Aftermarket Sport Exhaust Thread

DustySport

Reaction score
City, State
A Bankrupt State
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 Explorer Sport
Hi Folks,

I want to start an aftermarket exhaust discussion for the Explorer Sport, so here goes.

After looking at several aftermarket performance exhaust manufactures including Borla, Stainless Works, Flowmaster and MagnaFlow for a cat-back system only MagnaFlow offers one currently, their part number is 15218. Here are the details on the MagnaFlow cat-back exhaust for the 2013
Explorer Sport http://www.magnaflow.com/02product/displayapplications.asp?partnumber=15218, I believe the retail price for the system is $750.00 plus freight, although I have not confirmed this price yet. MagnaFlow is currently out of stock on this system and they're estimating it will be back in stock on apx. 2/15/2013.

Here are a couple of videos on the MagnaFlow cat-back exhaust for the Explorer Sport:

I am aware that there are other ways of going about this, any good exhaust shop can install a set of performance mufflers, I have consulted my local exhaust shop and they said they could install Flowmaster mufflers on the rear using the stock tips, they quoted me $270-$300 to do this which includes the mufflers. My local shop also suggested removing the middle muffler/resonator to liven it up, which I had them do for $60, replacing the middle
muffler with straight pipes. It did liven it up a bit and I can hear the turbos spooling up now and it did not add any noticeable drone, but I quickly knew
it wasn't the end-result that I'm looking for which is what you see/hear in the first video above. Here's what it looks like without the middle muffler:

image_zps474db857.jpg

With the above said, I'd like to do the following with this discussion:

1) Explore options of what people have done or are planning on doing to modify their exhaust.
2) Discuss warranty issues (I'm not aware of any with installing aftermarket cat-back/sensor-back exhaust systems, but we should discuss it just in case...)
3) Discuss pricing & performance of different set-ups.
4) For those interested, discuss a group buy with the MagnaFlow system being the candidate, which would go hand-in-hand with finding a MagnaFlow retailer to facilitate
a group buy(I'm fairly certain MagnaFlow does not sell direct).

So let's go :D

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thanks for the post. I am interested in this as well. I am considering CAI and CAT-Back aftermarket upgrades to improve sound and performance.

I think we should also add as a topic, what the ramifications of these aftermarket modifications will be on performance. I thought I saw that early reports on the CAI, that there might have been issues. Perhaps the XSport needs a tune after these modifications to maximize the improvements?

Looking forward to the discussion

I don't know how much the system is going to change, but Performance Peddler gave us a group buy price before (http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=329302&highlight=magnaflow). I think that it may even still be active for the 3.5L NA

Thanks for that, I just sent an email to Performance Peddler asking about a group buy, I'm waiting for a reply.

Thanks for the post. I am interested in this as well. I am considering CAI and CAT-Back aftermarket upgrades to improve sound and performance.

I think we should also add as a topic, what the ramifications of these aftermarket modifications will be on performance. I thought I saw that early reports on the CAI, that there might have been issues. Perhaps the XSport needs a tune after these modifications to maximize the improvements?

Looking forward to the discussion

Very good point about the tune that I missed, thanks! Yes, let's go over the effects to the tune with a cat-back exhaust installed, if I remember correct, it will effect the tune slightly, and most certainly will effect the tune with a CAI installed. For optimal engine performance, and safety, the air-to-fuel ratio should be checked (and adjusted if necessary) after installing aftermarket bolt-on performance parts.

CAI doesn't seem to need a tune. The cat back will as the F150 needs a tune after the exhaust.
I wouldn't just want new mufflers wielded in. I would want the bigger pipes all the way back.

Morning Folks,

Performance Peddler got back to me with group pricing for the MagnaFlow cat-back kit (part # 15218),

> For just 1 exhaust, $564.04
> For 2-5 exhaust, $552.76
> For 6-10 Exhausts - $541.48
> 10+ Exhausts - $535.48

* Pricing includes freight within the continental USA. Extra internationally,
Alaska, Hawaii, etc.
* Nevada residents will have to pay 8.6% sales tax.
* MagnaFlow advised them that their XSport cat-back kits will be ready to ship on February 22nd.

So who's is interested in participating in this group buy?

I would like to see some dyno numbers with and without a tune before I could actually consider this.

Us Canadians will get shafted on shipping, taxes, duties, brokerage fees, taxes on brokerage fees, etc... you name it. Got to find a Canadian distributor willing to participate in a group buy...

