Any fix for water in spark plug wells 4.6L? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Any fix for water in spark plug wells 4.6L?

pjw73nh

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
08 LTD
See my original thread http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=322777

I have read a lot about this issue. I have a 2008 w/ 4.6L. I (thought) I checked the wells this weekend. I took compressed air and a long screwdriver and circled around each plug/COP to loosen the dirt etc. Then blew it out. I got more dirt out of #7 and #8 than the others, but not that much overall. There was no sign of moisture (but the car is not skipping now either). This is where the "thought" part comes in. I "thought" I WAS looking in the wells. Apparently I need to take the COP's off and look in the "real" wells. I didn't do this. Is this correct? Is the water I am supposed to be seeing UNDER the COP rubber seal?

Also, This "water in the wells" issue appears to be on many Ford products with this engine. Seems to affect many 4.6l's back to the mid 90's. Some say manifold gaskets. Some say the plastic manifold itself. Some just say poor design. Some say heater/coolant hose leaks.

Did Ford ever acknowledge any of this? Even if it is just a TSB? Seems to be common enough that something should have been issued. Not looking for a handout from them. Just an acknowledgement of the problem.

Does anyone know if the later versions of the engines are different (better). If so do you know what year. IE is my 2008 a "good" one...

Thoughts? Comments? Suggestions?

Thanks.

P.../NH

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

washing your engine will get water in plug wells.

only fix is silicone the plug boots in, which i would say not to do.

washing a cop engine will get water in the wells end of story.

a leaking manifold will leak if it leaks on the plugs it will go in the wells. its not a water proof seal.

just dont wash the engine with a hose.

change spark plugs, that will get rid of that mis-fire. the plugs are expensive about 20 bucks each plug. and read up on changing the plugs because the plugs can break off in engine.

This reply may be to late to add value to the topic but I had an interesting related issue that only started happening when I changed the way I parked my truck. My driveway is on an steep incline. For the longest time I parked facing front uphill. I have no water in the plugs problem until I started to park my truck front facing down hill. I changed because it was easier for me to release the parking brake (see another thread posted on the subject). After a three day rain plugs 6 and 8 got water in the well and started misfiring. Like my doctor said. "If it hurts to do that... Don't do it".

It's been said and I tested it on mine:

the water in plug wells is from the windshield. When it rains the water drips thru the clip holes at the bottom of the shroud - way to go Ford. I though my manifold cracked or something worse.

I bought a piece of aluminum siding trim at Home depot and screwed it over the motor under the windshield to divert the water to the sides (not on the ECM)

I bought a piece of aluminum siding trim at Home depot and screwed it over the motor under the windshield to divert the water to the sides (not on the ECM)

Can we get a picture of this?

let me see if I have any, and if not I'll take one and post

IMG_0555_zps28e1cbed.jpg

IMG_0558_zps94279973.jpg

Awesome! Thanks for the pictures.

Is that isolation module on the right side stock ? I have the same year, model, and engine and I only have a power distribution box there.

It's for my Fisher plow. I just attached it to the cover of the fuse box.

Interesting... I'll give it a try this weekend. Definitely before the next rain. I just changed out my spark plugs after 75K miles. It was breaking up at high speed. It is running well now and I want to keep it that way.

I took a garden hose and poured the water very gently on the windshield and watched it go down, and then drip on the cylinders thru the clips.
Sorry Ford - the stupidity has no limits.

water in plug wells

I just want to share my fix in this thread after reading the home depot fix for this problem. Thanks for the idea. It works.

A had a sheet metal guy make an aluminum water troth to keep water out of the sparkplug wells that looks like a Ford TSB fix. It attaches to the firewall without any new hardware to existing hardware on firewall. I am not sure how to upload photos for those interested but will find out if anyone cares to see it.

I did not know Ford had a TSB

What's the number ?

I am sorry for the confusion. The comment meant it say the fix is good enough to be a Ford TSB. They should make one like it. It cost me $40 for a custom made part. It probably would be easier and cheaper than redesigning the windshield cowling and clips that current pass rain water directly onto the engine spark plug wells.

I just want to share my fix in this thread after reading the home depot fix for this problem. Thanks for the idea. It works.

A had a sheet metal guy make an aluminum water troth to keep water out of the sparkplug wells that looks like a Ford TSB fix. It attaches to the firewall without any new hardware to existing hardware on firewall. I am not sure how to upload photos for those interested but will find out if anyone cares to see it.

I'm glad to see i'm not the only one who goes through this problem every time it rains. If you would like to email me the pictures, I'll be more than happy to post them on this forum for everyone to see. PM me or email me at "BEAST1957302 at yahoo.com"

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Just curious how those Accel coils are working out for you. I bought a set from Amazon for $227.00 and just about all of them have failed. I'm slowly replacing them with Autozone coils just because there is a warranty that comes with them.

Back