Explorer Navigation Tracking Problem | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Explorer Navigation Tracking Problem

I think this is going to end up in court, because I flat out refuse to keep the car unless they can fix it.

I'm sorry you feel this way! We are aware of the issues that you're experiencing. Our team takes your feedback seriously and continuously works on improving the system. As we've already done over the past few months, we will continue to offer software updates as we improve the system.

Mine still doesn't work properly after 2 trips to the dealer. See this video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F2mmH9ozd0Y

I can't open this link.

Rebecca

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

question... will it EVER be possible that we will be able to do an update (say from 2.8 to 2.11) on our own without bringing it in???

that will be one of the best updates if possible. i mean... who wants to deal with bringing it in to the dealer just for an update?!

I'm sorry you feel this way! We are aware of the issues that you're experiencing. Our team takes your feedback seriously and continuously works on improving the system. As we've already done over the past few months, we will continue to offer software updates as we improve the system.

I can't open this link.

Rebecca

I think this is going to end up in court, because I flat out refuse to keep the car unless they can fix it.

Thats why i aint getting the i love the 2006-2010 it still feels like a car but if you want to off road you can and you dont need to worry about rocks hitting the button...new explorer i have to admit i love the design all and its good for 4x2....but i want them to add more ground clearance not decrease it and turn it into the car...hits the name "explorer" or do something like what the cherokee did where depending the setting you have on the vehicle it will adjust the vehicle ground clearance

I can't open this link.

Rebecca

It works for me, uploading it to photobucket as I type. Will edit when it's done uploading.

Edit, here it is.

th_VIDEO0039.jpg

Mine still doesn't work properly after 2 trips to the dealer. See this video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F2mmH9ozd0Y

I've got one of those videos too! I assure you am not careening thru neighborhoods as depicted on the nav screen but instead travelling along that major road at the far right of the screen.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=stPQMZlFunA

(p.s. sorry about the background music :rolleyes: )

That video was shot while we were on v2.8. We upgraded to v2.11 first week in Sept. It's peppier, but still buggy.

I just bought a new 2013 Ford Explorer (Limited edition), ordered direct from the factory. When driving with the map displayed on the screen, I notice that the arrow tracking my vehicle frequently tracks of course from the road I am driving on. This happens primarily upon turning a corner onto another street. It seems as though there is a delay in the satelite detection of my vehicle such that the arrow tracking my vehicle proceeds past the intersection that I turned at, and then corrects and turns some distance past the intersection such that the arrow resumes tracking my vehicle, but shows my vehicle driving parallel (but off track) to the road I am driving on.

Is anyone else experiencing this problem? I have tried going to SyncMyRide and installing any relevant updates. But, that has not made any difference.

I should add that if, for instance, the arrow goes off course and there are small subdivision roads visible on the map parallel to the main road that I am driving on, the arrow suddenly thinks my vehicle is driving on those subdivision roads rather than the main road I am actually driving on. It can be quite distracting/frustrating, because the map will begin to contort and rotate briefly because it thinks that my vehicle is proceeding on a curving subdivision sidestreet.

HELP!

I have experienced this problem. I took delivery of the vehicle on Nov. 20 with 3.2.2 installed. For Christmas, I drove from northern Wisconsin to Columbus OH. I had at least three areas where the system showed me off route. These included a four-lane highway in Wisconsin where it thought it was in a field, part of the Interstate system around Chicago, and a residential area in Columbus. The error occurred each time that I went through these areas.

My dealer upgraded the system to 3.5.1 last week, and I don't know whether that solved the problem. Note that you cannot yet do the 3.5.1 upgrade yourself since you have Nav. If you are still on an earlier version, either have your dealer do it or wait until the nav cards are available directly to owners, which is supposed to be later this month.

Guys,

I had the same issues some times in older versions of MFT. Since the dealer upgraded to the 3.5.1 last November, I have not experienced the issue.

As any portable GPS unit (currently own a few used in other cars that we have), satellite signal on or around city areas where tall buildings are, the signal drags and the maps and arrow go out of sync. Even this happens where there is a dense cloud coverage and prevents the antenna or GPS receiver to adequately synchronize map/speed/signal.

I understand that the issues experienced are in open areas - Interstate system or a residential area, sometimes the signal drags a bit and is difficult for the car to catch up,
but I am at lost here.

Bobby.

