, I'm pretty sure you have to screw the bulb a certain way.

Also, for better illumination, just calibrate the projectors to come up higher without getting it into the other driver's faces.

From my understanding, the lights on the Explorer are always on high power and so when you turn on the high beams, the Explorer just moves a piece that cuts off the light from the top so the only way you can get the light to shine higher is basically aim the headlights high enough that it doesn't blind drivers.

If there is a possible install for brighter amber lamps, maybe that could help with the brightness if you're having trouble seeing signs and stuff.

Okay, so let me get this straight.

There was a thread in the modified Explorer 2011 forums that there was a certain way to install the HID so you didn't have that black spot because several owners had that issue when installing HIDs (I think the DDM tuning ones or something). Check for a thread about it, I'm pretty sure you have to screw the bulb a certain way.

Also, for better illumination, just calibrate the projectors to come up higher without getting it into the other driver's faces.

From my understanding, the lights on the Explorer are always on high power and so when you turn on the high beams, the Explorer just moves a piece that cuts off the light from the top so the only way you can get the light to shine higher is basically aim the headlights high enough that it doesn't blind drivers.

If there is a possible install for brighter amber lamps, maybe that could help with the brightness if you're having trouble seeing signs and stuff.

I change the halogen lights with HID but nothing better happens I think the problems wil be the headlight projectors Ford must replace them with a new well designed pair

I change the halogen lights with HID but nothing better happens I think the problems wil be the headlight projectors Ford must replace them with a new well designed pair
As I have mentioned before, in the 3 Highlanders I had before getting the Explorer, I replaced the OEM halogens with upgraded halogens and it made a big difference. So much so that I was originally disapponted with the HID's I now have. he HID's have a different light pattern that took getting used to.

Peter

Add a set of driving lights in the lower grill. I did that to improve my high beam pattern.

Does anyone else feel that the hid beam pattern points too far to the right? Mine seem to light up the right side of the road twice as bright and far as the left.

Does anyone else feel that the hid beam pattern points too far to the right? Mine seem to light up the right side of the road twice as bright and far as the left.
That is the way they are supposed to be aimed to prevent blinding oncoming traffic. I've had no problem with mine and they are all aimed that way at the factory. You can make verticle adjustments only but no horizontal adjustment.

Peter

I think the headlights are fine. Living in Canada I like the fact they shine to the right. Lights up the ditches and helps spot moose and deer. Has saved me a couple of times.

So then the factory decided to blind all the drivers that I pass on the left? Did a 4500 mile winter road trip and was flashed 15 times by truckers that I passed on the left.

So then the factory decided to blind all the drivers that I pass on the left? Did a 4500 mile winter road trip and was flashed 15 times by truckers that I passed on the left.
I'm assuming the truckers that flashed you did so with their lights. :D
Sometimes truckers will flash their lights to indicate that it is safe for you to pull back into the right lane.
The important ones are the drivers coming toward you.
There is a section in the manual that shows how to aim your lights. Perhaps yours are set too high?
Check them against what the manual shows and see if they fall within specs.
I haven't touched mine and haven't had anyone flash their lights.

Peter

I have a problem seeing the road with the head lights on my Explorer, the peripheral vision is terrible, no light out to the sides. Turning on the fog lights help. Is there anything that can be done to improve this?

Thanks
Dale

I have a problem seeing the road with the head lights on my Explorer, the peripheral vision is terrible, no light out to the sides. Turning on the fog lights help. Is there anything that can be done to improve this?

Thanks
Dale
Welcome to the Forum ADAMSON.:wavey:
Dale, I don't have the halogens on mine but the HID's don't seem to throw much light to the sides either. There is some lighting but not much. I guess it depends alot on the way the head lamp itself is made. More light to the side could also possibly mean more light shining into oncoming traffic. Apart from installing some brighter aftermarket bulbs which may or may not help, the only adjustment you can make to the head lamps is verticle. They cannot be adjusted horizontally.

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

My questions are:

1. Are the main lights that come with the 2013 Sport considered HID's?

2. If not, is there an HID kit for the mains and fogs?

3. What temperature are the stock mains and fogs?

4. Whats the difference between Xenon and HID?

Back