Few questions about headlights and front suspension. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Few questions about headlights and front suspension.

Lafferty

Reaction score
City, State
Rhode Island
Year, Model & Trim Level
'93 Explorer
Hey, I have searched the forum for answers to my question but I have found nothing useful. I may not have used the right keywords so forgive me if this is a repetitive thread. If I have overlooked something could you simply point me in the right direction. Thank you.

Headlight:
Ok, heres the deal. I am looking into an HID Projector upgrade for my lifted 93 Explorer XLT. I however have no idea where to start to look for the projector kits and hid kits. I do know about the oven process to remove the lenses but thats about it. Is there anyone that make the entire assembly pre fab? If not, is there anyone on the forum that does the work and sells them? Any DIY or store links would be much appreciated. Ive seen DIYs for other vehicles and other versions of the explorers but this is a boxy vehicles and I have no idea right now of how to modify other processes.

Suspension:
This is simple and straight forward. I have a front sway bar still attached. A 4 inch lift and the proper drop pitman arm. Everything seems in order except when I turn my steering wheel I can make my tires touch the frame of my truck. Is that supposed to happen? Ive never seen another truck do that. What could cause that? Will it cause my truck to fail inspection? Also, the rubber spacer on my passenger side shock is deteriorating. I figured it would affect the ride but is it an immediate necessary repair or could it be put off? What do you think will happen if it breaks off? its only like a one inch piece of rubber near the top of the shock. Thanks again.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

As far as the headlights, check here

click me

The tires rubbing on the frame or the radius arm? What size tires are they? 4 inches of lift they must be large and no doubt would rub a bit. Not necessarily a big deal if it's only at full lock.

If you have a worn out suspension bushing it would likely have to be replaced for you to pass a safety inspection.

What wheels are you using? if the backspacing is wrong it can make your tires rub even if you have the proper lift for you tires.

Would I be able to get just that bushing or would I have to buy the whole front set? And I am running with 33x10.5 inch super swampers and a four inch rough country lift. Ill check out that link now. Thanks again.

I'm not sure about the availability of that bushing, they come with new shocks. If it's worn out then I'd be wondering about the state of the shock. Check at Napa etc, they might have one kicking around if you can't get it separate.

Thanks, Wood1. And that link shed alot of light on my headlight issue. No pun intended. I wanted bixenon headlights so that I would still have high beam headlights to pass inspection. I dont like the idea of having one setting headlights. So it looks like the projector idea is out because of one of the threads under that link. I dont understand why projectors dont allow a high beam option though. Oh well ill do more research into it. Thank you for your assistance.

What wheels are you using? if the backspacing is wrong it can make your tires rub even if you have the proper lift for you tires.

Alignment specs (caster seems to effect it more) can make the tires hit the Radius arms easier.

Also, if your running extended radius arms that mount "under" the frame instead of inside the frame like the stock ones you will hit the RA's more when turning near full lock.

Extended arms mounted under the frame. These are 12.5" wide tires on 8" rims with 3.75 BS. We had rub at full lock (less bad) with 7" rims even with the RA mounts inside the frame.
5614617325_820912a1c3.jpg

shot of drivers side front suspension by maniak_az, on Flickr

It has never hurt anything, other than take the coating off the RA.

~Mark

Maniak, I have stock RA on my truck. The tires hit just about four inchs in front of where your RA is mounted. Id say maybe even six inchs. Who knows. Its cold and im busy so itll be a few day before I cv an take a look. Thanks for all the help guys, youre very polite and helpful people. Glad to be part of this community. Im in RI, if yall are in the area and need any hands on help just let me know. And anything else yall can pm. Thank you all.

The rubber bushings I am looking for are on the top of the shock towers. I found a set on autozone's website but they are called control arm bushings. Is there a difference. Heres the link to the control arm bushings: http://www.autozone.com/autozone/parts/Duralast-Control-Arm-Bushing-Front/1993-Ford-Explorer-4WD/_/N-izqtdZ8oy1l?itemIdentifier=89637_105870_4222_

Id describe the rubber bushings as upside down mushrooms with a type of metal washer. Is the shock considered a control arm on ford's ttb suspension? Thanks.

The upper shock bushing on the TTB explorer is a dorman 31012 or 31018. Its been a while so I cant remember which. The metal around the ushing is a washer and isnt part of the bushing. I have also just used energy suspension poly shock bushings before.

~Mark

The upper shock bushing on the TTB explorer is a dorman 31012 or 31018. Its been a while so I cant remember which. The metal around the ushing is a washer and isnt part of the bushing. I have also just used energy suspension poly shock bushings before.

~Mark

Mark, thank you very much. Ill trackbit down and let you know which number it is.

Mark, I looked at both. Both could be used but I ordered the 31012s. Thank for the help. You saved me quite a bit of time trying to track down the correct part and part number.

Back