Here's Our New Ride! | Page 12 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Here's Our New Ride!

I know nothing about photography, so is that anything like shooting in the BUFF?:eek:

Thank you for getting the joke! I always suspected it, but now it is confirmed. cnsheets is officially awesome :D

On a side note, some of the pictures are a little off because we were shooting some pictures through the window tint, both the factory in the 2nd row and tint from the local shop on the fronts. Most of the time we rolled the windows down, but if little-man was sleeping, we kept 'em up to keep the noise down.

Speaking of noise, it almost became reflexive cracking the front windows when someone rolled down a rear window. It kept the buffeting under control :thumbsup:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Day 18:

I left San Angelo at 10:34am on my way back to Houston. Headed southeast for a while before I met up with I-10 west of San Antonio, passing Fiesta Texas along the way (I never realized that it was just off of the freeway!). I rounded the city and made through it and continued on I-10 to home. I stopped in Sequin for some gas and food, hopped back on I-10 and that is when it began. A horrific 80mph to screeching halt traffic jam, over and over again. Looking at the traffic on the NAV, it was going to be this way all the way to Houston. From what I could see, most of the problem was caused by idiots hanging out in the fast lane, not passing anyone, just cruising along. Arg!!! That is so frustrating. To this day it just dumbfounds me that people can be so clueless as to basic rules of the road and courtesy. I'll move on cuz this will turn in to a rant very easily :)

The traffic was awful. We'd be cruising along then bam! slam (and I literally mean slam) on the brakes. The red light was flashing and beeping in the windshield and I got to see how good my reflexes (and those behind me) were. At one point, both lanes of traffic moved to the fast lane to make room for a stream of cars entering the freeway. And then it happened--slam on the brakes. One car ahead of me swerved into the grass, an 18-wheeler a couple of cars behind me began emitting copious amounts of swirling gray smoke from its tires, as the cars entering the freeway slammed on their brakes and swung to the shoulder to give the big rig room to stop.

At that point I had enough. So I instructed Samantha to avoid freeways and began my trek along old highway 90 and several small FM's and state highways. Samantha did a wonderful job routing me through the back country. It actually turned out to be a great little ride through some lovely country. All in all, it actually ended up being a few miles shorter to get home, but a little longer time-wise. I rolled up into the driveway at home at 5:48pm (original ETA before all of the traffic was about 4:20). Not bad, and I was relieved to be home.

Final 3 fuel-ups came in at 20.32mpg, 21.76mpg, and 19.03 (thank you traffic :() with a final odometer reading of 14983.6.

So, here are some stats for you all:

Total Miles Driven: 5,853.2
Gallons of Gas Burned: 267.74
Average Gas Mileage: 21.86
Amount Spent on Gas: $962.65
Average Cost per Gallon: $3.595
Seeing and Doing All That We Did: Priceless

I hope you all enjoyed our trip :)

If you have an questions about any aspect of it, including any advice planning your own trip, feel free to ask!

gdecamp, you didn't think we really were going to leave it out, did you? :D

Well I'll be!

Nice place isn't it? You need to get there before sunrise and watch it light up. We actually had a buddy who was a "top gun" with us from the base who showed us around.....we really had a blast there!

Thanks for the pics, nice job again!

Well I'll be!

Nice place isn't it? You need to get there before sunrise and watch it light up. We actually had a buddy who was a "top gun" with us from the base who showed us around.....we really had a blast there!

Thanks for the pics, nice job again!

The night we were there was a full moon. When we were checking in, the person behind the desk told us that they keep the park gate open until 10pm to allow people to come in and see the dunes by the moon-light. He also said, at 11pm, they kick everyone out! lol. We were all too tired, and the 3 year old wouldn't have lasted without all of us paying for it, so Stephen borrowed the car and went out there. He said it was awesome. The dunes just kinda glowed, but that the rest of everything was pitch black, and that from every direction you could hear voices and partying going on. He said it was the coolest thing. I am not sure if he was able to get any pics or not. I can only imagine that a sunrise over the dunes would be spectacular!

That also reminds me that I will probably come back here and post a few additional photos here and there when I get finished looking through all of the photos. Between the 3 of us, there are over 10,000 pictures to be reviewed! :eek:

Okay, I couldn't stand it, so I did some quick fixes on the White Sands pictures and actually made the sand white! :)

Okie-dokie, I updated Day 14 with some pics from the inside of the UFO museum for you alien-conspiracy fans and added a couple of shots of the awesome McDonalds.

Nice new images Vince! I also liked the updated White Sands pics, very nice!

I am heading to NM on Dec 3rd for a week, will hit White Sands a couple days as well. Problem is I am booked on American Airlines....sigh. :(

Nice new images Vince! I also liked the updated White Sands pics, very nice!

I am heading to NM on Dec 3rd for a week, will hit White Sands a couple days as well. Problem is I am booked on American Airlines....sigh. :(

Thanks. I tried to do at least some quick fixes the White Sands pics, I didn't feel like I was doing them justice.

Do the mountains around there get snow that early in December? That would be cool to see! What is the problem with American Airlines? Had a bad experience before?

EDIT:
Whoops, looked like some links were broken...FIXED!

Thanks. I tried to do at least some quick fixes the White Sands pics, I didn't feel like I was doing them justice.

Do the mountains around there get snow that early in December? That would be cool to see! What is the problem with American Airlines? Had a bad experience before?

American is bankrupt and now in the news because they had loose seats in some of their aircraft. With my luck they will strike the day I am suppose to leave..lol

We went last December and there was a blizzard, -7 degrees F, closed interstate and on and on. So YES there can be snow.

http://decamp.net/gallery/Bosque2011

These are some photos from Bosque del Apaache I took last December. Bosque is near Socorro NM. Was below zero 3 out of 5 days I was there.

