03 BWM questions!!!!! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

03 BWM questions!!!!!

codypenland

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 explorer
Ok I am new to this forum as I just bought my first explorer yesterday! I need some help from you guys! I love that it is a 4x4 because I had just totaled my F150, but I do not like the auto 4x4 at all!!!! It kicks in at almost every turn and I understand it might be my tires but I want to bypass this thing! So I have looked at almost every thread, but my eyes now hurt! So here are my questions!!!:

1. I want to be able to use my 4x4 hi/lo when I press the buttons on the dash, will this mod cancel out 4x4 totally or just the auto?
2. Does anyone have any detailed pictures of how to do this?
3. Do I have to use a relay or can I just use a 12v10amp switch?

Thank you guys in advanced for answering this question. I have been to almost every "BWM" thread and I am starting to not understand cars anymore, so all help will be welcomed!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You must of missed the sticky section at the top of the page.

No need to start a new thread.

All of the info is stored on this thread:
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=194875

You can also pull the fuse under the dash if you want to disable it, but the 4x4 lights will be illuminated on the dash and 4x4 wont work. I believe fuse #19

Check your tread depth on the back, if one tire has noticeably more tread than the other it would be causing this.

Tread is measured up to 32. 32/32 being a new tire. If the tires are off by 2 it can cause this and also damage the transfer case.

Well the ignorant comment was NOT needed. I saw the sticky so Fed I thank you for your response. Whoever the second was no need for a comment to call one who has read all the BWM mods threads. Saw a lot of people withe same year explorer do different things/ways. I apologize and will close the thread in a few days!

Well the ignorant comment was NOT needed. I saw the sticky so Fed I thank you for your response. Whoever the second was no need for a comment to call one who has read all the BWM mods threads. Saw a lot of people withe same year explorer do different things/ways. I apologize and will close the thread in a few days!

Hey man don't take it personally. He just has a lot of pent up frustration that he hasn't been able to get out for a while. Stick around, most of us are really helpful.

EDIT: BTW, KAO-Con does actually know what he's talking about. And is helpful MOST of the time ;)

(EDIT: EDIT: Never mind^^^^)

Do what I did when I first joined and spend a few hours reading through a bunch of threads. You'll be amazed at the things you'll learn. And before you start a new thread on something, use the search function to see if it has been discussed already. If it has, post there. It makes it easier to find answers when you need them.

Hey man don't take it personally. He just has a lot of pent up frustration that he hasn't been able to get out for a while. Stick around, most of us are really helpful.

Brian is right. Stick around. It will be we'll worth the ride!!!

Im still around and I dont even have an Ex anymore lol.. But all you need to do is splice a switch into the brown wire thats it.

Back