Foul Smell in Cabin From Vents / AC | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Foul Smell in Cabin From Vents / AC

Some have had a water leak in the rear where the 3rd row seat belts are located.
Also if you run the temperature control on recirculate all the time it will also cause a foul oder

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Mine also has this smell for a short bit after it sits when the A/C comes on and it is worse after a rain. It is not the cabin air filter. I replaced the filter and still had the smell. The A/C drain from the evaporator is clear and appears to be draining.

Mine too. New cabin filter also. Smell is only on start up for a few seconds, but it really bothers my wife. I have sprayed Lysol disinfectant spray into the AC intakes, both near the inside floorboards and into the cowl air intakes, but no permanent cure. Never had any water leaks or problems.

Dealerships typically have a specially manufactured "disinfectant" available to them that they essentially flush through the vents from intake to interior to resolve this problem if its not just a cabin filter. I had it done on a 2001 Ex sport and never had a problem afterwards.

Hello! 3 weeks ago, under pouring rain, I jumped into my explorer all wet, and drove home. The day after when I started up the vehicle, I noticed that a mildew smell came out of the A/C for about 10 seconds.. Ever since then, every time the vehicle rests for about 4 or more hours, a mildew smell comes from the A/C when I start it up. It doesn't matter whether the air recirculation is on or not.

Seats are non-perforated leather, and the vehicle has been through 2 ozone treatments. It does not otherwise smell bad at all. Only when I turn it on, and for about 10 seconds.

I read somewhere that older epxlorers had collector boxes behind the dash, and leftover water could accumulate there. Maybe that's where I should look?

Any advice?

Mine also has this smell for a short bit after it sits when the A/C comes on and it is worse after a rain. It is not the cabin air filter. I replaced the filter and still had the smell. The A/C drain from the evaporator is clear and appears to be draining.

Some have had a water leak in the rear where the 3rd row seat belts are located.
Also if you run the temperature control on recirculate all the time it will also cause a foul oder

Mine too. New cabin filter also. Smell is only on start up for a few seconds, but it really bothers my wife. I have sprayed Lysol disinfectant spray into the AC intakes, both near the inside floorboards and into the cowl air intakes, but no permanent cure. Never had any water leaks or problems.

Hey everyone,

It wouldn't hurt to swing by the dealership so they can take a peek. If you'd like, you can wait until you have an oil change or other scheduled maintenance visit so you can save yourself a special trip. Feel free to send a PM in my direction if you have any other questions.

I believe there is a cabin airfilter behind the glove box, perhaps it needs to be changed. Could have gotten moisture in it and now you have stuff growing :)

I got a replacement filter from Napa AutoParts for around 10 bucks I think. You can get a motorcraft one on Amazon.com for cheap too. The only finicky part about replacing the filter yourself is taking the glove compartment door on and off. The two pins you have to release and put back on are pretty tight. Also it is sometimes hard to clip in the door correctly. Also, don't forget to remove this bungee chord thing too! Here's the video I followed. It's a great video and it's honestly not hard at all to do.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qlxI5N0ghnE

Dealerships typically have a specially manufactured "disinfectant" available to them that they essentially flush through the vents from intake to interior to resolve this problem if its not just a cabin filter. I had it done on a 2001 Ex sport and never had a problem afterwards.

Great advice, guys. Thanks for chiming in! :D

I believe the correct terminology is "bungee cord thingy":D

Peter

Peter wins the "making me choke on my water with laughter" award today! LOL!

Crystal

The Gray Ghost has started with the A/C smell recently. Another thing to add to the next service list...

The Gray Ghost has started with the A/C smell recently. Another thing to add to the next service list...

Oh no! The Gray Ghost has a phantom smell, too? :D

Seriously though, let me know how things go when you take it to the dealership, VinceL. I'm always happy to step in and assist.

Crystal

Ha! Phantom smell, that's great :D

I'll keep ya posted, thanks Crystal! :)

Most of the smell comes from air born dust that collect on the incoming air side of the inside evaporator coil, especially when it's damp outside, hence mildew stink. It's easier for the particles to stick to the fins. An example is my window air conditioner in my garage. I regularly have to use chemicals that are made to clean AC coils. I'll also clean the condensing coil which is exposed to the outside air. Also you'd be surprised how well your home AC/Heat pump will work when this procedure is done. Especially if you own cats or dogs. The hair will pass through the reusable filter and collect on the indoor coil.
Again more often in damp conditions. Not mentioning when the coil becomes clogged it increases head pressures on the compressor shortening it's life. This can easily be seen using a set of manifold gauges. As more air is passed through the coils via cleaning the pressures come down.