Hi guys, I've been lurking around on here for a few weeks now as my Explorer just arrived. Just wondering if anything has come from the group buy on the #15218 as I've been looking at ordering one through Summit and their price is $647 shipped and they are currently out of stock. Anyway if there are any furthering rumbling I would be interested in hearing them, if not I will likely just order from Summit as either way I have to get it sent to the US and go down and pay taxes.

I've had my cai and magnaflow on for almost 5 months with no issues. I'm assuming a tune would simply maximize these mods. Drivability has not changed at all. Dealer knows it's been done too!

Hi guys, I've been lurking around on here for a few weeks now as my Explorer just arrived. Just wondering if anything has come from the group buy on the #15218 as I've been looking at ordering one through Summit and their price is $647 shipped and they are currently out of stock. Anyway if there are any furthering rumbling I would be interested in hearing them, if not I will likely just order from Summit as either way I have to get it sent to the US and go down and pay taxes.

I thought this thread was dead...

I'll call Performance Peddler and see if they can get a couple of these Magnaflow kits for you and I, Azazell64.

EDIT:

OK, Performance Peddler says Magnaflow shows 10 of these kits in stock today 3/1/13, the pricing I posted above is still good.

Who is in for this buy right now?

Hi, everyone! I just bought a 2014 Explorer Limited with the 3.5L V6 2 weeks ago. I already have new Dee Zee NXC running boards. By the way, they look awesome! I highly recommend them.

Believe it or not, my wife; yes my wife, wants an aftermarket exhaust. :thumbsup: Can anyone suggest a good brand? I was reading the post about the Magnaflow cat back system, it doesn't seem to me to be a very good one. I found a Gibson system online, is that any good? I don't want it to sound like a fart can.

I am a Flowmaster guy. I have a 40 series Flowmaster cat back on my F-150 and I love the sound. Is there a system for them yet?

I don't want to break the bank either on a good system.

Thanks, guys!

Bumping this back up as its also something i'm thinking about. :). Anyone? Bueller?

Hi. I have a new 2014 Explorer Sport and am wondering if anyone has changed over their mufflers, and if so, what they suggest.

I had a Tahoe with a V8 and the aftermarket exhaust I installed gave it a real throaty rumble. I know I won't get that out of this V6 turbo explorer, but I don't want one of those high pitched bumble bee sounds either.

I want something that says, 'ya, that thing isn't stock'. It already turns heads (Ford has come a long way with this model).

Thank you very much for any advice.

I see you are new so welcome to the forum. Please do a search or just go into the modified section of the forum. Tons of posts about your question.

'14 Explorer Sport exhaust

Hi. I have a new 2014 Explorer Sport and am wondering if anyone has changed over their mufflers, and if so, what they suggest.

I had a Tahoe with a V8 and the aftermarket exhaust I installed gave it a real throaty rumble. I know I won't get that out of this V6 turbo explorer, but I don't want one of those high pitched bumble bee sounds either.

I want something that says, 'ya, that thing isn't stock'. It already turns heads (Ford has come a long way with this model).

Welcome to the Forum joeyg5201.:wavey:
As blwnsmoke mentioned, there are a few posts on this subject in the 'Modified' forum and I will move your post there.

Peter

Flowmaster Super 44s and removal of the resonator, will be completed on my 2014 Sport in the near future. No performance gain but should achieve the sound that I am after.

Silverstallion: Follow-up

Thanks for your reply. So my follow-up to that is:

1. is the sound you are after more throaty and pronounced - not high pitched and whiny, and

2. do these modifications void the warranty on the vehicle?

Thanks again.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thanks for your reply. So my follow-up to that is:

1. is the sound you are after more throaty and pronounced - not high pitched and whiny, and

2. do these modifications void the warranty on the vehicle?

Thanks again.
As for question #2 , here is a part of what your Warranty Guide states;

WHAT IS NOT COVERED?
Ford Motor Company may deny you emissions warranty coverage if your
vehicle or a part does not contain an emissions-related defect or has
failed because of abuse, neglect, improper maintenance, unapproved
modifications, or any items included in What Is Not Covered?, pages
12-15.

Although I'm not positive, I think that use of 'after market' parts used for modifications will only void the warranty on those parts or possible other OEM parts if their failure can be contributed to the use of those 'after market' parts/mods. I do not believe it voids the entire factory warranty on the vehicle.

Peter

Peter

Back