Need Community Help/Advice with my Sport Issue | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Need Community Help/Advice with my Sport Issue

exilepa

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 Ruby Red Sport
Those that haven't read my previous post, here is a little background. My Explorer Sport has been experiencing an issue of a buzzing noise being heard through the speakers while the radio is on as the time same time as the heated/cooled seats. The noise is magnified even louder if a phone call is attempted or just pressing the voice command button.

Here is a timeline of events thus far:

4 February 2013 - Vehicle dropped off at Ford dealership to have a few warranty issues addressed. Main complaint being the buzzing noise. I am placed into a 2010 Ford Fusion for a loaner call while they repair my vehicle.

6 February 2013 - I call dealership late afternoon to inquire status as I haven't heard from them yet. I am informed that they have looked into all of my concerns and fixed what they can. The troubleshooting guide says to order a Sync APM. I am also informed that their "tech guy" has been very busy this week.

8 Februrary 2013 - I, again, call the dealership to inquire status. I am told the part did arrive however they have been very busy and their tech guy may come in on Saturday to work on my vehicle.

11 February 2013 - Dealership calls me to inform me they replaced the APM however it did not fix the buzzing noise. The Ford troubleshooting guide tells them the next step is to replace a digital sound converter/filter. They need to order the part. I ask if I can be placed in a different loaner vehicle that is more conducive to my job as I move computer equipment around quite a bit. I am told they 2013 Escape SE they can put me into.

12 Febuary 2013 - I stop by dealership in the morning to pick up the replacement loaner car.

14 February 2013 - I, again, contact the dealership to check on status. I am told they did receive the part however their tech has been very busy and will get to my vehicle later that day.

15 February 2013 - Dealership contacts me to inform me the digital sound converter part did not fix the problem and "Ford engineers" will need to be contacted. Again, I am told their tech guy will come in on Saturday and contact the engineers as they really want to get my vehicle back to me.

19 February 2013 - Dealership contacts me. Ford tells them the next step is to replace the body harness.

22 February 2013 - After ecalation to Ford Customer Service by Crystal I am contacted by the Regional Customer Service Representative at Ford. She says she has talked to the dealership and they are going to replace the body harness. I am informed this a very time consuming repair and she will contact me again on Tuesday to see how things are going. I contact the dealership late in the afteroon as it has again been 3 days since I've been contacted by them. I am informed that they are going to replace the harness and that yet again their "tech guy" may come in on Saturday to work on my car.

26 February 2013 - Contacted by Ford Customer Service as promised. She is told that they have the harness installed in my vehicle and that they are putting the interior back together. She says they service manager has informed her this is normally a 1-2 day process. On a side note, she seems rather annoyed to be dealing with my issue.

27 February 2013 - I am contacted by the dealership. They tell me they have started the process of removing the interior of my vehicle to replace the body harness. I am informed that their "tech guy" had said this a much more involved process than they thought it would be.

1 March 2013 - I am contacted by Ford Customer Service to see if I have my car back and am happy with the repair. She seems rather surprised to hear that I don't have my vehicle back yet and is going to call the dealership to find out what is going on. Here is where things get interesting -- Ford Customer Service calls me back. She has contacted the dealership and told that during the tear down they discovered that they needed to order another part that Ford didn't include in the shipment. I say, "So they had the part in and had to tear it back apart after they had the harness in already?" She says, "Yes." I am livid after hanging up the phone at this point and can't for the life of me undestand why she isn't questioning this obvious conflict of information.

1 March 2013 - The dealership contacts me late in the afternoon to inform me that Ford has told them to halt the repair where they are. I am told something to the effect that the Ford engineers want them to try something with the wiring either adding a wire or re-wiring something. Even the service advisor I am dealing with doesn't seem very clear on this.

I hope you're still with me after all of that! Tomorrow starts the 5th week that my 2013 Explorer Sport has been as the dealership. I will now make my car payment for a vehicle I haven't driven in over a month.

I feel as though Ford Customer Service is useless quite honestly. She is informing of nothing I didn't already know and seems to have no greater power than I do as the consumer. She really does seem she could care less about the situation. I informed her that I have had to keep postponing a vacation I had planned due to not having a sufficient tow vehicle.

I need advice on how to handle this guys. I've never had to deal with something like this before and am generally an easy going/level headed type person. Of course everyone and their brother says this situation is "bullsh$t" and that Ford should "Pay my car payment," or they should "Give me an Explorer off the lot until mine is fixed," or even "Ford should just give you a new d@mn car!"