Anyway thanks for posting the new pics, real nice job!

American is bankrupt and now in the news because they had loose seats in some of their aircraft. With my luck they will strike the day I am suppose to leave..lol

We went last December and there was a blizzard, -7 degrees F, closed interstate and on and on. So YES there can be snow.

http://decamp.net/gallery/Bosque2011

These are some photos from Bosque del Apaache I took last December. Bosque is near Socorro NM. Was below zero 3 out of 5 days I was there.

Anyway thanks for posting the new pics, real nice job!

Oh yeah, forgot about American's difficulties lately.

Your photos are breathtaking! You are an inspiration for me to improve my technique. I am really thinking I need a polarizer. Would the Nikon circular be a good jack of all trades type of filter? I'm kinda lazy (hehehe), and not fond of switching stuff off and on my camera (too cumbersome with a 3 year old to keep after :)).

Your photos are breathtaking! You are an inspiration for me to improve my technique. I am really thinking I need a polarizer. Would the Nikon circular be a good jack of all trades type of filter? I'm kinda lazy (hehehe), and not fond of switching stuff off and on my camera (too cumbersome with a 3 year old to keep after :)).

Hey thanks! You are doing great, keep it up!!!

Yep a circular polarizer is sometimes a big help. The biggest thing is to shoot early in the morning and in the golden hours of the evening. I know that is not always possible especially with a 3yr old! However, if possible keep that in mind as I am sure you know it's all about the light!

Just a quick update:

I finally added the last of the pictures to Day 16. They are of the missile park on the White Sands Missile Range. Enjoy!

Nice ride Vince! Thanks for all your help! I really dig the color [I have the same color for my ex]. A little jealous of your second row captain chairs though...

Nice ride Vince! Thanks for all your help! I really dig the color [I have the same color for my ex]. A little jealous of your second row captain chairs though...

Thanks and you are welcome! The color was my wife's choice ultimately (I was secretly hoping she would pick the Sterling Gray), but she also liked the Dark Blue Pearl of the 2011 and 2012. She wasn't excited by the blue on the 2013's as she prefers a really dark blue on cars, so the Gray won by default.

We really like those captains chairs. The console is cool for three reasons: the two convenient cup holders, the little cubby right behind them, and the spacious storage under the cover. We didn't need the extra carrying capacity of the bench and wanted the sliding functionality to give the 2nd row more space as our 3rd row is rarely occupied. They also happen to be very comfortable for long rides (though I can't compare to the comfort of the bench not having spent more than about 60 seconds total sitting on one during the shopping process).

Hey all,

Been a while :)

Getting ready to take the Gray Ghost in to get all of the little issues we have come across fixed. Going to make an appointment when we find a good time.

Here is what we are going to have fixed:

1. Weather stripping where front doors meet B pillars wearing through and cracking.

2. Seat trim on front passenger lower seat cushion front keeps popping off.

3. Sulfur/ozone/exhaust smell through A/C vents when accelerating still a problem.

4. Paint falling off of parking sensors on front bumper.

5. Leather on driver’s seat is wrinkling and showing excessive wear (especially right side upper bolster – leather finish is rubbing off with raw leather exposed).

6. Factory applied sealant at base of driver’s side tailgate hinge is cracking and separating from vehicle.

7. Tailgate is skewed with passenger side edge forward several millimeters of taillight lens (it is flush on driver side).

8. A strong, musty odor from vents when A/C is on is still a problem.

9. Faint creaking noise heard when turning steering wheel to the left or right.

10. Sound of transmission has changed recently, accompanied by harsh shifts periodically (especially when moving between drive and reverse).

Oil change needed.
Tire rotation needed.

I'll keep you posted as to how everything goes. We are trying to decide if we want to take it to Joe Myers or Tomball Ford. Any experiences from fellow Explorer owners in Houston?

Hey Vince, good to hear from you again. Are you planning on taking us all along on another road trip this Summer? If, so, I hope that you get all the issues addressed on the Gray Ghost. I'm still plodding along and up to about 8500 miles and 22 months to go on my 48 month lease.:)
Hope all is well with the family. Take care my friend.:thumbsup:

Peter

Hey Peter! We probably won't be going on a trip this summer. I might be getting a new job in the next month or two and there is the real possibility of us relocating to Dallas in August-ish. So, it doesn't look like a trip will be in our near future.

We are over 27,000 miles now with the Ghost celebrating its first birthday last month. The miles have really slowed down to a more realistic pace. We still love the car and look forward to getting all the little stuff taken care of.

Thats quite a list - seems like these items should not be issues for another ? 9 years or more?
Although some of it must be due to harsh summer temps...

Hey all,

Been a while :)

Getting ready to take the Gray Ghost in to get all of the little issues we have come across fixed...

Hi VinceL!

I'm happy to get your regional customer service manager (CSM) looped in on all of these concerns; they'll ensure they are all addressed by your dealership. To get started, shoot me a PM with your VIN, mileage, dealer, daytime phone number, and full name. I'll get to work!

Crystal

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

DON'T move to Dallas - there's already too many up here !!!! :)

kidding - kidding - come on up - glad to help if you need some ideas about the different areas from a local .... good luck on the job !

On edit - just ran thru all 200+ posts in this thread - great pics and commentary !!!

Reminds me of our trips thru there years ago.... Now that we are back into Rv'ing after a 30 year hiatus :) we are thinking of heading to cooler climes this summer !

I recall driving a class a thru the Garden of the Gods and wondering WHY did they let me in here ?!?!

Stunning place !! and thank goodness we weren't towing too big a toad !!!

Back