Bad or Burnt Exhaust smell in cabin during hard acceleration. | Page 30 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Has anyone heard of, found, or experienced a solution to the Ford Explorer exhaust issue?

• Total voters
Both cause and solution are in this thread. Exhaust fumes are being pulled in on some Explorers through the rear vents. See post #502 for a link to the solution.
Are you having the same problem with your '98 Mountaineer?

Peter

No, I would like to get a new explorer (or a couple) for my business . . . but not if they smell.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

No, I would like to get a new explorer (or a couple) for my business . . . but not if they smell.

Take it from someone who has a terrible 2013. Don't buy one, go look at the Pathfinders or something similar.............

I believe that the 'smell', although indicated as a design flaw, only affects a small number of vehicles for some reason and there is a TSB out to address that. Most of us have, thankfully, not had the unpleasant issue arise, yet.
Also, there a few members who, because of their experience with their particular vehicle, have nothing positive to say about the Explorer. That is certainly understandable but also highly unfair to 'paint all model with the same brush' so to speak. That vast majority of owners are very happy with their vehicles as many posts have indicated.
In the end it is always the buyer's opinion that counts.

Peter

My first post.....be kind!

My 2012 XLT developed the smell last month (DEC 2012). We have about 15,000 miles on it and at first it was a "whiff of propane" smell. After a trip to the dealer for other issues* the dealer mentioned that Ford wanted him to change the "cooling strategy". When I got it back the interior smelled funny but I thought is was the leather cleaner and ignored it. The next day the smell remained and when the defroster or heater was on it was more noticable. Two days later my wife was taking it to Maryland and got no further than 15 miles from home when she called me saying the car smells really bad and is hesitating (slightly) up hills. She took it straight to our dealer. He said they have this TSB (rear exhaust fix) they want to try. I told him I am not confident that it will help but what do I know. I did insist that they take it on a long drive to get the operating temp up and run the heater/defroster. They did all that and guess what. Smell remains stronger than ever inside and out. No one has an answer yet but now he is talking about getting a Ford Field Service Engineer involved. They still have the XLT (10 days and counting). The dealer has been great by the way. I feel bad when I can't honestly answer the survey as "completely satisfied" because I'm not. We also have a 2011 5.0 6-speed Mustang and a 2002 Sport Trac. Great vehicles. After finding this forum and reading others theories I am getting concerned. EGR system problem? Exhaust gas in the cabin? Unburned fuel? Is this the vehicle I want to put my family in?
Anyway, that's my adventure. I have faith that they will figure it out. I just hope they do it soon.

*other issues: 1.the rear hatch was not mounted evenly- with the hatch closed I could put my little finger between the drivers side tail lens and the hatch almost to the first knuckle but the other side had no more than a 1/8" gap. 2. My iPhone and SYNC won't work together for text messaging.

I got my 2011 Explorer in July 2011 on order from the factory. It had the smell on acceleration from day one. It has continued until I took it in for the tsb Jan. 2 (around 25,000 miles). The smell was worse in summer with air on and recirculation mode, but could still be noticed at times in the winter. Since the tsb, I have not noticed the smell. Even my wife has not noticed it and she always did before me. So hopefully it is fixed - summer will tell.
Let's see: A-Pillar noise - fixed
Rain noise on roof - fixed
Oily lines on front side windows - fixed
Noise from glove box - fixed (did it myself with a piece of electrical tape - it's on the inside of the door opposite the light switch)
SYNC - ? up-to-date, but not as promised, best update yet, though
I'm running out of reasons to not like my ex. so I guess I love it (now).

I was told by my dealership over a month ago that the parts were ordered. I called last week and still no parts? Don't know what the deal is with that. I have been patient though. This Explorer now has over 100,000 miles. It would be nice to finally get rid of this pesky situation. My company will be ordering me another Explorer soon. I won't see it until March or April. Can't wait to start all over..............

....After finding this forum and reading others theories I am getting concerned. EGR system problem? Exhaust gas in the cabin? Unburned fuel? Is this the vehicle I want to put my family in?
Anyway, that's my adventure. I have faith that they will figure it out. I just hope they do it soon...

Hi Hazegray,

I want to get your regional customer service manager involved by escalating your case. Send me a PM with your VIN, dealer, mileage, daytime phone number, and full name; I'll get your info into the right hands.

I got my 2011 Explorer in July 2011 on order from the factory. It had the smell on acceleration from day one. It has continued until I took it in for the tsb Jan. 2 (around 25,000 miles). The smell was worse in summer with air on and recirculation mode, but could still be noticed at times in the winter. Since the tsb, I have not noticed the smell...

Great news, doinit10! I'm glad to hear that your dealership took care of this for you. :thumbsup:

I was told by my dealership over a month ago that the parts were ordered. I called last week and still no parts? Don't know what the deal is with that. I have been patient though. This Explorer now has over 100,000 miles. It would be nice to finally get rid of this pesky situation. My company will be ordering me another Explorer soon. I won't see it until March or April. Can't wait to start all over..............

