Headers and exhaust for 97 mountaineer 5.0l | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Headers and exhaust for 97 mountaineer 5.0l

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 awd v8
I have been searching all over the net for headers. I dont need $700 headers, im looking for something around $100-200.

Exhaust, I was wondering if anyone has any pics of how there exhaust is ran? I thought about having it come out in front or right behind each back tire. I just dont know how to clear the gas tank.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You wont even find a used set of header for an explorer for that price.

I have been searching all over the net for headers. I dont need $700 headers, im looking for something around $100-200.

Since the Explorer is such a commonly modified performance vehicle it should be easy to find a set of $100-200 headers....

:D
Since the Explorer is such a commonly modified performance vehicle it should be easy to find a set of $100-200 headers....

You'd think. Golly why are the parts so hard to find?

Maybe if you look on craigslist in your area.

There is a pretty good 5.0 exhaust thread. You might take a look at that for ideas.

If you can find a set for that cheap please let me know where. I want a set for my sport.

you can find headers for the 4.0l all day on the net, but I cant find bbk, jba, or any other headers for the 5.0l explorer.

Because they don't exist. There is a heavy aura of sarcasm in the thread. People for years have wanted $100 headers, they don't exist. You can go with TorqueMonster, or make your own. Someone is working on a cheaper set, but AFAIK they have not really finished.

you can find headers for the 4.0l all day on the net, but I cant find bbk, jba, or any other headers for the 5.0l explorer.

Thats because they were made for the 4.0l Ranger (more commonly modified) and they just happen to fit the Explorer.

Personally,
I wouldnt put a set of $100 headers on my vehicle. At that price, they would be cheap junk that wouldnt fit right, have thin flanges that warp at the first sign of heat, and be made of cheap metal that completely rots away in a few years.

I think my truck has the cast iron heads, that would make them the gt40 not the p heads right? Also does anyone have part numbers for the ranger headers that fit?

Non "P" amd "P" heads are all cast iron heads. Non P heads have an internal EGR. P heads have an external EGR.

I do have the gt40 head I checked and it only has 3 lines on the head. will mustang headers fit if I have the exhaust redone from headers back?

'Stang headers will bolt up to the heads, but that pesky chassis will get in the way.

TorqueMonster will not reply back to you , or will promise to call back and never will , does anyone know how or know any one that has haders that will fit?

What you CAN do is move east let the exhaust rust till there is a 2 in hole right below the cabin. Then you got your 302 nascar sounding X/ Mountaineer XD

Better late than never.......

Better late than never.......
Slow too.

Here's a picture of someone's two tail pipes under the back, or just two mufflers back there.

Explorer dual tailpipes.jpg

14802Duals.jpg

Back