Mpg | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Mpg

I'm wondering if my injectors are clogged and dripping, too.

When I bought the truck I could get 20 on highway, and avg'd 18. Now I can't break 16.

Engine is in good condition, tune up, no vac leaks, all sensor operation verified by lab scope.

And it started after my fuel pump and fuel rail sensors all died together. I was trying out E85 and I think it loosened up crud in my gas tank.

Pulling the fuel rail soon to do valve cover gaskets, might try replacing 3 injectors and see if there's improvement.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Another thing that can affect mileage and power is if the timing chains are knocking the knock sensor will pick it up and keep the timing retarded.

You may not be able to hear the chains audibly. But the knock sensor picks up the vibes through the block.

I've actually seen this happen and observed it on a lab scope.

Just got back from a road trip, mainly I-75. Got 19.2 and 19.6 on two tanks of gas, so was happy with that. In town gas milage is always around 15 which I guess is ok. After owning my 04 for about 6 months, overall very happy with it.

FYI the on-board computer is not as accurate as you think. if you wanted to get accurate numbers off that you would have to reset it every time you drive and then do some math to get the average. Ever notice that when you reset it fluctuates drastically? The computer is taking the average so if you reset it on before going on hwy it will show u a better number. if you reset it while put- putting around town you will see a lower number. Get a scangauge to monitor realtime mpg's and other useful info.

the most accurate way is to take mileage and divide by the amount of gallons it takes to fill it up. technically its 100% accurate.

i get anywhere from 17.5 mpg to 23 mpg combined. both numbers i am happy about with a 5k+ lb SUV.

FYI the on-board computer is not as accurate as you think. if you wanted to get accurate numbers off that you would have to reset it every time you drive and then do some math to get the average. Ever notice that when you reset it fluctuates drastically? The computer is taking the average so if you reset it on before going on hwy it will show u a better number. if you reset it while put- putting around town you will see a lower number. Get a scangauge to monitor realtime mpg's and other useful info.

Yeah. See what happens when you reset while coasting down a hill.

Yeah. See what happens when you reset while coasting down a hill.

I am amazed at my MPG when I do that! haha

I had to explain to the missuss that the factory MPG gauge isnt always correct and that after putting new valve gaskets, intake gaskets, sparks, wires, coil pack, and several bottles of B-12 that it is getting better MPG now.

I have read somewhere that getting the new PCM upgrade can improve MPG as well, any takers on that theory?

My local dealer quoted this awesome deal.. "PCM upgrade STARTS at 115"

02 mpg

I got an 02 Explorer XLT 4.0L in December 2012. Seller said it only got 14mpg, but I knew it could be better. I changed the dirty air filter, properly inflated the tires, changed oil to Mobil 1 full synthetic and ran three bottles of Gumout high mileage fuel system cleaner through the tank. Last time I checked I got 20mpg combined city/highway. I'm going to replace the spark plugs and wires this week, and should get another 1-2 mpg.

Back