BWM Brown Wire Mod 3rd Gen | Page 22 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

BWM Brown Wire Mod 3rd Gen

Finally did this. I've got to be the biggest procrastinator there is. Glad I did it, only took about 45 minutes and most of that was me being **** about running the wires and double checking I had right brown wire with a light tester. Took it out and tried it in some loose dirt. Works as posted. Very cool.

Brian

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Finally did this. I've got to be the biggest procrastinator there is.

Brian

Nice. :eek::thumbsup: But you're going to have to get behind me in line. :p:

Rondo I might me in contention for worst as well. It took me an entire semester one time to finally go buy the book. And yes I am still nervous about doing this. Maybe if I had my switch location chosen it would pressure me more.

I put my switch in the middle section of the black thing (fake switches) on right side of stereo. Like OP said in first post, it's easily replaced. When I finally get some off road lights for front area and decide where and how to mount them, I'll put same kind of switch just above BWM switch, same for auxiliary reverse lights, just below.

Rondo I might me in contention for worst as well. It took me an entire semester one time to finally go buy the book. And yes I am still nervous about doing this. Maybe if I had my switch location chosen it would pressure me more.

I have my fog light switch here:

FogLightSwitchLocationCustom.jpg

I'm thinking of relocating it here along with the, not installed yet, switches for the BWM & DRLs:

FogLightSwitchLocation-NewCustom.jpg

I have the luxury of the message center so I have all those switches. I'm wanting to put my switches in the overhead console like an aircraft ****pit. The only problem is I don't like to hurt my car so I don't cut anything till I have a spare. I had a spare steering wheel tilt key before doing that mod. I'm just weird I guess. :dunno:

I have the luxury of the message center so I have all those switches. I'm wanting to put my switches in the overhead console like an aircraft ****pit. The only problem is I don't like to hurt my car so I don't cut anything till I have a spare. I had a spare steering wheel tilt key before doing that mod. I'm just weird I guess. :dunno:

I know what you mean. I have a back-up radio bezel.

So, let me get this straight. You guys all have 4x4 X's and you prefer 2x4 and this is the sole purpose of the "brown wire mod"?

No, we prefer to decide when we want 4x4 rather than a computer deciding for us. Don't know about others but the Auto 4x4 has caused me to have close calls. Nothing like trying to anticipate what your truck is going to do on ice and having the Ex throw you a sudden curve ball

No, we prefer to decide when we want 4x4 rather than a computer deciding for us. Don't know about others but the Auto 4x4 has caused me to have close calls. Nothing like trying to anticipate what your truck is going to do on ice and having the Ex throw you a sudden curve ball

This and sometimes you just want to smoke the tires :burnout:

Exactly right.

It could be that other people are comfortable letting the computer decide but I'd prefer to turn it on and off as needed.

Plus, there's a few stories of people ruining equipment because the 4x4 is stuck on and you don't know it, since there is no indicator light that comes on when it automatically shifts in and out of 4x4 mode. Only time the dash indicator light illuminates is when you select the 4x4 mode manually. I've never understood why Ford didn't put some kind of indicator light on the dash that comes on whenever the 4x4 is automatically activated. They do it on other vehicles to show your traction control kicks on.

Exactly right.

It could be that other people are comfortable letting the computer decide but I'd prefer to turn it on and off as needed.

Plus, there's a few stories of people ruining equipment because the 4x4 is stuck on and you don't know it, since there is no indicator light that comes on when it automatically shifts in and out of 4x4 mode. Only time the dash indicator light illuminates is when you select the 4x4 mode manually. I've never understood why Ford didn't put some kind of indicator light on the dash that comes on whenever the 4x4 is automatically activated. They do it on other vehicles to show your traction control kicks on.

I did my BWM with a lighted switch so when it's not on, I can see the light get brighter and dimmer when the 4x4 control module tries to engage

My reason, The drive shaft bearing in my fwd diferential needs to be replaced, i don't have the time, money, or the ability to lose my vehicle for the couple of days it'll take me to rip it apart. but durring the spring when i can bike into work, different story, so one cliped wire and i can delay an moderate issue, i'll finish the mod and rebuild the diferential in april.

Nothing like turing a corner and your car sounding like it's going to shear in half.

So what is the brown wire mod again? lol just kidding. Ive gone through all 22 pages now and I have one question that wasnt covered and is probably stupid. If Im in 2WD and want to go back to 4x4 auto. Is that something I can do while moving or do I need to be stopped/neutral? Thank you

You don't need to be stopped and in neutral - the only time when the vehicle needs to be stopped and in neutral is when the transfer case is being shifted between HI and LO range (or visa versa) as this process involves a gear ratio change.

I usually try to be off the throttle when I re-engage the 4x4. I've been afraid to flip the switch while the back tires are spinning like crazy. Not exactly sure what would happen :dunno:

In theory it shouldn't mess anything up switching it back while driving because it does almost the same thing when it's already in auto 4x4. I doubt I'll need to flip it back while driving but I just wanted assurance but I'm with you kazer, lll make sure to take it easy if I do need to switch back.

I have a 05 x and i thought this mod was factory installed in the center consule.. ?? Am I right or wrong. If I am wrong what does that button do.?

I have a 05 x and i thought this mod was factory installed in the center consule.. ?? Am I right or wrong. If I am wrong what does that button do.?

Thats your Over Drive on/off switch
when towing you usually have OD off so the trans does not go into a really low gear.
nothing to do with 4x4

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

In the console behind the junk tray there is a switch to disable the advancetrac. This might be the switch you are seeing. On my 05 the O/D disable is on the end of the shift handle.

Back