Headlight Amber Lens Tint | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Headlight Amber Lens Tint

Did you use the self stick flexible "angel eyes" led strip that you cut to length? And did you install them on the interior of the lens or outside?

Yes, I did use the self stick flexible led lights. Hopefully they don't go out on me anytime soon. Otherwise, gonna have to throw into the oven again!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Looks pretty sweet!!

Complete! From this (actually the easiest part):

IMG_1527resize.jpg

To this:

IMG_1558resize.jpg

IMG_1551resize.jpg

IMG_1554resize.jpg

Was very labor intensive. Toughest part was baking several times to soften the seal around the edges of the headlight unit, prying open then cleaning the channel of the remaining OEM sealant. But overall happy with the result.

BTW RichV, love your ride! Might have to copy your idea of tinting the rear tail lights. Looks great!

Thank you sir. I did mine the easy way, but your EX looks incredible! Tint those tail lights and you are golden!

VERY NICE!

Any nighttime pics of the LED's?

Sorry for the glare but here are some quick pics I took of the modified headlights at night:

IMG_1781resize.jpg

IMG_1783resize.jpg

IMG_1787resize.jpg

IMG_1793resize.jpg

^^^^^

Nice pics
Thx for sharing

Just so you guys know, the self adhesive stick on led lights tend to dim a little after 6/months or so of use (but yours seem like they are different b/c of the spacing). Mine where on the outside of light housing unit but non the less they dimmed after time. I'm about to replace them with the same thing again but a new set so they look brighter again.

Luckily mine are super easy to replace and I just use quick disconnect wires to plug up new ones. It's about a 10 min process (15 w/ a beer).

If I had the nerve and patience to bake the headlight I would defiantly do something more bright with better daylight performance.

Mine an be seen at link below:
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=333821

Good luck with you lights, it looks good!

Tinted lens looks bada$$ cvillanu! I don't have the patience or time to do that so hopefully a similar aftermarket set will come on the market soon w/HIDS.
Hoping to achieve a similar look as your ride when I get our White 2014 Sport.
What size and make are the wheels?
Are those calipers painted or a cover as was mentioned earlier?

Thanks in advance

Tinted lens looks bada$$ cvillanu! I don't have the patience or time to do that so hopefully a similar aftermarket set will come on the market soon w/HIDS.
Hoping to achieve a similar look as your ride when I get our White 2014 Sport.
What size and make are the wheels?
Are those calipers painted or a cover as was mentioned earlier?

Thanks in advance

Thanks Steadfast! Was a pain to do but happy with overal result.
The wheels are 22x8.5 Falken RT-7M w/ 265/40/22 Falken Ziex tires. Keep in mind this set up is not as wide as the stock 255/50/20 tire/wheel combo. I think I should have at least gone with a 285 width tire. But not sure if that is too wide for an 8.5 in wheel.
Just wanted to add a little color to the dark profile so I installed the red MGP Caliper covers from CarID.

That looks great. Some of the sema explorers had clear lenses too. I wonder how they did that?

the amber lense is removable, once the headlight is baked open. then you could just paint black behind it. the sema explorers seem from the pics i've seen to have inserted different lighting for the turn signals and running lights, and then maybe a couple lines of reflectors? I'm still tryin to figure it out just from lookin at the pics.

To the guys that have removed the amber lens completely...
Is there anyway you can post a pic or PM..text..email me one of what it looks like with out the amber once the headlight is put back together?

I have a project going on through work and could use this ASAP.

Thank you so much!

To the OP, that tint looks very nice man.

GALPIN correspondence

Hey Guys, I contacted GALPIN to ask how they did the 2011 SEMA headlight mod...here is the correspondence:

----- Original Message -----
FROM EMAIL: sean.goodall@xxxxxxx.com
TO: galpinreply2@galpin.dsmessage.com
Sent: 2/10/2014 10:26:30 AM
Subject: Re: Explorer head lights

Ok, do you know What did they install after they removed the amber lens to give that look? With best regards, Sean

-------------- ---------------------------- --------------
REPLY FROM EMAIL galpinreply2@galpin.dsmessage.com

Dear Sean,

Thank you for taking the time to e mail us about the explorer head lights. I have an explorer myself and I also like those lights.

What we did with those lights is bent a plexi glass tube and added an LED light at the end to give the illusion of a glowing tube.

Unfortunately those are not lights that we can purchase. We actually opened the light housing and removed the amber lens inside. this of course can be done again but it is a tough process. When we do a job like cracking the light housing often times the housing will break. What this means is we sometimes find ourselves needing to buy new head lights and trying again which can make the price go quite high.

I have not seen any replacement head lights for these vehicle as of yet but I would not be surprised to see some hit the market soon.

If there is anything else I can answer for you please do not hesitate to shoot me an e mail or give us a call.

http://galpinautosports.com/2010/10/g-a-s-tosses-its-hat-in-the-sema-explorer-ring/http://galpinautosports.com/2010/10/g-a-s-tosses-its-hat-in-the-sema-explorer-ring/

Very cool. Thanks for posting that. I thought about emailing Galpin myself, but didnt think they wouldve responded. May try the plexiglass tubing myself once I get the courage up to crack my headlights open.

I've asked them to provide me with where and what material type specifically they used....I'll let you know the response.

I'm thinking that these would probably work: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001GQ3MLQ?tag=italgo-20 . Not sure what width would be the best tho.

I keep hesitating on crackin open the housing, cause I want to be sure and have all the supplies on hand. I don't want to open the housing twice, and I kinda need headlights to drive around ;). This makes ordering online difficult, but I was unable to find a local store that carries acrylic rod.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

window tint on headlights?

i was thinking of taking my XSport to the place that tinted my windows and having them tint the orange part of my headlights. has anyone else done this?:D

Back