• Register Today It's free!

Aussie Locker.

siguaw

Reaction score
City, State
Lynden, WA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 Ford Explorer 2 door
Hoping for a quick answer on this one. I have a front and a rear locker sitting in my shopping cart on the aussie locker website. I am ready to push order. I WANT THEM YESTERDAY :)! Question is: I thought I read somewhere before about needing their spring kit for the rear. 8.8 open diff,94 2 door X. Anyone know so I can get moving my direction? Thanks guys

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

LOL never mind, in the small print it says that every locker comes with the kit. ORDER PLACED!!!!! cant wait!!!

:thumbsup:I'm interested to hear what you think about having one in front

If you are putting one up front as well, I hope you have another vehicle to take into town or as a DD. One in the rear isn't too bad in the city, but front and rear will make driving around town or driving daily a task. Also be prepared to wear your tires out a little early, and rotating a lot more. Other than that, they are awesome off road! The best off road mod you can make for the money.

If you are putting one up front as well, I hope you have another vehicle to take into town or as a DD. One in the rear isn't too bad in the city, but front and rear will make driving around town or driving daily a task. Also be prepared to wear your tires out a little early, and rotating a lot more. Other than that, they are awesome off road! The best off road mod you can make for the money.
I dont understand why people always say that. I drive in town and daily with the hubs unlocked and in 2 wheel drive. You guys drive around in 4 wheel or something?

I dont understand why people always say that. I drive in town and daily with the hubs unlocked and in 2 wheel drive. You guys drive around in 4 wheel or something?
The 2nd gen platforms (excluding the early models with the vacuum-actuated CAD) do not have hub lock-outs and therefore do not have the ability to disconnect the hubs from the axle shaft - hence, the differential is always rotating and connected to the wheels.

I.C. but as stated in my original post my is a 94"1st gen" so i was confused as to why it was said. I do have manual hubs aswell

I.C. but as stated in my original post my is a 94"1st gen" so i was confused as to why it was said. I do have manual hubs aswell

Don't fret none... so long as you have the front hubs unlocked, you'll be fine. Yes, the rear is still gonna be a little "weird" when you first get to driving it with the locker on pavement, but once you get used to it, you will get the feel for how much throttle you will be able to "get away with" on dry pavement around a corner and not have the back end chirping... unless you like that sound. :D

I know when I put a front Aussie in my front D44 it was one of the most bangs for the bucks mod that I did. What a difference when doing the steep trail climbs. Just unlock the hubs for street as you know.

Seems I am in for some fun times. I dont know how long the delivery will take since they didnt give me an ETA. But when they come I will definitely let you guys know how it all worked out. been waiting for this for a long time :)

My concern would be weaving through tight trees like some of the trails on Manastash Ridge (Shoestring comes to mind) with an auto locker up front.

I think it's going to significantly reduce your turning radius, that's why I went with a select-able (ARB) plus I got a good deal on a used one.

Doing black bear was a pain with all the tight turns and an aussie locker up front-- but you can always unlock 1 hub and have a true 3 wheel drive when you are in a very tight trail-- then click-- back to 4- when you need it.

Doing black bear was a pain with all the tight turns and an aussie locker up front-- but you can always unlock 1 hub and have a true 3 wheel drive when you are in a very tight trail-- then click-- back to 4- when you need it.

This is how I wheel all the time.dont lock both till you need it.also fyi lock the driverside, then If you break something it is very easy to pull that axle out and replace it.I run stock warn manual hubs so they are first to break, I carry a spare in the truck.upgrade your ujoints and everything and make sure your clearances are correct in the locker.o and sure you know its real important you run same size, wear and air pressure in your tires.

My concern would be weaving through tight trees like some of the trails on Manastash Ridge (Shoestring comes to mind) with an auto locker up front.

I think it's going to significantly reduce your turning radius, that's why I went with a select-able (ARB) plus I got a good deal on a used one.

We have tight trails here too. It's not that horrible. Yes you can tell the locker is there so you might have to spend a bit more time getting setup on your line. Or do what I do...just throttle out and force your way though LOL

The type of trails i go on "usually back mountain areas for hunting,fishing,camping" I dont really think tight areas should be much of a problem. But i will be sure to remember the only lock one side trick. Never thought of that. These forums are a wealth of knowledge.

I got my delivery date. they should be here next week! hopefully have them installed quickly. We have a local wheeling area that is all just flat land wide trails and sticky mud. I will test it out there.
Youtube search "portal way mudpit" to see what I'm talking about

The type of trails i go on "usually back mountain areas for hunting,fishing,camping" I dont really think tight areas should be much of a problem. But i will be sure to remember the only lock one side trick. Never thought of that. These forums are a wealth of knowledge.

I got my delivery date. they should be here next week! hopefully have them installed quickly. We have a local wheeling area that is all just flat land wide trails and sticky mud. I will test it out there.
Youtube search "portal way mudpit" to see what I'm talking about

Yea if you dont think your need TRUE 4x4 which you find you rarely will need, then leave the passenger unlocked.flat wide muddy trails, lock all them and enjoy TRUE 4x4!!:D

I've had a Powertrax No Slip in the rear for 3 years and love it. Really no issues at all. Aussie went in the front a month ago. Was on extremely tight trail 2 weeks ago and it was fine. Yah, for sure you know it's in there but totally fine and no..... my arms didn't get tired steering.

Yesterday tried the ps hub unlocked thing and it drove great. Barely noticed Aussie was there at all. My concern is additional stress on ds U joint and hub etc. I will keep both locked most of the time and save the one hub unlocked for when I really need to turn tight tight.

Yah, would rather have selectable but it just wasn't in the budget. But hey...... I'm "locked" :smoke:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Looks like you need a couple more inches of ground clearance and some better tires.. but hey you made it!!!!;-)

Back