3rd Row Power Button cover / disable switch needed | Page 4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

3rd Row Power Button cover / disable switch needed

Ford does not use the "Quality is Job One" slogan anymore....I made a mistake buying a 2013 and it shows up about everyday......best regards Plum

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The 2013 switches are slightly recessed but it is not a huge improvement. They really should have designed it where you needed to hold the button down the whole time while it is moving...and maybe a switch to toggle it off permanently.

I did notice though in the 2013 that the switch is inoperable while the rear gate is closed

I realize this is an old thread but I thought I would ask if there has been any resolution from Ford on this issue. Yesterday we had a car full of family (kids in the back) and I was moving some items around in the cargo area when I bumped the switch that caused the whole thing to try to collapse. Kids were in the back and the damn thing literally squished them up against the second seats... Tears, screaming all sorts of hell broke loose. Luckily I was able to grab the head rests as they were going over - and literally ripped the whole seat backwards and broke it off the mechanism. This is a big problem, and I demand to know what ford is going to do about it. If it was my wife and not me, who knows how the kids would have got out of there???
This has happened in the past with luggage, but now that kids are involved I think this is a recall issue - very poor design.
I commend your ideas on an override switch, but that shouldn't be needed - how about the seats reverse when you simply push the opposite button for which it is trying to do a the time of the issue?
Ridiculous and unacceptable engineering. I guess when they dumped Volvo all the safety minds left too huh?
We'll see what the dealer says on monday...
Welcome to the Forum jmdavispdx.:wavey:
It is unfortunate that this had to be your first post. I'm glad that no one was hurt and only shaken up a bit.
This problem was first identified when the 2011 model came out. That problem still exists so I guess that answers your concern; "what Ford is going to do about it." .....Nothing.:thumbdwn:

Peter

I realize this is an old thread but I thought I would ask if there has been any resolution from Ford on this issue. Yesterday we had a car full of family (kids in the back) and I was moving some items around in the cargo area when I bumped the switch that caused the whole thing to try to collapse. Kids were in the back and the damn thing literally squished them up against the second seats... Tears, screaming all sorts of hell broke loose. Luckily I was able to grab the head rests as they were going over - and literally ripped the whole seat backwards and broke it off the mechanism. This is a big problem, and I demand to know what ford is going to do about it. If it was my wife and not me, who knows how the kids would have got out of there???
This has happened in the past with luggage, but now that kids are involved I think this is a recall issue - very poor design.
I commend your ideas on an override switch, but that shouldn't be needed - how about the seats reverse when you simply push the opposite button for which it is trying to do a the time of the issue?
Ridiculous and unacceptable engineering. I guess when they dumped Volvo all the safety minds left too huh?

Hi jmdavispdx,

I want to touch base with you and see how things went at your dealership. Additionally, I want to arrange for your regional customer service manager to call you. To get started, send me a PM with your VIN, dealer, mileage, daytime phone number, and full name. I'll get to work on your case.

Thanks,

Crystal

I had some Costco tortilla chips get jammed up in my powerfolding seats and they did not sustain any damage. I can see how scary it would be if my chips were replaced with my children though.... There should at least be an update that will stop the seats if you push the button again.

I had some Costco tortilla chips get jammed up in my powerfolding seats and they did not sustain any damage. I can see how scary it would be if my chips were replaced with my children though.... There should at least be an update that will stop the seats if you push the button again.

If you press an opposite button it will work - so if you had hit stow or fold, you could hit Normal (or whatever it is called). Still kindof hard to think about that in the spur of the moment when the seats are squashing your children...

Go with my easy fix. Random cover and duct tape underneath. Tape wears out every 3 months, 5 cents later good as new.

IMAG0355.jpg

I too had this problem multiple times.

I was thinking of doing the same thing you did gpzrider! I will do that now actually! haha! macgyver style!

When I first posted that picture people complained because the little cover was grey. So I painted it black. It works really well but if you hit it with a large heavy object of course going to fly off. Fends off full grocery bags and boxes really well.

I had this happen to me over the weekend and one time earlier. It seems the motors are set for a certain pressure point before they return to original position. I'm guessing....Ford planned for this and made the pressure point well before the gears or motors would fail? My fix has been to grab the seat manually until that pressure point is reached and the seat reverses. Sucks though as i'm sure 2014+ will have a better solution for this. They should have a cover, recessed or as someone mentioned, a hold down time. Not a very good design right out of the gate.

I had this happen to me over the weekend and one time earlier. It seems the motors are set for a certain pressure point before they return to original position. I'm guessing....Ford planned for this and made the pressure point well before the gears or motors would fail? My fix has been to grab the seat manually until that pressure point is reached and the seat reverses. Sucks though as i'm sure 2014+ will have a better solution for this. They should have a cover, recessed or as someone mentioned, a hold down time. Not a very good design right out of the gate.
Welcome to the Forum :wavey:.
I happy to see that you are so optimistic. This design out of the gate is now 3 years old and nothing has really changed. Let's hope you are right.:)
Happy motoring.

Peter

Hey folks!

I recommend posting your suggestions at http://social.ford.com in the Your Ideas area. Once your idea is posted, come back here and post a link. Everyone can vote on it; ideas are reviewed by Ford daily.

Thanks!

Crystal

OK, so I had a guy at my shop fabricate this cover after several mishaps:

IMG_6046_zps59c5d33a.jpg

If you can convince him to fabricate more, I bet there are some willing buyers here on this forum.

Signing up to make one post with demands for ford on this website it's going to get you anywhere.

If many people are having this problem and its a safety concern, then you should report it to the NHTSA http://www.nhtsa.gov/

If they get enough incidents or complaints they will investigate and have the authority to force a fix from ford.

It would be a shame if this had to go to the NHTSA for a fix. Ford should be addressing these things on their own. That is what a good company does...

Yep, I just bought ford explorer 2014 just a week ago and I bump the switch twice already. I joined this forum to check for solution. I do not know why ford have not done anything about it. A cover will do or a master disable switch as suggested by others. Well, I might end up installing one myself (cover or switch).

There is a fuse in the engine bay compartment for the power fold seats. You could intercept the wire coming off that fuse and put a switch inline. Maybe run wires up to the dash somewhere.

Dragoneplorer12 that is a nice cover. I am buy one.....

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

:bsnicker:

Sometimes, I should listen to that little nagging thought in the back of my head telling me to shut up. :) Thanks for the reminder. I guess we are back to square one.

But wait! WE have some new information! Someone on eBay will let you commission your own "Black Velvet Masterpiece"!!!!!!! http://stores.ebay.com/Black-Velvet-Paintings

lmaoo

"joe the plumber" $250

haha

Back