Hi Dwr4door,

I responded to your PM to address this concern. Please let me know if you have any questions.

Thanks!

Crystal

Money Back + Damages

My wife and children have been riding around in this death trap of a car, breathing exhaust fumes for 1.5 years now. Finally, Ford comes up with a fix. They used to just tell me I was crazy when I complained about an exhaust smell upon acceleration.

I want my money back for the car, and damages for the health problems associated with breathing exhaust for 1.5 years in an enclosed space. Anybody know the best way to get those things (maybe a good lawyer)?

Unfortunately, after owning several Ford products, we will never buy one again. On top of this issue, the Exploder is at the dealer for 9 other TSBs and other problems. What a terrible car. How could you even build such a piece of **** and sell it to a customer?

My wife and children have been riding around in this death trap of a car, breathing exhaust fumes for 1.5 years now. Finally, Ford comes up with a fix. They used to just tell me I was crazy when I complained about an exhaust smell upon acceleration.

I want my money back for the car, and damages for the health problems associated with breathing exhaust for 1.5 years in an enclosed space. Anybody know the best way to get those things (maybe a good lawyer)?

Unfortunately, after owning several Ford products, we will never buy one again. On top of this issue, the Exploder is at the dealer for 9 other TSBs and other problems. What a terrible car. How could you even build such a piece of **** and sell it to a customer?

BLariat, WHEN I COMES TO THE AUTO INDUSTRY IS HARD TO SUE, WHEN THE HAVE THE CHANCE TO FIX THINGS, THE FUMES WERE NOT TO THE POINT THAT WAS HARMFUL AND IT WASNT LIKE IT WAS ALL THE TIME, UNLESS YOU OR WHO EVER DRIVE THE BEAUTIFUL REDESIGN EXPLORER GUNS IT EVERY TIME YOU TAKE OFF. I OWN ONE AND I LOVE IT THIS IS MY 5TH FORD I DONT THINK FORD WILL LET A VEHICLE BE DRIVEN. ITS SAD WHAT YOU GOING THRU BUT I DOUGHT THERE IS ANY DIFFERENCE BETWEEN THE AIR YOU BREATH IN OUR SURROUNDINGS. GOOD LUCK !!!

I want my money back for the car, and damages for the health problems associated with breathing exhaust for 1.5 years in an enclosed space. Anybody know the best way to get those things (maybe a good lawyer)?...

Hi BLariat,

I want to get your case escalated to your regional customer service manager. To get started, please send me a PM with your VIN, dealer, mileage, daytime phone number, and full name. Please be advised that if you have already retained the services of an attorney, I'll be unable to assist as all communication must occur through our legal department.

Crystal

Crystal,

The case already exists, and Steve DuRocher has been "helping" me with it. I am really just looking for a way to get rid of the POS, but I don't think my pocket book is the only one that should be punished for Ford making a piece of **** product. We were planning on keeping this Explorer until the wheels fell off. The way it was built, that probably isn't long off.

My plan of action is:
1. Talk to the management at the dealership
2. Talk to Steve DuRocher
3. If #1 and #2 fail, talk to a lawyer

Now that the Explorer is at the dealership, they keep on adding days to how long they need to fix all of the issues. They are saying they can't reproduce some of the other problems, or saying they don't exist (which is exactly why I am so mad about this problem in the first place... letting my family ride around in pollution for 1.5+ years!). Ford's customer service is so unbelievably customer focused that they actually believe that I would make up problems with the car so that they can have it in their repair shop more. Yes, I am done with this company, and everyone I know will hear about it, several times.

We have also owned several Ford products, but all the troubles with our 2013 Explorer EcoBoost has totally turned us away from Ford !!!!! We also will nerver buy one again, ever, period.

Can someone give me the TSB # for the fix on this problem???.. I spoke to the Regional CSM for this area today and lo and behold he couldn't seem to find it. The dealers can't manage to replicate the smell and until they can, nothing can be done apparently.

can someone give me the tsb # for the fix on this problem???.. I spoke to the regional csm for this area today and lo and behold he couldn't seem to find it. The dealers can't manage to replicate the smell and until they can, nothing can be done apparently.

12 12 4

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I think they think they figured it out!

Well tomorrow I go pick up my XLT.

The Field service engineer authorized a sequence of replacements (I don't know all of them). As soon as they went to drain/replace the "PTU" fluid the stink nearly cleared out the service bays. The stink was so bad the other service guys wanted to build an outdoor lift for my XLT. They couldn't even open the doors because of the weather.

My service team leader thinks that what I was smelling was just a small amount of fluid that escaped through the vent. They examined the fluid and found some flakes of metal (I don't know how much) and decided to replace the entire unit.

He wants me to drive it normally and if I get another whiff he wants me to bring it in right away so they can sample the "PTU" fluid.

My experience with my dealer has been nothing like the nightmares others on this thread have had. Their approach has always been "we will work with you until you are happy".

Besides...the rental was a Lincoln MKZ (no Sirius!).

I will post again after a few weeks to let you know if it returns. I am glad I listened to my wife and got an extended warranty.

Back