This is my 4th new Ford in the past 6 years.

I feel powerless and don't know what rights I have as a consumer right now. I do think I am owed compensation but I don't what I should be asking for in this situation.

In my eyes, I've purchased one of the most expensive vehicles Ford sells and I shouldn't be driving a stripped down Escape at this point any longer. One other variable to throw in -- I didn't purchase the Explorer from this dealership however I have purchased from them in the past. I should also mention I have not been back to see my vehicle since this has all started. This will be remedied tomorrow.

Advice? Suggestions? Am I over reacting? Thanks for any help you can give guys!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Not sure on the laws in your state but I believe in nj you would qualify for the lemon law as they have had it for so long and can't fix the repair. Maybe you can look into that and have ford get you a new explorer.

Not sure on the laws in your state but I believe in nj you would qualify for the lemon law as they have had it for so long and can't fix the repair. Maybe you can look into that and have ford get you a new explorer.

I am in Ohio, I'll have to research the law. How painful would the process be and will I need an attorney?

Number one, you should be driving a ford explorer loaner not a escape you should ask for that second i had seen this type of work done at my local dealer and yes they have to remove the whole interior seat's carpet seat belts i mean strip down to the shell to remove the harness and i really think it is the harness an nothing else the wire that feeds the speaker to the amp is not grounded or pinched. Hope the tech guy can put it all back together correctly that is the issue when getting explorer back inspect it with a fine comb. Best wishes to you on this matter.....!

I would want a new Sport and have Ford buy back yours as the dealer has had it way too long. The fact that they have not fixed it and are taking out your interior to hopefully fixed it would have me very apprehensive of taking it back. This is an expensive new car and you deserve better.

Sounds like a ground is not making contact somewhere... and they have no clue where

Sounds like a ground is not making contact somewhere... and they have no clue where

I agree! This is what I've said it was from the beginning. I'm very leary and apprehensive about the fact that the whole interior has been removed from the car.

Contact BBB and begin the lemon law. I personally would not want a brand new vehicle completely ripped apart and put back together. I doubt the dealership has had to do this to an EX yet and would not want to be the guinea pig.

It is unfortunate as the seems like a bad gremlin somewhere that could happen to anyone.

Agreed with others re: lemon law. I wouldn't want my brand new car ripped apart and sitting at the dealership for a month. How good do you think they are going to reassemble everything?

You should at least ask to be compensated financially for the month your new car was sitting in the shop and you had to drive a cruddy loaner. You aren't making car payments (or lease payments) to drive a loaner.

Others on this board have lemoned their cars themselves without lawyers and had luck. I can't image a lawyer would charge that much though.

...I need advice on how to handle this guys. I've never had to deal with something like this before and am generally an easy going/level headed type person...

Hi exilepa,

Your customer service manager will be reaching out to you tomorrow to discuss your Explorer's status. I encourage you to share the concerns you've listed here with her so that she can address them. I know she'll do what she can to assist.

Please let me know how things go moving forward.

Crystal

Hi exilepa,

Your customer service manager will be reaching out to you tomorrow to discuss your Explorer's status. I encourage you to share the concerns you've listed here with her so that she can address them. I know she'll do what she can to assist.

Please let me know how things go moving forward.

Crystal

Thanks Crystal, you are correct, the customer service manager is supposed to reach out to me tomorrow. Now that I have everything documented out with timline I'll see what she says. Thus far it appears that perhaps she isn't getting the full story from the dealership on the status. I really am trying to remain as polite and professional as possible. I was raised to treat people how I would want to be treated. I don't want to appear to be a pushover at this point either.

I would not accept the vehicle....Here in Virginia, 30 days out of service is grounds for Lemon law proceedings.

I agree with the others, I wouldn't want the car back. I did some simple google searches on "Lemon law Ohio" and it looks like the fact that they've had the car for 30 days (total) in the first year (doesn't even have to be at one time) is grounds for getting them to buy it back. (http://www.dmv.org/oh-ohio/automotive-law/lemon-law.php)

At this point, it seems as though you really have the upper hand. You may want to contact a lemon law attorney, as they do this all the time and would be more likely to get you a quick resolution. I can't imagine it would be much, because this seems straightforward. And, it looks like you may be able to get your attorneys' fees paid for anyway.

