2002 4x4 problems | Page 11 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2002 4x4 problems

today i checked the brown wire for voltage i had a reading of 3.91 on my meter is the norm or should it be 12v is there any way to wire it with a switch ? i have also ruled out any fuses thanks for any input

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Well, looks like my luck ran out. My wife's 2002 XLS lost its 4WD a couple days ago. Two years ago, I posted on here that it went out..tried the battery reset and it worked like a charm for 2 years. Not this time. Tried the same battery reset and nothing.

I checked the 20 amp fuses in the main distribution box under the hood and they were OK. Dropped one in the process and it went through a hole in the top of the box and inside the box itself. I ended up taking the box out and separating the two halves to get it out. What a freeking job! While I was in there, I found two wires that had chaffed themselves bare from rubbing all these years. I taped over the bare spots and put everything back together. Tried the battery reset again and nothing. I haven't checked the fuses in the passenger compartment yet, but I'm not expecting to find them blown. Looks like new module time.

Why does Rock Auto call it a modulator valve and not a 4WD CM? It's a Motorcraft Part.
{#1L2Z7E453A, TM117} Auto Trans Modulator Valve

Why does Rock Auto call it a modulator valve and not a 4WD CM? It's a Motorcraft Part.
{#1L2Z7E453A, TM117} Auto Trans Modulator Valve

I guess nobody knows!

How about this one... Will a bad module cause a battery to go dead?

i read the book. u need 2 put the shift into neutral, press the breake in/down then press the 4x4 button. if all is working the lil lite on the left side of the control panel will lite-up. u r now in 4x4 high/4x4 low/.i had the same problem til i read the book. mine is a 2002 exploder 4x4 auto. good luck.

i had a problem all year, that turned out to be a connection between the engine and the firewall. anyway; on the way to discovery, i burned up [2] batteries. wat happens is the exploder throws u into LIMP MODE!? yes! u run on the battery,go 20mph, and u will barely git home if not at all. probably not a module, and it will show as a check engine light. git a reader cheap frum alibaba.com.good luck.

Well looks like I'm in the club now too.

Anyway, Mine is a Vin E 2002 early build xlt, bw4411. About a month ago I changed out a bad rear abs sensor in the diff which was I believe was causing the slight windup on hard turns I was experiencing sometimes in auto4. I thought it was all fine until a snow storm last week proved I have no 4x4 in any mode. The dash lights come on as they are supposed to, and It shifts into 2 low fine. Fuses checked out good on the meter. The brown wire has power and there are no codes from the 4x4 system. T-case fluid looks fine, (case is only 20k miles old). I am going to try the battery reset and hope for the best.

My big question is; would a bad control module throw codes or even be able to talk to a code scanner if it was shot?

i read the book. u need 2 put the shift into neutral, press the breake in/down then press the 4x4 button. if all is working the lil lite on the left side of the control panel will lite-up. u r now in 4x4 high/4x4 low/.i had the same problem til i read the book. mine is a 2002 exploder 4x4 auto. good luck.

You only have to be in neutral with your foot on teh brake to shift into 4WD high. You can shift into 4WD low anytime....even on the fly.

You only have to be in neutral with your foot on the brake to shift into 4WD high. You can shift into 4WD low anytime....even on the fly.

I think you have that backwards Ejectr. You can NEVER shift into 4 low on the go in any vehicle! 4 high can be engaged while moving . That is what the 4 auto does when the truck senses loss of readend traction.

Probably just a typo but good to point out none the less. I know a guy who got that one wrong on the trail one day, it was followed by a very loud bang...:scratch:

I think you have that backwards Ejectr. You can NEVER shift into 4 low on the go in any vehicle! 4 high can be engaged while moving . That is what the 4 auto does when the truck senses loss of readend traction.

Ooops...typo. I knew that.

Got module from Rock Auto and replaced. Another 2002 Explorer 4WD problem fixed. Don't know why the battery reset gave it two more years of life when it quit last time.

ejectr: dude, u CANNOT shift anything into 4x4 low at any speed. the book sez, it onlie used for towin,gitin outa mud, or sum other heavy liftin. it is not recomended to shift to 4x4 high at any speed. stop the vehicle,put in neytral,foot on brake,and wait 4 the light to show u r in 4x4 high. wen u r dun with 4x4 high u can push auto 4 at any sped. careful with this stuff, it alls go BANG!

Well looks like I'm in the club now too.

Anyway, Mine is a Vin E 2002 early build xlt, bw4411. About a month ago I changed out a bad rear abs sensor in the diff which was I believe was causing the slight windup on hard turns I was experiencing sometimes in auto4. I thought it was all fine until a snow storm last week proved I have no 4x4 in any mode. The dash lights come on as they are supposed to, and It shifts into 2 low fine. Fuses checked out good on the meter. The brown wire has power and there are no codes from the 4x4 system. T-case fluid looks fine, (case is only 20k miles old). I am going to try the battery reset and hope for the best.

My big question is; would a bad control module throw codes or even be able to talk to a code scanner if it was shot?

truckles; thanks 4 the query, hers wat i got. rechk the abs install, for tight,workin, was it really the problem? a code will show 4 this problem. all 4x4 problems can START WITH THE Tranny sensors cuz they r all connected to the engine performance program. if the battery is runin down u r in limp mode. its in your book. eventually i read that all the o2sensors r also connected o the shift/4x4 controller. good luck.

ejectr: dude, u CANNOT shift anything into 4x4 low at any speed. the book sez, it onlie used for towin,gitin outa mud, or sum other heavy liftin. it is not recomended to shift to 4x4 high at any speed. stop the vehicle,put in neytral,foot on brake,and wait 4 the light to show u r in 4x4 high. wen u r dun with 4x4 high u can push auto 4 at any sped. careful with this stuff, it alls go BANG!

You might want to re-read your post. I think you meant to say "low" where you said "high".

Just want to be sure anyone else coming along to read this isn't confused.

4x4 Low--You must be stopped.

4x4 High--You can shift into and out at speed.

truckles; thanks 4 the query, hers wat i got. rechk the abs install, for tight,workin, was it really the problem? a code will show 4 this problem. all 4x4 problems can START WITH THE Tranny sensors cuz they r all connected to the engine performance program. if the battery is runin down u r in limp mode. its in your book. eventually i read that all the o2sensors r also connected o the shift/4x4 controller. good luck.

Interesting, I had no idea about the o2 sensors, but those are in good order according to the scanner. As for the shaft sensors in the trans, they are all brand new as of 10k miles ago when I had a full rebuild put in, and seem to be working but I haven't tested them. According to the pinpoint test in the shop book the abs sensor was definitely bad, and the new one is working. One thing I also remembered is that around the same time I lost my cruise control, and there is "speed control unable to control speed" code, but I didn't think this was relevant to the 4x4 at the time

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hey guys. I'm having issues with my four wheel drive that I haven't. Had any luck with fixing. I've tried everything but change the transfer case out and still have no 4wd. The module is good and the shift motor is good. Have any of you guys had to have your transfer case rebuilt or another one put in?

Back