• Register Today It's free!

Sub install help

OFD

Reaction score
City, State
Maine
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 Explorer 4.6l
Im going to be installing a 15 in. kicker comp with a 200 watt crossfire amp in a 2003 ford explorer. I would like to know if I can use the stock radio or will i need to buy a aftermarket radio. I will be installing it tomorrow so i would like to know before i go ripping the explorer apart and then find out the sub wont hook up. Please let me know asap. Thanks

This is also my first time installing a sub so i dont know a whole lot about installing them. My friend told me how to install it but if anyone has any pointers
or tips please let me know.

This is the radio that is in the explorer: http://www.ebay.com/itm/FORD-EXPLOR...-radio-CD-player-2001-2002-2003-/120796006291

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I will Try and Help ! .

You Can use the stock radio if you use a Line Output converter . You wire in the Line output converter into the Rear Door speaker wiring and run your Rca wires from that to your amp for Input signal .

I prefer to do this At the Harness so you get less distortion from the length of wiring in the vehicle . Make sure you run your Power wire to amp , and your Rca Signal wiring on the opposite side of the Vehicle , so you get Zero interference and or Alternator Whine from your sub . Also Try and use less than 2-3 Feet of Ground wire . The shorter the better .

If you wish not to fool with the line output converter you can just buy an Aftermarket head unit and utilize the proper Rca and remote wire connections , You will get better sound and performance from your door speakers and Sub from a Quality Head Unit .

Hope I helped And Good Luck ! .

Thanks for the help. I think I will go with an aftermarket head unit. I'm a high school kid on a budget so I would like to buy a good but cheap head unit. I also want something that would require the least amount of modification. What would you recommend?

Another dumb question. Using the stock radio how does the amp shut off when the vehicle is shut off. Or does the amp stay on?

An amplifier has a spot for a remote wire you need to use a tester to find an acessory wire behind the sterio its a wire thats off and turns on when the key is on I would use a t tap from that wire and run it to the amp in the back. If you have a car audio place near you you could ask them for a t tap if there cool theyll probably just give you one or you can try an eletrical store

Well I decided that I'm only going to run wires today. I'm going to get an aftermarket radio. What would i need to install an aftermarket radio (what wiring harnesses, faceplates, etc.) I have run into trouble with the positive power wire and finding how to put it thorough the fire wall. If someone could post a picture or pictures ASAP of how you ran the wire. Sorry about all the questions this is my first time installing a sub. Thanks everyone for the help.

Well I decided that I'm only going to run wires today. I'm going to get an aftermarket radio. What would i need to install an aftermarket radio (what wiring harnesses, faceplates, etc.) I have run into trouble with the positive power wire and finding how to put it thorough the fire wall. If someone could post a picture or pictures ASAP of how you ran the wire. Sorry about all the questions this is my first time installing a sub. Thanks everyone for the help.

You need a harness to make wiring the radio a breeze and a dash kit. Crutchfield will tell you what part you need when you put in the make and model.

Wires for the amp are simple to run. If you follow the brake pedal up you will see a black rubber grommet that you can put a hole in and run the wire through to the battery. Run it on the left side of the car under the kick panels and carpeting to the trunk or wherever you mount your amp. Ground it to bare metal in the trunk or wherever it is mounted, make sure you sand the area thoroughly to get a proper connection. Run your RCA and turn on wire for the amps on the right side in the same fashion as the power wire, under kick plates and carpeting to your amp.

Also I have a Sony radio that should be good for your application that I no longer use that I can let go real cheap if you are interested.

Hope this helps.

What happens if the remote, power, and RCA's are all ran together? And thanks for the advice on the radio and what I will need. And what is the radio that you have?

What happens if the remote, power, and RCA's are all ran together? And thanks for the advice on the radio and what I will need. And what is the radio that you have?

Basically you will pick up interference from the power cable in your RCA cable and that will be heard from the sub, better to just be safe than sorry. Plus its easier to run them along and under the passenger side dash than the driver side (at least in my experience). Also if the amp you have or are getting has a low pass filter put that on also so the sub isn't trying to play frequencies it cant handle.

I'll pm you about the radio.

If you're installing a sub, you will need speakers that can keep up with the sub, and the most important piece to that equation is having a quality head unit. If you go with that cheapy head unit, and you plan on running your stock speakers, you might as well not install the sub. Save up and start with a quality deck. Great alpine units can be had for 180 bucks, and don't forget speakers that will be able to keep up with the sub. And i can't stress this enough, get quality cabling! If you plan on running spind with a sub, all of the components have to be able to keep up with each other. Otherwise you'll just get a bunch of dirty base. You might be able to knock your side view mirror off, but it'll sound like crap and people will clown.

Back