• Register Today It's free!

97 v8 4 inch lift mpg???

All American

Reaction score
City, State
Fredericksburg VA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 Explorer 5.0 xlt
thinking about getting a 4inch lift wondering what kind of mpg yall are getting??

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have 3-3/4 inches of lift, via TT and rear springs, Mine is a 2WD though, but i'm still running (NEW) 235-75-15 tires, and i get 22+ MPG's.

the biggest part of lifting an Explorer is to accommodate taller tires,,
and with taller tires, there needs to be other changes as well,
stock gearing is set for a stock tire size, so it will not work well with taller tires as well.
once you decide what size tires you want to have and find out what gearing is in the diffs than that will tell you what you need,
if it has a 3:73 gear, and a 235 tire, if you go to a 33 inch tire you need to regear up to at least a 4:56 gear ratio, and that will make the mileage the same as stock,

4.10 for 33's, 456 for 35's with v8 power. ;)

Before a lift though I would swap your awd case to a true 4wd 4406 with low range. Lifting with awd will cause all kinds of issues to be addressed, one of them is a new drive shaft. Then you will want low range and have to get another drive shaft when you do switch the transfer case --so nip it in the bud.

The lift kit will not affect your fuel use as much as the tires you fit will. The 4406 swap will allow you to drive in 2wd mode, which should save fuel.

thanks guys and also Turdle how does one exactly switch to 4wd from awd?... id have no idea where to start

Back