Best of luck to you.

In a situation like this Ford should step up and offer you a new sport like yours and call it a day. They can send that car back to the factory and start over. Bull$&*! is right!

Please don't hold your breath waiting for Ford to replace the ex. You will die of oxygen starvation. If you want it replaced proceed with a call to the BBB and request the paperwork for arbitration and do not wait. The longer you wait the more it will cost you, depending on your state laws.

Please don't hold your breath waiting for Ford to replace the ex. You will die of oxygen starvation. If you want it replaced proceed with a call to the BBB and request the paperwork for arbitration and do not wait. The longer you wait the more it will cost you, depending on your state laws.

From the Ohio Attorney General website;
HAS THE MANUFACTURER HAD A REASONABLE OPPORTUNITY TO REPAIR THE VEHICLE?
If you can answer “yes” to any of the following four questions, the manufacturer is presumed to have had a reasonable opportunity to repair your vehicle under Ohio law.

In the first year or first 18,000 miles, whichever occurs first:
• Has the vehicle been in the shop for a cumulative total of 30 days or more during its first year or 18,000 miles, whichever occurs first?

How can I request a refund or replacement of my lemon?
To request a replacement or refund, send a certified letter to the manufacturer. You can find the address in your owner’s manual, or you can ask your auto dealer.

In your letter, list the problems you have had with the car, what attempts have been made to correct them and your Vehicle Identification Number (VIN), which can be found on your purchase contract. Finally, indicate whether you want a replacement of the vehicle or a refund of the full purchase price. Keep a copy of the letter for your records.

Should I send the certified letter as the website suggests or do I have to go to through the BBB process that is listed in the owner's manual first?

Do both but definitely get the BBB involved. If you like your sport, request a replacement. Although you are frustrated the situation, it is just that one vehicle.. I am sure you won't have that problem with another Sport.

I definetly do/did enjoy the Sport very much! I just want to have it replaced with a vehicle free of the same issue. Hopefully the process isn't going to be too painful.

Well I don't mean to defend the dealer but really I would wait and see a reasonable amount of time and hopefully get back the vechicle you wanted corrected. The saturday guy is the dealers problem and should not be the customers.

On the payment thing that is really not the dealer or Fords problem. They don't specify how you pay for the vechicle when you purchase it. If you had to borrow money to buy it that is between you and the bank. Again I am not defending anybody just expressing reason here. If you buy anything the method of payment is always left up to the buyer. The seller has nothing to do with it.

I can remember days when no one ever got a loaner for anything. I think that is a postive benefit from the dealer. You could be walking but I do understand you would rather drive what you purchased but think about it if they tried to keep on hand what everyone purchased just for repairs. Seems a little unreasonable to me.

I hope it works out for you but I would proceed with caution here. Its not the best circumstance and could happen to anyone, but if you get the car back better than ever hopefully you will be happy. If not you do have recourse avalible.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Well I don't mean to defend the dealer but really I would wait and see a reasonable amount of time and hopefully get back the vechicle you wanted corrected. The saturday guy is the dealers problem and should not be the customers.

On the payment thing that is really not the dealer or Fords problem. They don't specify how you pay for the vechicle when you purchase it. If you had to borrow money to buy it that is between you and the bank. Again I am not defending anybody just expressing reason here. If you buy anything the method of payment is always left up to the buyer. The seller has nothing to do with it.

I can remember days when no one ever got a loaner for anything. I think that is a postive benefit from the dealer. You could be walking but I do understand you would rather drive what you purchased but think about it if they tried to keep on hand what everyone purchased just for repairs. Seems a little unreasonable to me.

I hope it works out for you but I would proceed with caution here. Its not the best circumstance and could happen to anyone, but if you get the car back better than ever hopefully you will be happy. If not you do have recourse avalible.

Oh, don't worry at all about sounding like you're defending the dealership. In reading my intial post it does seem filled with quite a bit of emotion. The internet gives a pretty solid sounding board at times that can really show a side of us that isn't who we really are!

I do believe the dealer is genuinely trying to fix the problem, but at the same time I do belive that 30 days is a reasonable amount of time. I am generally a pretty calm/level headed person and don't let emotion cloud my judgement too much. When I really step back and look at it, it is still just a car.

I truly do hope that Ford does the right thing in this instance and just replaces the vehicle for me when I request it. If they indeed do, I'll be the first person to reply on this board singing their praises!

Back