Try hanging the water dryer bag that the boat guys use in their shrink wrapped boat cabins. I think 1 brand is called damp away bags. That will dry up any excess moisture and water in the system and the mildew smell should start to go away. Does anyone know if a 2002 X has a cabin filter? I don't see one.

So far I've tried everything I can think of, from dissifectant to damp-away bags. I'm waiting for my next maintenance to take it in to the dealership; but I would rather solve this sooner.

Anyone know where the cabin air intake is for the front AC?

Musty Smell coming from AC at start up

Hello everyone...im new here and thought I would take a stab to see if anyone has any answers. I have a new(er) 2013 Ford Explorer. I have 16,000 miles on it. Recently, at start up, there is a foul, musty, moldy, stagnant air smell coming from the ac vents. It only lasts about 10 seconds and then goes away.

I have seen on other message boards that others are experiencing the same thing, but no answers?

I took it back to the dealership and they informed me it was the cabin air filter, so they changed it. Only to find the next day, same smell! I took it back to them and they kept it for several hours and sprayed some kid of gel in the ac unit to "kill the bacteria" growing. Said this should solve the problem....Well, yet again today, at start up, same smell...

Help!

Hello everyone...im new here and thought I would take a stab to see if anyone has any answers. I have a new(er) 2013 Ford Explorer. I have 16,000 miles on it. Recently, at start up, there is a foul, musty, moldy, stagnant air smell coming from the ac vents. It only lasts about 10 seconds and then goes away.

I have seen on other message boards that others are experiencing the same thing, but no answers?

I took it back to the dealership and they informed me it was the cabin air filter, so they changed it. Only to find the next day, same smell! I took it back to them and they kept it for several hours and sprayed some kid of gel in the ac unit to "kill the bacteria" growing. Said this should solve the problem....Well, yet again today, at start up, same smell...

Help!
Welcome to the Forum kman1202.:wavey:
Unfortunately you are not the first to have this issue. There is a TSB for something like this listed under the 2011 - 2012 TSB Thread.

12-08-08 - 3.5L TI-VCT - FOUL ODOR FROM COOLING SYSTEM - BUILT ON OR BEFORE 7/9/2012

To make it easier for members to answer your future concerns, it would be helpful if you entered the model and year of your Explorer in your profile so that it will show up in the left margin where your name is.
Good luck.

Peter

Welcome to the Forum kman1202.:wavey:
Unfortunately you are not the first to have this issue. There is a TSB for something like this listed under the 2011 - 2012 TSB Thread.

12-08-08 - 3.5L TI-VCT - FOUL ODOR FROM COOLING SYSTEM - BUILT ON OR BEFORE 7/9/2012

To make it easier for members to answer your future concerns, it would be helpful if you entered the model and year of your Explorer in your profile so that it will show up in the left margin where your name is.
Good luck.

Peter

This TSB has to do with the cooling system with a rotten egg smell after driving the vehicle and coming to a stop, not the A/C.

This TSB has to do with the cooling system with a rotten egg smell after driving the vehicle and coming to a stop, not the A/C.
Hi Riley. Thanks for that info. You are correct. I guess I got a little mixed up in reading the various threads on the different odours this vehicle seems to randomly produce.

Peter

Sometimes Lysol Spray Disinfectant can work. Spay near the floorboards where the recirc a/c intakes are and maybe outside up front near the cowl where the fresh air intakes are.

Help!

Hi kman1202.

I would like to see how I can assist. Can you please PM me your name, phone number, VIN, mileage, and dealer info? I'll look into this for you. :)

Ashley

We have had the Gray Ghost in twice for the A/C smell. The first time, the smell came back after a few days. A week or so later, we dropped it off again and they used a newer, stronger treatment on it. Hopefully it works. That was Monday, so we will keep our fingers crossed. The service representative indicated that a number of owners were experiencing this issue. Some had it, and it was a challenge to get rid of, and others had no problems at all. Hit or miss they said.

I'm having this issue too, and they've replaced the cabin air filter and hit the filter housing unit twice with some enzyme stuff - but my car still stinks when I turn it on. Has anyone been successful in getting rid of this?

My AC smells like mold at startup

And the dealer says this is normal and not a warranty issue.

I hate this vehicle and this company more and more each day.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

9 months and 15,000 miles, and it already stinks. By the time I get to 50,000 I'm going to have legionnaires disease and be near death.

Back