I am hoping that it was bad map data on the A3 card. My problem in Wisconsin happened on a rural four-lane highway. It occurred twice, six days apart and seemed to start at a county line when I was northbound. The problem in Ohio also happened in the same spot on multiple days. Neither location had obstructions, and the roads had been there for decades. I am going to start keeping the Nav screen open while driving locally to get a better idea of what is happening.

Mine does the same thing occasionally and usually does not have signal. I've lost signal on interstates in the middle of nowhere with no visible obstructions. Running 3.5.1, MFT w/ nav

Check for "No GPS" icon

I just bought a new 2013 Ford Explorer (Limited edition), ordered direct from the factory. When driving with the map displayed on the screen, I notice that the arrow tracking my vehicle frequently tracks of course from the road I am driving on...

HELP!

As others have stated this can happen when the Nav loses lock with the GPS signal or hasn't acquired it yet. I have this happen every morning. I park in a garage and my first couple of miles from home the roads are densely lined with trees. It takes a while to lock to the GPS signal and while the receiver is trying to acquire the signal the position on the map is incorrect. But there is an icon on the display, the letters GPS with a red X through them, meaning the system doesn't have lock and your position on the map will not be accurate.

Next time your issue occurs, if you can remember, check to see if this icon is present, if not then there is something else causing the issue.

Thank you to everyone for replying to my posting. Can anyone tell me what exactly the 3.5.1 update refers to? My 2013 Explorer's navigation system currently relies on the SD Card that is inserted in the SD slot. The card says that it is running version A4.

I recently came across a review of the 2011 Ford Explorer on the website for DrivingTelevision.ca. See: http://www.drivingtelevision.tv/?cid=1045

I was disappointed to hear the male reviewer at the end of the segment say that one of his dislikes about the 2011 model was the fact that the Navi system often gets delayed resulting in the driving position being off track on the screen. This appears to confirm that this problem dates all the way back to the 2011 model year. I really hope that Ford can rectify this on my 2013 by performing the 3.5.1 update some of you have described, because I find the navigation system basically useless as is.

Thank you to everyone for replying to my posting. Can anyone tell me what exactly the 3.5.1 update refers to? My 2013 Explorer's navigation system currently relies on the SD Card that is inserted in the SD slot. The card says that it is running version A4.

3.5.1 is the latest version of the MFT (My Ford Touch) software. It uses the A4 card for navigation. If you have the A4 card, you also have 3.5.1.

I'm had the same issue today and once last week. After 2 weeks of ownership this has happened the 2 times I've used navigation (I rarely use it locally) but I'm going to now keep an eye on it and see how often this occurs.

Pretty frustrating when you are trying to get somewhere and the car thinks it's off-roading or on the wrong street.

Anyone know where the GPS antenna is located?

Hi everyone. Just to update all of you, I took the Explorer to my local dealer in York Region Ontario Canada last week to attempt to diagnose/repair the Navigation issue. The dealer's techs drove the vehicle and came back saying that they've never seen a navigation system acting up this badly. They are in touch with Ford trying to figure out what to do. So, presently, I'm still up in the air. I'll keep you all posted as this further unfolds.

Please keep us posted. My nav showed that the vehicle was in Lake Superior yesterday. The navigation on my iPhone works much better.

My dealer's service department is also checking with Ford. I sent them John's description of the problem because it exactly describes the behavior of my system.

Hi everybody. I just have updated to V 3.5.1. It was a easy job and it is working fine. I got allready the nav card 4A. But something is straing, on the top right corner is always written "Information" and not "Navigation" and as soon the nav card 4A is insert i got a message.
Please look at the picture:

It would be great if i got any answere!!

Thanks
Philipp

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Did you have GPS lock?

Please keep us posted. My nav showed that the vehicle was in Lake Superior yesterday. The navigation on my iPhone works much better.

Just curious, did you notice if you had acquired GPS? Did you have the icon "GPS with a red X through it"? That means the navigation system will not know your location. Unlike my old garmin which will not show the map and vehicle location until it has acquired GPS, the Ford system tries to update the map and location while it's in acquisition mode. I think this method is not ideal as it provides wrong info about the location of the vehicle.

Nav systems on cell phones can also take advantage of your cell signal and triangulate your location between towers to help pinpoint and aid the GPS.

I believe the GPS antenna is located with the radio antenna, the foot plate plastic part. (To try to answer another question in this thread). I deal with electronic test equipment often for my job, most of the time a loose cable connection can resolve problems. I just wish we had easy access to the antenna and receiver to check if the cable is tightly connected.

I don't want to be a dick, but when people are posting about Nav issues can you try to make reference as to the state of the system, GPS acquired or not.

Back