Fuel Filter Replacement w/pics | Page 10 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Fuel Filter Replacement w/pics

Flex fuel

My 2003 4.0 is flex fuel.Inside your fuel filler door it should say E85 .I took the easy way out on my filter $20 at my local dealer to install the filter I bought online[made in the USA not China]:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yeah, my '03 4.0 WAS also a Flex Fuel.

Yeah but the sticker on the inside of the fuel door can come off. Not that it really matters anyways, it'd just be good to know. I'll see if I can find out with my VIN.

The outlet line stinks. After messing with it for 1+ hours with both plastic and metal tools I wasn't able to release it. The 2 lines on the inlet side are simple, why did ford need to make the outlet different? I gave up and I'll just take it somewhere to have it replaced. I can't even get 2 hands up there to mess with it.

hello, I have a 2002 mountaineer 4.0 awd with 163,000, and find the mercury site useless for ideas. I found the metal tool usefull for the drivers side single line, but could not keep the retaining spring fully disengaged to remove the line. a real pita! I made a wood shim with a v cutout and a 1/2" hole (to fit over the gas line) out of oak flooring, you have to thin it to 1/2" thick so it fits between the filter body and the tool.i did not jam it hard, only enough to maintain the presure on the spring while i could wiggled the darn line off. I spent 1 hour before this trying to remove the line. There is so little room up there for such a simple connection, I was so frustrated .

Finally got mine changed with the little blue aluminum tool, it was still a major pita even with the right tool.

Need to change my fuel filter on my 2004 Explorer XLT. We cut the filter off my fiancees 2005 F150. Replaced it with braided fuel lines in that area around the filter. The filter would not come off even with the tool. Hoping we will not have to do the same on this vehicle.

Hey there.I bought a Made in the USA factory filter online and took it to Don Reid Ford In Orlando they put it on for $20.00.My filter on the 2003 xls had the three hoses and for twenty bucks it wasn't worth the pain everyone seems to have doing it in their driveways.

Hey there!

2002 Explorer XLS. Just finished replacing my filter. Ford really wants everybody to pay for the replacement service, it was difficult but got it done!
Thank you all for the info

I just have to say two things. First, this thread has been a ton of help. Second, whoever designed these "quick" disconnect fittings should be kicked in the crotch about 30 times.

30 TIMES MY FRIEND IS NOT ENOUGH. THEY SHOULD HAVE NAILS DRIVEN INTO THEIR BALLS!

If this is a government "required fitting" that would figure!

So I thought I could maybe solve some of my sputtering issue as it looks a though the factory filter is on there at 250,000 miles...I seriously hope it isn't the factory one. I have done a few filters in the past. I replaced the one on our 98 and it was nice and easy right where you can put both hands on it and have more room. Well I was wrong and spent 2 hours on just the outlet side using the expensive metal disconnects. I'll be going home this weekend in order to do this in the garage with the plastic ones that worked previously.

Edit: and I smell like gas I started the car with the fuel pump off...end result when I partially disconnected the first inlet hose the pressure was great enough to pop it the rest of the way off and blow gas everywhere (blew not trickled)

Just spent about 2 hours trying to get the fuel filter out of my 2004 Eddie Bauer and gave up! Even with the right release tool it would not come off. Truck has 196,000 and don't think it has ever been changed. I will let my local garage deal with the headache for $40! Very frustrating....this is mechanics 101 stuff.

Just replaced the fuel filter for the third time (120,000 mile tune up). Here are some lessons learned that I had forgotten and a couple of pics:

• Practice your setup with the removal tool on the NEW fuel filter.
  • Push the outlet line toward the old filter end as much as possible.
  • Hold the line in place as you get the 5/16" removal tool in position.
  • The tool should insert into the line nicely (but not flush) with about a 1/8" gap.
  • Remember the tool can only go as far as the metal ridge on the filter, so once it is in, pushing harder on the tool does not help!
  • Hold the tool steady on the old filter (up to the ridge) and pull hard on the line.
  • If the line does not release, remember this is a battle between the tool and the line. Pushing/pulling the filter doesn't do much.
  • Continue trying to get the tool as far into the line as possible (pushing) and then pulling the line off.
  • The tool spreads the line open enough to slide over the metal ridge on the old filter.
  • Be ready for gas to run down your arm. :thumbdwn:

View attachment 282289

20130330_094718800x600_zps54b4528b.jpg

my pita is the clip that unlocks and is pushed up . cant get the %$#@&*)^%$#$& to push up.

any tips how to get it out, what size of fuel disconnect you guys use for the line? mine is a 2003 ford explorer 4.0 v6 xls its has 3 ports

Just replaced the fuel filter for the third time (120,000 mile tune up). Here are some lessons learned that I had forgotten and a couple of pics:

• Practice your setup with the removal tool on the NEW fuel filter.
  • Push the outlet line toward the old filter end as much as possible.
  • Hold the line in place as you get the 5/16" removal tool in position.
  • The tool should insert into the line nicely (but not flush) with about a 1/8" gap.
  • Remember the tool can only go as far as the metal ridge on the filter, so once it is in, pushing harder on the tool does not help!
  • Hold the tool steady on the old filter (up to the ridge) and pull hard on the line.
  • If the line does not release, remember this is a battle between the tool and the line. Pushing/pulling the filter doesn't do much.
  • Continue trying to get the tool as far into the line as possible (pushing) and then pulling the line off.
  • The tool spreads the line open enough to slide over the metal ridge on the old filter.
  • Be ready for gas to run down your arm. :thumbdwn:

20130330_094631800x600_zpsb6cf14ff.jpg

20130330_094718800x600_zps54b4528b.jpg
That's the wrong size tool. The line is 3/8 so you need a 3/8 tool. 5/16 won't go all the way around the line so some of the little clips won't get pushed back.

Yeah, I used the 3/8" metal tool like the one in above post. I think it was gold colored, and I got mine from NAPA. Worked good once I had the right tool.

That's the wrong size tool. The line is 3/8 so you need a 3/8 tool. 5/16 won't go all the way around the line so some of the little clips won't get pushed back.

I understand it's a 3/8" line. I'm just stating what has worked best for me. I have the tool kit that includes four different sizes (including 3/8") and I have used the 5/16" tool every time. The 3/8" tool seems to be a bit too thick to fit under the fuel line fitting correctly. Hence there are previous posts describing how to file it down a bit. Go with what works. :thumbsup:

I finally got the inlet lines off by forceing a 5/16 removal tool in and pulling back on the lines[it was not easy]. The clips on mine are diff, than on the instructions, they are smaller and would not move, but I got the lines off. The outlet was the tough one with much prying , twisting, pushing and pulling it came off. I was more conserned that the lines would reseal but they did. [ the inlets with a tap with a rubber mallet].

I've got the same vehicle with the inlet connectors that don't seem to be like any other models. Flathead, were the inlets the same connector type as the outlet, just in a different housing? Is the type of fuel line tool used on the outlet the way to get them off?

I wasn't sure after reading your post if I should be looking for some other type of tool.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I changed the fuel filter yesterday. After fighting with it for an hour I was able to get it out. I install the new filter and ran the car to make sure I have no leaks. When I install the cover I realize that I put the filter the wrong way thanks to the pictures in this post. I was surprised that the car ran with the filter installed wrong. I had to redo the job and install it the right way.

Because I installed the filter the wrong way did I damage it and I need to install a new filter?

Back